Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triton T90si - pump damaged

• 12-01-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

My pipes were frozen and spent all day Sun draining the tank and putting in boiling water and eventually got them sorted. I have 2 electric showers got one working and left the other a Triton T90si to thaw out in its own time and went to bed. A couple of hours later heard a noise in the bathroom and found water gushing out of the relief valve of the shower. Turned off the water to the shower and knocked off the trip switch. Opened the unit and found there was a crack in the plastic pump section below the motor, looks like it might have been frozen and then burst. It was simple to unscrew the piece, its a seperate section like a very small plactic funnel. I've looked up the part and its sold a Pump and Motor Assembly, even though they are two seperate pieces, I cant buy the pump piece on its own. Any help me out with that piece of the pump or know where I could get one please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 winterchickens

I replaced two triton showers in the past. One for a bad switch and the other for a constant leak that I could not remedy. I kept the two old ones just in case. If you email me a picture of the part you need I will post it to you(free) if you pay the postage. PM me for my email. The only thing I ask is that you now must help out someone/anyone else with something without any gain on your part, deal? Ripples in a pond.
    Regards.
    Tom in Tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

You could try Maynooth Shower Maintanence 01-6286711. They are the official Triton service & support in Ireland.
    If they cant help you might have to buy a new shower. The T90xr should be a direct replacement for the si. Just some different screw positions but no need to change piping or cabling. Can be got for <280 yoyo in Woodies or B&Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wizards

Hi winterchickens

I have the same problem as a result of the frost and would be grateful if i could get one of the pumps from your dismantled showers, I wll PM you. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 winterchickens

Corribfitz.
    How is your shower on its last legs? Was it going hot and cold and eventually staying cold? If that is the problem then it sounds like your boiler needs replacing. This usually happens when it gets clogged up with lime form the water. The Maynooth show place will sell you a boiler for about 90 smackers. If you shop around you can buy a Triton for around 220 in the sales ( here in Tipp)and if you are going to replace your old one wit the new model you will have to drill holes in the back of the unit to correspond with the ones that are in the bathroom wall. They moved the holes with the new model.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 corribfitz

Corribfitz.
    How is your shower on its last legs? Was it going hot and cold and eventually staying cold? If that is the problem then it sounds like your boiler needs replacing. This usually happens when it gets clogged up with lime form the water. The Maynooth show place will sell you a boiler for about 90 smackers. If you shop around you can buy a Triton for around 220 in the sales ( here in Tipp)and if you are going to replace your old one wit the new model you will have to drill holes in the back of the unit to correspond with the ones that are in the bathroom wall. They moved the holes with the new model.
    Tom.
    Hi Tom
    Thanks for your reply what you said about going hot and cold was spot on and it sometimes makes a really loud noise, I think its about 10 years old so im now going to go for a newer model, Thanks again for your advice
    Cheers Ken :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 lynchysparks

alot of t 90 pumps split with the frost it is possible to repair them dependind on where they split it is normaly close to the screws so what i have done is drilled to small holes a fitted two new screws to hold the pump together. put up a picture of the pump to see if it can be repaired

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭martinosullivan

I am in the same situation, The pump is to badly damaged to repair, so if I can get that bit of plastic I can have a working shower again. Anyone who has one of these showers which they don’t want I would be happy to take it off their hands.

I have tried to see if the part can be bought separately however no company seems to sell the plastic bit on it's own.

http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/triton/triton-t90si-pumped.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Folks having a lot of experience with electric showers I have to say this.

One of 2 parts normally goes in the pumped electric shower.

1. The pump

2. The heating element.

If the heating element goes quick 2- 3 years the pump will not be far behind( 5-6 years)

If the pump goes quick it can be replaced. The heating element might last years.

Although my own true belief is you are better off going and buying another shower.

Cheapest place i know off at the moment for a T90 8,5KW is woodies.

Hi Joey
    All other components in the shower are perfect apart from this 1 bit of plastic which split with the frost. It seems a lot of waist to throw out the whole thing just because one bit of plastic split.

Hi Joey
    All other components in the shower are perfect apart from this 1 bit of plastic which split with the frost. It seems a lot of waist to throw out the whole thing just because one bit of plastic split.

