Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICS or higher ROM for HTC Desire S

Options
  • 31-07-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have just put the official CyanogenMod 7 on a HTC Desire S but I would like to put 9 or 10 on it but not sure if it would work. Cyanogenmod says it is not supported on the desire s. Are the any other roms based on ICS or higher that will work?

Thanks

Comments

Have a look here, there are plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Have a look here, there are plenty.

Cheers,
    Any you would recommend? I want the device to be as stable as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Tango One

Cheers,
    Any you would recommend? I want the device to be as stable as possible.

I use blindndumbs cm10.1 rom and find it great

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Hi,
    I have just put the official CyanogenMod 7 on a HTC Desire S but I would like to put 9 or 10 on it but not sure if it would work. Cyanogenmod says it is not supported on the desire s. Are the any other roms based on ICS or higher that will work?

Thanks

Had been using Fallout Evolution on my old Desire S found it very stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I use CM10.1. Runs perfectly, no issues for me.

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I use CM10.1. Runs perfectly, no issues for me.

Thats the one I have on at the moment now. It is a little buggy, google voice search crashes constantly and apollo crashes as well sometimes.

Anyone use PACMan rom?

Thats the one I have on at the moment now. It is a little buggy, google voice search crashes constantly and apollo crashes as well sometimes.
    Google Now works perfectly for me.

I haven't used Apollo since we got Google Play Music. I've actually uninstalled Apollo.

No bugs at all for me on the 19.07 nightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

HI Kavrocks,

I was looking to change ROM myself and was thinking of going to the one you're on

You mention that you're not having any problems, are you using the camera and google maps?

Is it worth updating the nightlies as the ROMs get updated? If you're on 19th of July and it works will you bother updating, are the nightlies hit and miss?

hooplah wrote: »
    HI Kavrocks,

I was looking to change ROM myself and was thinking of going to the one you're on

You mention that you're not having any problems, are you using the camera and google maps?

Is it worth updating the nightlies as the ROMs get updated? If you're on 19th of July and it works will you bother updating, are the nightlies hit and miss?
    Yeah camera works fine for me, not a big user of it though.

GPS has been hit and miss lately, sometimes it gets a satellite instantly, sometimes it won't. Only use it to track my cycles and about 1 in every 10 won't have data. That's more down to the age and condition of my phone though.

It could be worth updating it could not, all depends on what you are willing to put up with and whether you are willing to go back to a backup.

• Advertisement

Anyone use PACMan rom?
    Used pacman for awhile but found cm10.1 to be the best for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

So , there I am for the last week looking at putting a rom on my HTC Desire S as it had gone very slow and due to financial embarrassment not being able to upgrade , well that and the fact that I don't want a bigger screen . I have done a bit with my Nexus 7 but thats easy as due to it's popularity there are loads of simple to use tools and tutorials but I am really struggling to understand all the talk on the XDA HTC Desire S forums and I am fairly confident that it is down to me getting old ( next up I suppose is asking the son to set the time on the video player ... would need to go to a car boot sale to get me one of those first ) .

Under normal circumstances , when I am doing anything technical I would drop in here and throw up and thread and always receive help but I didn't think there was any point with this phone as I thought it was , like me , too old but as a last ditch attempt to get some clarity I did a search here and low and behold what do I find ... this thread ...woooooohooooo .

I have gotten as far as putting the EXT4 recovery on but then just couldn't make up my mind as to which rom to go with although had been leaning towards the CM10.1 listed above . Now that I have found ye discussing it here I am feeling a little more comfortable about going ahead with it .

If you're s off it makes flashing the roms easier although getting s off is a bit tricky. Of all the rom blindndumbs cm10.1 has been the most stable for me. You may also need to update your radio and hboot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I encountered two problem when I did this the other night . I presume if you are used to this it is obvious but in all the reading I did I didn't see it anywhere . After you have installed the rom you have to flash the boot.img , it was only in the comments section of one of the tutorials that i saw this . I tried the CM10.1 and after a day of using it I decided that it wasn't any faster then the original HTC Rom that i had been using so I used the recovery to go back ....... second problem , no where did I read that you had to flash the boot.img after installing the recovery , after about 2 hours I figured it out for myself but had to take the micro sd card out of the phone and connect it to the pc and transfer the boot.img over so that I could flash it .

jonski wrote: »
    I encountered two problem when I did this the other night . I presume if you are used to this it is obvious but in all the reading I did I didn't see it anywhere .

This is certainly a pain. I'd say a lot of people who flash roms do it regularily. The first time I did I came accross a number of stages that weren't at all obvious to me i.e. creating nandroid backups, backing things up with Titanium, etc etc

In fairness on the XDA thread BlindnDumb does say
    - Flash ROM (If HTC Dev Unclocked , Flash boot.img from fastboot)

but I think its easily missed, I didn't notice it myself at first.

You can flash the boot.img via your pc which might be a little easier. I found good directions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1752270

jonski wrote: »
    I encountered two problem when I did this the other night . I presume if you are used to this it is obvious but in all the reading I did I didn't see it anywhere . After you have installed the rom you have to flash the boot.img , it was only in the comments section of one of the tutorials that i saw this . I tried the CM10.1 and after a day of using it I decided that it wasn't any faster then the original HTC Rom that i had been using so I used the recovery to go back ....... second problem , no where did I read that you had to flash the boot.img after installing the recovery , after about 2 hours I figured it out for myself but had to take the micro sd card out of the phone and connect it to the pc and transfer the boot.img over so that I could flash it .
    You've learned more by getting stuff wrong than if it had worked first time without any trouble.

I don't use CM10.1 because its faster than what was previously on my phone. Using the latest version of Android (on the Desire S) is not about having your phone run faster.

I have to say I'm finding the Blindndumb rom to be faster than the old stock rom. This could also be at least partially down to the fact that I cleaned out a few unused apps when switching over.

My only issue is that the wifi signal seems to be lower which is a pain. I've seen reference to this and people installing thrid party apps to improve things. Anyone reccomend something?

Advertisement