Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will Ireland be fully metric?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I go out for pints,
    Cars have horsepower, miles per gallon and top speed in miles per hour,
    I'm 6 foot 2,
    We get inches of rain or foot of snow,
    A 50 inch tv is still a big tv,

And i agree that plans dont use feet and inches, but every builder carpenter i've ever worked with still pulls out the measuring tape with feet, inches when working.

And it will never be metric while we measure our privates in inches,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why isn't Ireland fully metric yet?

Why should we be? Engineers, yes. Ordinary people who don't need that level of precision? No.

People survived without the metric system for thousands of years. And Engineers today can still not replicate the precision of the pyrimids, even with the metric system.
    WHA'???

Easier to visualize if you are over 80!

If I tell you I'm 180cm tall is that easy to visualize? Feet and inches are larger units therefore easier to visualize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Feet and inches are larger units therefore easier to visualize.

Larger than what? Metres and centimetres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Speaking of visualisation, even a brief glimpse of Operation Transformation makes me want to throw a "stone" through the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

interesting info on the French use of corde for firewood. I always thought that the American cord was eight foot by four foot by four foot. Another American unit of measure which always intrigued me was the "bushel weight" used for measuring grain quality. the weight of an eight gallon (presumably a US gallon) can full of grain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

jimgoose wrote: »
    Ah, Fahrenheit. The one unit that utterly baffles me! :D

I think weirdly about F and C. 107F is hot, but I have no clue if 32F is cold, I need to hear it in C.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    They're *AMERICAN* volts! Each time you see one you have to sing the star spangled banner.

I *saw* the star spangled banner a couple of times whilst rewiring sockets the other day. I was very grateful for 110V not 240V.

I find it funny that sites run 110V and the switch to 240V when people move in. Let's make it less safe when we finish the job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

It's frustrating when you look up a recipe on th'internet. You usually find an American one, where the measurements are in cups and fractions of cups. And fruit like strawberries are measured in pints. And their pint size is different from our pint size anyway. I think even our ounces are different! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Belgium has good roads?!

News to me! They were awful last time i was there. Ancient motorways with the worst designed junctions I've experienced anywhere. Potholes and bad surfaces on minor roads etc and highest road traffic accident rate in Northern Europe (way higher than Ireland)

Ahh stop with your metric imperialism. Belgium/Poland, whatever, pick somwhere with good roads, and insert. Albania, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

stères (1m cubed) ...

Not necessarily - it's only 0.8m² if the wood is cut to 50cm lengths, which is one of the reasons why it's illegal: L'unité de mesure "le stère" est une unité interdite par le Décret 75-1200 du 4 décembre 1975 publié le 1er janvier 1978

But since when did the French worry about the finer points of the Law. :cool:

The auld folks around here often measure flour and other foodstuffs in livres (pounds) and the pouce (inch) is still alive and well too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Feet and inches have been metric for ages.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_yard_and_pound
    In 1866 the United States legalized the use of the metric system,
    the Mendenhall Order of 1893 reversed the definitions of 1866, defining the yard and pound in terms of the meter and kilogram
    In 1930 the British Standards Institution adopted an inch of exactly 25.4 mm based on the 1927 light-wave definition of the meter. The American Standards Association followed suit in 1933.

BTW Survey Feet as used on maps are different again
    the international foot is defined to be equal to exactly 0.3048 meters
    The United States survey foot is defined as exactly 1200⁄3937 meter, approximately 0.3048006096 m.
    The Indian survey foot is defined as exactly 0.3047996 m
    pre-1959 foot in the UK of 0.304799 m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Eeden wrote: »
    It's frustrating when you look up a recipe on th'internet. You usually find an American one, where the measurements are in cups and fractions of cups. And fruit like strawberries are measured in pints. And their pint size is different from our pint size anyway. I think even our ounces are different! :confused:

1 cup is about the size of a bee sting cute boobie, 2 cups is a decent boobie, and a quart is huge boob!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Why isn't Ireland fully metric yet?

I'd say we're miles off being fully metric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They will have to stop selling the measuring tapes with imperial measurements on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Well, I suppose that since the Irish don't have a space program, it'll only really be happening once you have a plane run out of fuel half-way to its destination due to the pilots using metric and ground crews using imperial system before any real change will happen...

It must really be the bane of some people's lives, though. I remember years ago we were buying curtains, and I had all the measurements written down in cm, as you would. The husband insisted on converting them into feet and inches as well, just in case.
    When we got to the shop, the poor girl there STILL had to take out the calculator, as they could order the material in inches only, not feet and inches.

Converting meters to cm would have taken seconds, but as it was we spent the better part of 15 minutes over this. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, I suppose that since the Irish don't have a space program,
    actually we're a part of ESA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This MH370 search for the past fortnight..
    In one news report you have a mix of kilometres, miles, nautical miles, feet & metres. Then they said the Indian Ocean's deepest point is X metres, almost as deep as Everest is tall at X feet! Confusing.