Is the bit of plastic that split shapped like an elbow? (I dont have one)

• Advertisement

Is the bit of plastic that split shapped like an elbow? (I dont have one)

The bit of plastic which has split is the peace which connects into the filter Assembly, and is screwed into the pump. It can be seen at http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/triton/triton-t90si-pumped.html between
    items numbered 8 and 15.
    Above item 15 is a clamp directly above this clamp is the plastic cone where the water is forced under pressure into the chamber which is regulated by item 16 (a solenoid

It is this bit of plastic which is screwed into the pump which has broken. It has broken along the screwes which hold it into the pump.

now if the solenoid was placed directly on the pipe which brings the water in then there would have been no water in the shower to brake the plastic in the first place.

This part usually only blows from the mains supple being connected to the T90. You will get that part I am fairly certain from eartridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Hi Joey

The component you refer to looks like the pump casing to me. Inside there is an impeller which drives the water. Why don't you try to repair the crack with "LEAK - FIX" or similar "resin plus hardener" type - available in hardware or motor factor stores.

Remove the component to repair it and get a good wrap of the mixture all the way round the casing. Drill a small hole at each end of the crack first to stop it spreading, and rough up the plastic surface with some sand paper to get a good bond.

The component you refer to looks like the pump casing to me. Inside there is an impeller which drives the water. Why don't you try to repair the crack with "LEAK - FIX" or similar "resin plus hardener" type - available in hardware or motor factor stores.

Remove the component to repair it and get a good wrap of the mixture all the way round the casing. Drill a small hole at each end of the crack first to stop it spreading, and rough up the plastic surface with some sand paper to get a good bond.

Thanks for the suggestion however I already tryed it but it cracked again.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭roman0red

Hi Martin,
    I'm just picking up this thread now havign just experienced exactly the same problem as you. The pastic mould that covers the impeller has cracked. There are four screws that screw it into the motor/impeller. The plastic has cracked at two of these screw mountings.
    Did you manage to find if this plasatic can be bought seperately?

roman0red wrote: »
    Hi Martin,
    I'm just picking up this thread now havign just experienced exactly the same problem as you. The pastic mould that covers the impeller has cracked. There are four screws that screw it into the motor/impeller. The plastic has cracked at two of these screw mountings.
    Did you manage to find if this plasatic can be bought seperately?

Hi
    This bit of plastic cant be baught seperately you have to buy the hole pump which is very wasteful from both an environmental and Financial point of view.

If you can find an old shower somewhere like a recycling center then you can ask them for the bit of plastic.

Dont bother trying to repair it, I tryed and it will just snap again. My plan is to go and collect a shower from someone who has a broken heating element, and use the bit of plastic from that. I will put the remainds of the shower on http://www.dublinwaste.ie so that other people can get the parts they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Corribfitz.
    Tom.

I had this probelm too but i didnt need to get a new one, instead turn off the shower power at the mains and the water at the valve. I took out all the screws holding the boiler in place but didnt disconnect the wires on top of it. then I tapped the boiler with the handle or a heavy screw driver and watched all the limescale fall out. I kept doing this for about 20 minutes and poared some water into the boiler using a jog to flush out the loose limescale.
    shower works like new now and i saved myself over €200 by not buying anew one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 boardzUser

I'm having the same problem with my T90si after the recent big freeze. The plastic bit under the pump and motor assembly is cracked. Did anybody find this part somewhere on the internet for cheap? The best I can find is £129 but that would have to be delivered from the UK which would be more expensive again. http://www.showerdoc.com/triton/TRITO-84000090-PUMP--MOTORASSY(T90SI)?pg=116

Yip, I got a new motor from a supplier in maynooth. Don't have the URL, I'll try find it and post later. 75yoyo's if I recall correctly including P&P.

Cheers

roman0red wrote: »
    Yip, I got a new motor from a supplier in maynooth. Don't have the URL, I'll try find it and post later. 75yoyo's if I recall correctly including P&P.

