Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athboy

Options
  • 18-10-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know where Winding Harbour was in Athboy? It shows up on the 1901/1911 census but it must have changing name over the years as I can't find it on map now. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You may get more luck posting in the Meath forum.

Though a quick Google pulled up this :
    In 1845, during the turmoil of the famine, the Roman Catholic Church of St James which replaced the former chapel, was built on O’Growney Street (formerly Winding Harbour and Chapel Street) named after Fr. Eoghan O’Growney, native of Athboy and advocate of the Irish language and the Gaelic League.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

Thanks Ponster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Elizabetha my g-g grandfather lived in Winding Arbour. I'm fairly sure I've made a note of where it is. Will check when I get home later.

Thanks Googled eyes.

Elizabetha, sorry I've just got home and all I have is what Ponster told you.

But I do know that the old chapel that St' James's replaced was at No.2 Winding Arbour.

• Advertisement

Thanks Googled eyes... thats very interesting as my g g grandad lived at number six winding harbour in the 1901 census.

My g-g grandfather ran the grocery shop at number 22 in 1901 but had moved out to Newtown/Ballyfallon in 1911.

Advertisement