Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oneplus Invite *Read 1st post

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

its a fledgling company, they needed to ensure there was a way for them to cope with demand, this was their way, google did it with several of their products including gmail. This way I think was fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Invites, what do you think?

They did just announce a pre-order system. So there was that too.

Also, see daytob's post. Without an invite system they'd have been screwed.

It's not like invites are hard to come by anyway. Your loss over something trivial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

don't know about this as a great marketing ploy, I'm going elsewhere with me few quid, one plus one = 0

Did you try to get an invite ? I doubt anyone who made half an effort to get an invite was waiting too long.
    Between August and October invites were plentiful ,was hard to give them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

yabadabado wrote: »
    Did you try to get an invite ? I doubt anyone who made half an effort to get an invite was waiting too long.
    Between August and October invites were plentiful ,was hard to give them away.

I only needed a new phone over the last two weeks, last August is no good me, I accept they are a new company but how is it other phone companies can go to market with a product and adjust to demand, my point is that a lot of potential business is being lost, there aren't many in sales who would see this as a success. If you have a good product back it!

I only needed a new phone over the last two weeks, last August is no good me, I accept they are a new company but how is it other phone companies can go to market with a product and adjust to demand, my point is that a lot of potential business is being lost, there aren't many in sales who would see this as a success. If you have a good product back it!

There's been so much business lost because of the invite system a second phone is in the pipeline for Q2 2015.

I think you'll find, firstly, that there isn't many startup smart phone companies selling globally, and that secondly Oneplus selling to the open market would have killed their business as they would never have met the demand and would have been inundated with bad press. Particularly, the fact that the early OPO's were riddled with issues and the tech support at OPO left much to be desired. So they were just about capable of managing their small user base.

They would have been the death of their own success if they done it any other way.

We're going to see OPO around for a very long time and thats most definitely partly due to their strategy of how they got it to the market.

It's not OPO's fault that you want a phone right now and cant wait for an invite to come your way. I posted an invite in this thread a few days ago. After me 3 more invites within the hour were posted and gone. You could have got one extremely easily in the last two weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

According to the opo forums no more invites will be sent out until after the pre-order date. I got one about 10 days after ordering my first phone (already shared here) and should be getting a few more as I got another opo for my sister in law yesterday and the one for my son will be arriving today.

irishmover wrote: »
    There's been so much business lost because of the invite system a second phone is in the pipeline for Q2 2015.

I think you'll find, firstly, that there isn't many startup smart phone companies selling globally, and that secondly Oneplus selling to the open market would have killed their business as they would never have met the demand and would have been inundated with bad press. Particularly, the fact that the early OPO's were riddled with issues and the tech support at OPO left much to be desired. So they were just about capable of managing their small user base.

They would have been the death of their own success if they done it any other way.

We're going to see OPO around for a very long time and thats most definitely partly due to their strategy of how they got it to the market.

It's not OPO's fault that you want a phone right now and cant wait for an invite to come your way. I posted an invite in this thread a few days ago. After me 3 more invites within the hour were posted and gone. You could have got one extremely easily in the last two weeks!

Apologies I thought that was how consumerism worked, you need something and you go out and buy it, companies compete for your business and try and get your business before others do. By the way I've better things to be doing than stalking boards for two weeks, only became aware of phone a few days ago not two weeks ago! Thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

id say their first phone has been very successful for them, but they should definitely get an easier distribution method for their second phone, the invite system is a pain in the ass for anyone who needs a new phone quickly

Even if you became aware of the phone in the last few days, you should know at least that it was hard to come across one, its not just as simple as wanting it and buying it, they arent samsung or htc, just yet. No one said you had to stalk boards for an invite, there were people at the time able to get one from the moment one went up.

• Advertisement

Hence why I said August to October.
    Anybody looking for an invite in the last 2 weeks would have gotten 1.I had 2 invites expire because no one wanted them and only last Saturday I found it very hard to give another one away.That's one user on boards.There are numerous ways to get an invite.
    The only time it was difficult to get an invite was in June and July but since August its been very handy you only need to look through this thread to see that.

Hence why I said August to October.
    Anybody looking for an invite in the last 2 weeks would have gotten 1.I had 2 invites expire because no one wanted them and only last Saturday I found it very hard to give another one away.That's one user on boards.There are numerous ways to get an invite.
    The only time it was difficult to get an invite was in June and July but since August its been very handy you only need to look through this thread to see that.

