Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproofing Windows

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Caoimhe15

That's great I'm having the same problems as you , how is the noise does it really make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nige1978

Caoimhe15 wrote: »
    That's great I'm having the same problems as you , how is the noise does it really make a difference

For me it made a huge difference! High pitches noises like sirans or alarns can still be heard but are much more muted. Traffic noise is pretty much eliminated.

I'd highly recommend them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Caoimhe15

Cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hi nige1978, could you give me an idea of cost per window? PM me if you like.
    Seems like a good solution :)

Thanks,
    Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Sorry to resurrect an old tread just looking for some info on this.

From what I can see the standard in the UK and US, aestethically anyway, is way above what the Irish companies are doing.

compare the photos on this uk website: http://www.soundblockerwindows.com/ to any of the Irish ones.

I really like this idea but it has to look right. I would appreciate if someone who has had this work done show me some pics..

• Advertisement

This is the company I used and if you click on the image you'll see pretty much what mine look like.

http://www.windowsealflyscreens.com/secondary_glazing.html#

nige1978 wrote: »
    This is the company I used and if you click on the image you'll see pretty much what mine look like.

I used them too and there was a very good reduction in sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

are you happy with how the room looks with it done?

To be honest from the pictures I've seen it does not look good, especially if you have nice windows it would look terrible having an aluminum sliding window placed in from on them.

To be honest from the pictures I've seen it does not look good, especially if you have nice windows it would look terrible having an aluminum sliding window placed in from on them.

Didn't bother me at all, ive lost most of the window sill but I don't like anything on them anyway. The room side frame is fairl thin and blends in well to match the openings of the existing window. I've wooden venetian blinds on the inside of the secondary glazing so it can't be seen from outside.

Not hugely, but I think regardless of what you put there it's going to look odd. For this reason I only put them into the two bedrooms and left them out of the living room and kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Not hugely, but I think regardless of what you put there it's going to look odd. For this reason I only put them into the two bedrooms and left them out of the living room and kitchen.

A word of caution here lads.
    The building regulations lay down minimum sizes for window openings in Bedrooms, for escape in a fire. Many older windows do not meet these sizes. So putting an internal screen, the same size openings as the original windows makes the problem worse.
    Think not only of your family getting out, but a fully equipted fireman getting in, the opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Harold from windowsealflyscreens did windows in my house too.
    I had a problem with neighbours dogs barking and it has really reduced the noise I can hear from outside.

martinn123 You are right to mention beign able to get out in the case of emergency.
    These windows are designed to be easily lifted out of their runners and removed from the inside, glass and aluminium bar and all, for cleaning or escape.
    I have taken all mine down by myself without assistance to clean them and would be able to lift them out quickly and completely if there was a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

How much did they charge? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Redtin

Hi Folks,

Don't know if this thread is still live...

I have the same problem as some, with street noise. I live in a town, and while traffic noise is not an issue, I have a problem with noisy pedestrians walking home from pubs, clubs etc in the small hours of the morning, up to 3 - 3.30 am, particularly at weekends - talking very loudly, shouting, singing etc etc, while we're all trying to get some sleep. Extremely annoying.

I note some posters have used windowsealflyscreens company with some success. Has anyone any experience getting the same work done by Keane Windows, in Dublin? I see from their website they do similar "Secondary Glazing". Anybody use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Resurrecting the thread as I have a few questions if people with secondary glazing experience are still around (just moved on a street with fairly heavy traffic noise).

1) my windows have tickle vents to ensure proper ventilation of the room, do secondary glazing windows include the same so that they don’t block the airflow (I am confused about this as I assume air vents wouldn’t be good for soundproofing, but on the other hand you do need to renew indoor air).

2) I need the bedroom to be pretty dark to be able to sleep and currently have blackout blinds inside the window opening, and I am afraid secondary glazing will not allow this kind of setup. Does anyone have a good setup to keep their room very dark with secondary glazing?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dbs103

Just came across this and would be interested to hear (rough) prices etc. from anyone that has gotten it done.

Either of the recent posters go ahead with this? If so how do you find the noise reduction.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Kondo69

I'm going to bump this one! Has anyone else solved this issue recently? I've seagulls nesting near my house and the noise they make from 5am is horrendous. It's coming in through my bedroom window, I am willing to pay well to solve this. Any suggestions? I've tried ear plugs. Thanks

Kondo69 wrote: »
    I'm going to bump this one! Has anyone else solved this issue recently? I've seagulls nesting near my house and the noise they make from 5am is horrendous. It's coming in through my bedroom window, I am willing to pay well to solve this. Any suggestions? I've tried ear plugs. Thanks

Not sure sure on the seagulls, secondary glazing will help a bit but high pitched noises seem to be harder to filter out. I live in the city centre and if there's an alarm going off you'll hear it easily but traffic noises is pretty much silenced.

Advertisement