Cheers

Actually its trirton Ireland who are based in maynooth! :)http://www.tritonshowers.ie/

Give them a bell in the morning - they will have had a few calls on this topic already - known fault! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 uimhirahaon

Yeah, common problem alright bordering on design fault! Had exact same problem - housing between filter (15) and pump & motor assembly (8) cracked off at both bottom screw lugs - no chance of repair. One would have thought that the internal components of a relatively expensive piece of equipment such as a power shower should be at least as strong as the external pipework/joints. The least Triton should do is provide the housing free of charge without having to buy the entire pump and motor assembly.

boardzUser wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem with my T90si after the recent big freeze. The plastic bit under the pump and motor assembly is cracked. Did anybody find this part somewhere on the internet for cheap? The best I can find is £129 but that would have to be delivered from the UK which would be more expensive again. http://www.showerdoc.com/triton/TRITO-84000090-PUMP--MOTORASSY(T90SI)?pg=116

I actually found someone who was getting rid of their old shower, and I used that for parts. Try http://www.freetradeireland.ie/ you may find someone there who has a shower which has another part gone

Clearly it is not worth paying for a complete pump & motor assembly if the separate plastic connector between this and the filter assembly is all that is damaged. In any event you have no guarantee that once purchased & installed that another part is not also damaged or having installed that it won't fail again. The viable solutions are (a) get the plastic piece/part free or at least cheap as already suggested but I expect there will be quite a run on these parts as it seems to be a common problem or (b) buy a new unit T90xr cost circa €200. The latter option makes more sense if the replacement part is costing you circa €100 as you will have a more up to date unit with 2 year guarantee.

Clearly it is not worth paying for a complete pump & motor assembly if the separate plastic connector between this and the filter assembly is all that is damaged. In any event you have no guarantee that once purchased & installed that another part is not also damaged or having installed that it won't fail again. The viable solutions are (a) get the plastic piece/part free or at least cheap as already suggested but I expect there will be quite a run on these parts as it seems to be a common problem or (b) buy a new unit T90xr cost circa €200. The latter option makes more sense if the replacement part is costing you circa €100 as you will have a more up to date unit with 2 year guarantee.

The real solution to this problem is to make sure that the pipe bringing water to the shower is not outside the house. This was often done as a quick way of bringing water to an electric shower, which was installed in a bathroom, which was already tiled.

Your shower will use less power if it doesn’t have to heat water which is colder because it has been brought through cold pipes which are out in the open air.

All pipework is inside house and properly insulated .. I think that's my point i.e. no pipes failed including pipes in the attic more exposed yet a substantial plastic component enclosed in the Triton T90si plastic casing enclosed in a shower cubicle in the middle of the house failed. I'm not an expert but this screams design fault to me.

All pipework is inside house and properly insulated .. I think that's my point i.e. no pipes failed including pipes in the attic more exposed yet a substantial plastic component enclosed in the Triton T90si plastic casing enclosed in a shower cubicle in the middle of the house failed. I'm not an expert but this screams design fault to me.

that is very strange
    did the shower stop working for a time while the weather was cold?
    did the shower then start to leak as soon as the thaw came?
    Did any other taps stop working?
    is it possible to inspect the full length of the pipe from where it leaves the upstairs tank until it reaches the shower?
    Is the pipe plastic or copper?

Normally what happens is that the pipe freezes in one place, and the ice travels the length of the pipe expanding constantly and brakes the shower as it is the weakest point of failure. if your pipe is not burst anywhere else, and I would check the whole pipe, as I would not trust a pipe which has been frozen solid, then you may be lucky if the pipe burst anywhere else it could do a lot of damage, to the house which may work out more expensive than replacing the part in the shower.

that is very strange I know, which is why I am not confident about what other damage might be done to the unit
    did the shower stop working for a time while the weather was cold? wasn't using that shower, have second shower in en-suite
    did the shower then start to leak as soon as the thaw came? I suspect so
    Did any other taps stop working? No
    is it possible to inspect the full length of the pipe from where it leaves the upstairs tank until it reaches the shower? More or less except for the bit that goes down through the stud partition - it has a dedicated 1/4" Qualpex pipe from the overhead supply tank to the shower.
    Is the pipe plastic or copper? plastic

Going by your description of your breakage it happened in the exact same location in the same piece i.e. bottom two lugs for the screws holding the piece to the pump unit.