Where are they so?

Where are they so?

Reddit, boards,xda,OnePlus forums to name just a few all have different threads offering invites.Set up notifications on those threads would be a start.

You only heard about the phone 2 days ago and are complaining about the set up,have you even tried to get an invite ?

You could also set up the pre order now and it will be processed on the 27/10/14 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Reddit, boards,xda,OnePlus forums to name just a few all have different threads offering invites.Set up notifications on those threads would be a start.

You only heard about the phone 2 days ago and are complaining about the set up,have you even tried to get an invite ?

they also gave away around phones 100 this week on their facebook page. as well as the oneplus community facebook page constantly giving away invites pretty hard not to get one at this stage.

I think its a very good marketing ploy as it means they can control the demand to keep it in line with their capital and production cost. they only need cash to make what they can sell and are left with no excess and can keep costs down, which are obviously being passed to the consumers.

I heard about the phone 2.5 weeks ago and have managed to get 4 invites for friends of mine while i decided if I wanted to get this or the nexus6. Now i have seen the nexus price point i know I can get the one plus for my self pretty easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I've heard the invite has to be acted upon within 24 hours. Is this true as I wont have the funds for two weeks so is there any point looking for an invite now?

Slunk wrote: »
    I've heard the invite has to be acted upon within 24 hours. Is this true as I wont have the funds for two weeks so is there any point looking for an invite now?

yes, you need to be ready to buy. so just pass the invite along if youre not.

edit.
    just found this new info on another site (new to me at least)
    Actually from the time you accept the invite they give you 24hrs to purchase. Example: Someone has an invite that is expiring in 2hrs... If they send it to you and you accept it within the 2hrs you will have 24hrs from the time you accept to purchase or it goes back to them. If you don't accept it within the 2hrs or they don't send it within the 2hrs it is lost/gone until more invites are given. Which may not happen again for that person for a long time if it happens again at all.

not sure if that affects your position or not

• Advertisement

You could also set up the pre order now and it will be processed on the 27/10/14 .

Christ, that's alot of work I just want to buy a ****ing phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you had even the slightest clue what you're talking about you'd know it wasn't.

Carphone warehouse sells phones, you can purchase online. pretty sure there are some stores as well if you dont wish to purchase online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

in that case jog on to your local CPW and buy a phone from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

They made a phone that beats all flagships in benchmarks and they made the price 1/2 of those flagships and they are a startup company that has no where near the manufacturing capabilities of those flagship manufacturers. What do you think would happen if they had just let anyone and everyone order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Google are doing an invite system for their new Inbox app. Similar approach and they are a massive company and have billions of cash reserves behind them.
    However a phased invite based release creates major interest in products and also ensures that its going to actually work when it gets released to the wild. Ensures a small company like OPO can handle production demands and also keeps the user base small so they can cope with the influx of interset it will create. I would imagine as the company becomes bigger over the years then you will be able to pick up a OP in your local phone shop.

Makes no difference to me but if you think setting up a few notifications is work then this phone probably isn't for you anyways.
    head into your local phone shop and buy a phone for near twice the price but half the spec.

wait for the general release then

Thargor wrote: »
    If you had even the slightest clue what you're talking about you'd know it wasn't.

It is when you're busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Walking to a phone shop will take more time so no, you're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

I just picked up my oneplus one. So far great phone. It's not to big that it's uncomfortable in your hand. Had to Google how to put the sim card in couldn't for the life of me find where it went in

It is when you're busy
    mustnt be that busy to log in here at 9:57, 12:01, 12:48,13:19,14:41 and 16:44. in the times spent logging into the forum, and replying you could have pre-ordered your oneplus on the site, or buy from vodafone,et al, or the cpw

daytob wrote: »
    mustnt be that busy to log in here at 9:57, 12:01, 12:48,13:19,14:41 and 16:44. in the times spent logging into the forum, and replying you could have pre-ordered your oneplus on the site, or buy from vodafone,et al, or the cpw

I make exceptions when answering pricks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

I'd be very grateful of an invite if anybody has one to spare? Have my pre order set up but hate waiting :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i assume i have to order via parcel motel and i need an invite as i wont be able to make the pre sale.

