Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Charging

Options
  • 01-10-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hello folks!I was just wondering has anyone issues with the S3 not charging? I have mine about 2 and a half months now, and on Saturday night I noticed that when the battery was low, there was an exclamation mark over the battery, with the battery showing no bit of green at all... I don't recall if ever had this before... Battery then died. When I plugged it in to charge it (using the original charger that came with it), the battery just failed to charge. Charging light doesn't come on or anything. Tried charging with a few other chargers and still no luck. Also tried charging using the USB connection to my laptop, and still no luck. I tried taking the battery out for an hour and then trying again. and the same story yet again. I don't know if this is an issue with the battery, or with the micro-usb connection point. Has anyone any suggestions? Oh, and I didn't insure the phone (like a chump!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Can you get a connection to the pc using a micro usb cable? As in, does the pc pick up the phone or is the usb port totally gone?

Don't worry about not having insurance, it'll be under warranty anyway, unless you dropped it or got it wet or something

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Nah, PC doesn't detect the phone at all. But I don't think it used to unless there was a bit of battery life in the phone (not sure, but I think that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Sounds like its the USB connector has been damaged/gone faulty. Mine took a big knock when my wife tripped over the charging lead and it actually bent the charger head 45 degrees but the phone is fine so i can't imagine you'd have damaged it without noticing!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Bizarrely, I saw on another forum just to leave the battery out for a few hours and then try again, and it's working fine now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jessiex

I've read a few posts around the internet about peoples galaxy s3s just not charging or dying and not turning back on, even after charging. This happened me last week. It wouldn't reboot either. I brought it back to the shop and they were unsuccessful there too. They sent it away to be fixed and are now saying that there is damage to the system connector (they said this is where the charger goes in). They are saying its my fault and I have to pay to have it repaired. I know I haven't done anything that would have damaged this. Wish I had of seen this earlier and tried leaving the battery out for a couple of hours but too late now. Anyone any ideas about what I should do? I think someone somewhere is just trying to get a bit of money from me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Before you send it off, give the micro usb a quick going over, check for bent connectors, use a tooth pick to pry them back if you see some out of place. If nothing looks out of place , use a small bristled brush (like what you get with a beard trimmer) and just give the port a very good cleaning, worked perfect on any Samsung thats had this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 d3481553

My girlfriend broke the screen on her SGS3 but it was working fine with the cracked screen for a couple of months when it suddenly stopped working, dead, not charging .etc.

What I'm looking to find out is, if I get the screen fixed, can it then be sent off the Samsung to be fixed or will they see the screens been replace and say the warranty is therefore void?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Replacing the screen will not void warranty.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Replacing the screen will not void warranty.

Thanks for the response Coldfire. I posted in another thread and someone said that Samsung are replacing the boards no questions asked, which is encouraging so I think I might contact Samsung and see if they'll fix it even though the screen is broken and if not I'll have the screen fixed and then send off to be fixed.

Thanks again.

d.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Going to try this for a while today and will report back. The phone will charge by USB only. When I plug it into the wall socket it will go down in power for a while before stabalising and then charging really slow. Last night I plugged it in at 31% and woke up 7 hours later to the phone at 58%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 hitchhiker42

I had a bad outlet at my house. The connections were poor and the charger only worked if you pushed on the plug. Not good. Moving to a different outlet solved the problem.

Charging your phone by USB may or may not work. Power requirements are tricky with the USB outlet because the voltage is quite low. I have a Mac at home. If I plug things directly into the Mac, the USB has enough power to charge them. If I plug things into my USB hub, sometimes they don't have enough power. It's as if the USB hub loses half a volt, and that's just enough to make my iPod and/or phone fail to charge.

Just as an update, my girlfriend brought her phone to fone menders in Sandyford with the phone dead and the screen broken and they fixed the screen for 160 quid and then fixed the Sudden Death issue free under warranty.

The girlfriends pretty happy with that. She was worried they wouldn't touch it under warranty given that the screen was broke, but she's delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Let my 8th month old GS3 completely run out of charge over the weekend, same problem not a kick with numerous chargers or usb cable. Took it back to the phone shop where i bought it this morning they had no joy either so are sending it away to get checked. I'm pretty sure its the charging port is the issue, but I have the phone rooted and Cyanogen Mod installed so I'm pretty sure I going to get caught out on the warranty. I have phone insurance too, but presume that i wont be covered by that either. :(
    Has anyone else got this charging port repaired in an independent repair shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fgt

Did you find a solution to this problem? My phone has exactly the same issue & its driving me cracked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

same thing is happening to me at the minute...wont charge at a wall socket but works fine on the laptop usb....WEIRD

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

It's the charging port needs to be replaced same happened to mine got it fixed for 50 in a phone meanders in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

will samsung not do it under warranty?
    Since its charging fine from the laptop...the port seems fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mario1234

Hi, i have a faulty micro usb port on my tablet and after few day my tablet fell and broke the screen. I went back to the shop and explain that i accept the fault of the crack of the screen but i want them to repair my micro usb port, the manager they can't fix my micro usb port because the screen have been cracked, so it consider a void warranty on my tablet. The reason they can't repair because is to expensive to repair.
    My question is can the shop repair the micro usb port and do i have i have the rights to ask the shop for repair?

Thank you

Advertisement