Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android help needed - constant "data roaming off" notifications

Options
  • 24-10-2014 5:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Anyone help me out, searching for an answer for the last few days and no luck.

I've just switched from ios to android recently and I'm away on holidays now and I've switched off my data through the phone settings, but I'm constantly getting notifications every few mins telling me that "data roaming is turned off"
    This is melting my head and I've tried to google but can't get an answer.
    Some people say it's a bug in kitkat and you need to root your device to turn off the notifications.
    I don't want to go down that road, I thought I was free from hassle when I got rid of the iPhone, jailbreaking and all that.

Anyone experience this problem too when abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

No idea, I got it once on tesco mobile/ oneplus one, but switched it off somehow * unrooted btw. I have data enabled switched off in settings and data roaming switched off too, you could try that. maybe if you list your phone and or mobile provider it could help someone who has been on their holiday with the same network as you.
    Sorry im feck all help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

stoksyXL wrote: »
    I've switched off my data through the phone settings, but I'm constantly getting notifications every few mins telling me that "data roaming is turned off"

Have you also switched off "data roaming"?

I'm just guessing, but I'd imagine if that's switched on but your data is turned off, the phone might be confused about your intentions.

The data roaming can be found in Settings > More... > Mobile networks > Data roaming > [check or uncheck the box]

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

I'm guessing you were referring to this link?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-lg-g2/367307-repeat-data-roaming-notifications-t-mobile-lg-g2.html

I wonder if turning "data roaming" on, but turning "data enabled" off might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

biketard wrote: »
    I'm guessing you were referring to this link?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-lg-g2/367307-repeat-data-roaming-notifications-t-mobile-lg-g2.html

I wonder if turning "data roaming" on, but turning "data enabled" off might work.

Yeah, that's the one.
    I've switched off the necessary settings and still getting the constant notifications.

I'm on o2 using the latest android 4.4

stoksyXL wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the one.
    I've switched off the necessary settings and still getting the constant notifications.

I'm on o2 using the latest android 4.4

Anyone else experience this when abroad lately?
    Currently out of the country now and getting this "data roaming off " notifications every few mins.

I've gone into the phone app settings and turned off notifications from there, as that's where they seem to be coming from, but no joy.

I didn't think it would be this much of a chore to be able to turn off data roaming on my phone.

My last iPhone, just turn off data roaming, one switch and that's done. Simple.

This android lark is getting on my tits and can f**k off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

stoksyXL wrote:
    I didn't think it would be this much of a chore to be able to turn off data roaming on my phone.

It's not a chore for anyone else otherwise you would have many people replying relaying similar experiences.

Are you able to stop the phone automatically looking for a network operator - change it from auto to manual? It's possible your network provider is not handing you off correctly to their foreign partner in the country you are travelling .

If the phone wasn't set up with your google account, I would suggest a sim card from another phone network like Vodafone, just to confirm it's not related to your network. But, I'm not sure if it will mess up your setup putting another sim card in.

Sounds to me like a clean re-install of your Android image may be necessary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've had this issue with Three even in Ireland. It happens when no data connection is available so the phone assumes not to turn on roaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Not sure if this will work but I had a similar enough issue. If it shows up in your notification centre pull down the menu then press and hold on the notification and see if you get a "Ignore messages like this" and select it and that should stop it coming up.

Mourinho wrote: »
    Not sure if this will work but I had a similar enough issue. If it shows up in your notification centre pull down the menu then press and hold on the notification and see if you get a "Ignore messages like this" and select it and that should stop it coming up.

Tried something similar, no joy. I press and hold the notification and then go into app info.
    Turned off the actual notifications from the phone app that's sending the notification. But still coming through.

Advertisement