Even the BBC world service is at it. They translate Chinese provided metric data to imperial data. Why!?

They translate Chinese provided metric data to imperial data. Why!?

Because imperial units are officially used to specify certain data in alot of countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I'd say we're miles off being fully metric.

Get up the yard

WikiHow wrote: »
    Because imperial units are officially used to specify certain data in alot of countries.
    We already had it in 'proper' terminology, why convert it?
    The plane crash is occurring in a metric 'region' of the world etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I can't fathom any of this!

We already had it in 'proper' terminology, why convert it?

Even though they broadcast worldwide you are seeing the UK broadcast version of it, British which use imperial for certain data, you would have alot of the British audience wondering why they were not relaying news using the official system, this is why its converted. You wouldnt have them news reading in French or other Foreign language for the UK audience would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I can't fathom any of this!

You're in too deep, Roger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Royale with cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

ScumLord wrote: »
    They still use feet and inches in the building industry, it's probably just easier to say 8ft rather than 243.84cm, or 16" instead of 40.64cm. Just about everything in the home from ceiling heights, to door widths, to the distance between the joists in your attic are in inches.

Well it is if you sell things in lengths of 243.84cm, but truly going metric would probably mean you start selling things in lengths of 2.5m instead.

David Cameron Wishes Britain Would Abandon The Metric System
    Asked by BBC whether children in schools should primarily be taught in grams or in pounds and ounces Cameron replied: I think I’d still go for pounds and ounces. Rather like we use miles and pints.
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

It's all a load of 40.9148269 l nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

323701.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yep, just read that... sure while he's at it, why not revert back to shillings and guineas?

And in the same interview, when asked if a pharmaceutical company should hire a British worker over a better-qualified forgein one, he says he wants to make sure the best-qualifed workers will be British.

Can't wait for the headlines of people being poisoned by a drug mixed by someone who didn't know the difference between an ounce and miligram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am of age where I went to school before the metric system, I do make a big effort although I am always converting in my head... the only one I cant seem to dislodge from my head is the volume of liquid I still talk and think in pints and half pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

My Uncle Myles doesn't take too kindly to being called Uncle Kilometer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

There seems to be a 1013 bar of p*ss taking in this thread to which I'd like to add my 1.59p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Officially speaking, other than traditional beer pints, Ireland is fully metric.

Mentally speaking, a lot of people obviously like the old ties to the empire as they're stuck on imperial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I miss the old units, it was great having one unit representing different quantities depending where you were in the world (e.g. imperial vs US gallon), and what type of object you were measuring (e.g. troy ounce vs normal ounce vs apothecaries' ounce).

Now if you will excuse me, I think I will go for a 100 chain walk. (That's either 2.01km, 1.69km or 3.05km, depending on what type of chain I'm using)

Knasher wrote: »
    I miss the old units, it was great having one unit representing different quantities depending where you were in the world (e.g. imperial vs US gallon), and what type of object you were measuring (e.g. troy ounce vs normal ounce vs apothecaries' ounce).

Quaint but totally confusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

They don't still use feet and inches in the building industry.
    They only use it in the auctioneering industry for describing room sizes. Only building items that are strongly imperial are plumbing fittings.

Architects and engineers don't use awkward units because it makes doing calculations and moving things around a pain in the rear.

Using metric sizing also opens up a vast array of products to you from the continent that would otherwise not be very easily incorporated into designs.

There are some instances where imperial measurements continue to be referred to in the construction section- very often when buying timber it will be referred to in inch and feet (in addition to metric) on a yard docket, eg 44x 22mm x 2.4m PAO batten may be referred to as 2x 1" x 8'. In a similar way most sheet wood materials are sold in 8' x 4' (2.44m x 1.22m). The Irish imperial plumbing fittings are quite a unique thing- Irish 1/2" compression fitting will use a 14.7mm olive whereas the european 15mm fitting will use a 15mm olive!

Again, all convention rather than regulation.

I'm surprised the plumbing scenario's even allowed as it's technically speaking a barrier to free movement of goods around the EU.

Fox News host Anna Kooiman interviewed former FAA spokesperson Scott Brenner about the search for the missing AirAsia flight, asking whether foreign pilots were at a disadvantage since they were trained using the metric system.
    'Even when we think about temperature, it's Fahrenheit or Celsius,' Kooiman said. 'It's kilometers or miles. You know, everything about their training could be similar, but different.'
    Kooiman continued to ask if the difference in measurements were to blame, and if that makes international travel riskier."'It's not just a difference in the way that we measure things? Is it not as safe in that part of the world? Because our viewers may be thinking, International travel, is it safe? Is it not safe?"

Yes she is blonde.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2889354/Fox-News-host-denounced-speculating-AsiaAir-flight-missing-foreign-pilots-use-metric-system.html

Yes she is blonde

A blonde news reader on Fox :eek:
    http://i.imgur.com/l75UNkV.jpg

Advertisement