• Advertisement

Apologies. Thanks anyway

No problem, thanks for the apology. Best of luck with your new phone, whatever it is I'm sure it'll cost you a lot more, and run slower than a OPO.

I know I'd never be too busy to pass up on something like this.

irishmover wrote: »
    No problem, thanks for the apology. Best of luck with your new phone, whatever it is I'm sure it'll cost you a lot more, and run slower than a OPO.

I know I'd never be too busy to pass up on something like this.

Sorry is the hardest word to say except when someone else says it for you!!! Thanks

irishgeo wrote: »
    i assume i have to order via parcel motel and i need an invite as i wont be able to make the pre sale.

Yep you need to order via parcel motel. Invites are not being given out until after the pre order is over with according to multiple people on the opo forums.

Out of interest has anyone here used mailboxde.com to forward this phone to ireland? If so what was the final cost? I don't mind waiting a few extra days for the phone if I can get it cheaper by paying in euros instead of GBP

My OPO was signed for in Parcelmotel Belfast yesterday but no sign of it being checked in on my PM account :( Contacted them via Twitter this morning - very quick response and they're looking into it. Good job I paid for the extra liability cover but would still have to try my luck with the pre-order system/invite if they can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ZeroBarry

Can I get an invite please, would love to order one of these phones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

digitaldr wrote:
    My OPO was signed for in Parcelmotel Belfast yesterday but no sign of it being checked in on my PM account  Contacted them via Twitter this morning - very quick response and they're looking into it. Good job I paid for the extra liability cover but would still have to try my luck with the pre-order system/invite if they can't find it.

you made me paranoid so I checked mine too. Their system hadn't updated but it was in transit to the motel box I chose. Yours is the same hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I had some issues with Parcel Motel too. My order took like 3 days longer and I was worried that something had gone wrong but I just emailed them and it was sorted fairly quickly and I have it waiting in my local station for me now to collect after work.

Less than a week E2E. happy enough!

Phew it's showed up now on my PM account and is in transit to the lockers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tommybc

Can I get an invite please? would love to order one of these!

• Advertisement

digitaldr wrote: »
    Phew it's showed up now on my PM account and is in transit to the lockers :)

Will you give a heads up here when yours is in the locker? Mines been in transit since mid day, last time it was at the motel within 2 hours.

2 hours is very good. I live very close to the Dublin depot and I reckon they must leave my local locker until last as it's always around 11pm by the time I get my text or on one occasion midnight!

digitaldr wrote: »
    2 hours is very good. I live very close to the Dublin depot and I reckon they must leave my local locker until last as it's always around 11pm by the time I get my text or on one occasion midnight!

Delivered to PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Vapechick

How does one get an invite, I have no idea at all. Just would really love this phone.

Vapechick wrote: »
    How does one get an invite, I have no idea at all. Just would really love this phone.

Google is your friend.

Google is your friend.

I went on to the site and regged to pre order but usa was the delivery address . I then heard you can get an invite here.

Maybe soon you can just buy without an invite?

Sorry if this was wrong to post, genuinely have not a clue . May stick with my note 3 for another while

thanks for the help

• Advertisement

Vapechick wrote: »
    I went on to the site and regged to pre order but usa was the delivery address . I then heard you can get an invite here.

Maybe soon you can just buy without an invite?

Sorry if this was wrong to post, genuinely have not a clue . May stick with my note 3 for another while

thanks for the help

You can buy it for one hour on monday between 3 and 4 pm. That is what I am going to do.

You can buy it for one hour on monday between 3 and 4 pm. That is what I am going to do.

thanks salamanca, thats what I was trying to do, but option for delivery was only US. Am I doing something wrong?

thanks salamanca, thats what I was trying to do, but option for delivery was only US. Am I doing something wrong?

Do i still need an invite for that, seems I do?

you need either parcelmotel account or mailbox.de, you dont need an invite for pre-order, just be ready to buy at 3pm on monday
    change the flag down the bottom to uk or germany and use either parcelmotel or mailbox.de

daytob wrote: »
    you need either parcelmotel account or mailbox.de, you dont need an invite for pre-order, just be ready to buy at 3pm on monday
    change the flag down the bottom to uk or germany and use either parcelmotel or mailbox.de

I have parcel motel, oh thats brill. thanks a million!

• Advertisement
Advertisement