Thanks roman0red

I rang Triton Ireland this morning and you are correct, its 70 for the part and 7.50 for delivery. However I decided to go for a new T90xr as the T90si I have is quite old now anyway. At least now i've got a 2 year guarantee. Just hope Triton have fixed the fault in the T90xr.

Got it today in B and Q. 212.50 euro in the sale.

For anyone near an M.D.O'Shea outlet e.g. Cork or Killarney they are having a sale on Sunday next between 1 and 5 p.m. and the T90xr will be reduced to circa €195

• Advertisement

boardzUser wrote: »
    Thanks roman0red

I rang Triton Ireland this morning and you are correct, its 70 for the part and 7.50 for delivery. However I decided to go for a new T90xr as the T90si I have is quite old now anyway. At least now i've got a 2 year guarantee. Just hope Triton have fixed the fault in the T90xr.

Got it today in B and Q. 212.50 euro in the sale.

Does the T90XR have the same dimensions as the old T90si ? Otherwise you may end up having to re-tile - no / yes?

As far as I know the dimensions are practically the same though the mounting holes may not match perfectly and you may need to drill some new holes

As far as I know the dimensions are practically the same though the mounting holes may not match perfectly and you may need to drill some new holes

Thats correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mayo11

seems another scam by suppliers... won't sell the part we all need seperate to the motor :mad:

probably part of the general 'scam' where manufacturers make cheap products and rely on follow up services and parts to make their profit i.e. replacing of a part that makes up less than 5% of the product, probably costs them a few cent to mass produce, yet costs nearly half the price of a new unit - go figure. Printers are a classic example - I needed a colour laser printer for my job cost €800 approx, replaced the ink cartridges after 6 months at a cost of €350. Also bought a labeller for €19.50 and had to get new labels at €16.50 - clearly more to be made on parts during the lifetime of the product while getting users on board with a cheap initial price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mayo11

yep... razors another prime example, razors cheap, blades a crazy price... capitalist class lives on, still doesn't help me with my shower though !:D

• Advertisement

Yeah but did you notice the little ad for Triton at the top of this page ...
    'the rich have got their channels in the bedrooms of the poor' - Leonard Cohen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭armstrongracer

Must be a weakness in the pump casing, ours didnt even freeze but blew itself to bits when we ran the pump with no water pressure. Must have been hydraulic pressure alone that blew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Have a kind of similar problem with 2 month old T90xr - it started just with water restrictions in the area (DUblin). At the beginning here was some strange noise (hinger tone than usual) and now it looks like only pump is working (no hot water). As far as it's on warranty (plumbing company did the work) I don't mind costs but I can't take hot shower and this is annoying. So I wonder if that's because old water tank might be dirty (as someone mentioned earlier limestone dirt in the water)? Or because recent water shut-offs when water was some kind of yellowish?

Not being an expert here is what I would suggest:
    If you still have the manual that came with the unit following the commissioning instructions (making sure to turn off the water and electricity at the mains as per instructions). If you don't have the manual you can download a copy from their website below. It is possible that the unit has been damaged but it is worth trying.

www.tritonshowers.ie/media/11724/t90xr.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

Hi all,

Has anyone ever heard of the pump assembly leaking. Tennants have said that they have not been using the shower so was trying to figure a root cause as to why it was leaking. I see from previous comments that the pump assembly cannot be provided seperatley, does anyone know how much the motor and pump assembly are as one or am i better off buying a new unit instead. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Hi all,

Has anyone ever heard of the pump assembly leaking. Tennants have said that they have not been using the shower so was trying to figure a root cause as to why it was leaking. I see from previous comments that the pump assembly cannot be provided seperatley, does anyone know how much the motor and pump assembly are as one or am i better off buying a new unit instead. Thanks

About €90 if I remember correctly, had to get two after the big freeze. Try manyooth shower center

Where exactly is the water leeking from? It could just be a oring which needs replaceing.

Advertisement