Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XPS 1730

• 05-11-2008 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Would like to get people's opinion on the XPS m1730 specifically with regard to the nVidia graphics chips. Was thinking of getting one but have heard stories about the graphics processor burning itself out due to overheating.

How much should I pay for a reasonable model? Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

Just fyi, I have just sent an email to DELL tech support asking to send my laptop (xps m1330 with 8400gs) in for warrenty due to video failure.

heres some nice pictures. enjoy :D

Laptopfreezescreen-1.jpg

Laptopfreezescreen2.jpg

Errorscreen.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

Hi Silenceisbliss,

Just what I feared. I've been told that some of the XPS's have problems with the hardware overheating.

I've been told that chipsets on the newer models , i.e the 1730 are reasonably reliable and that it's just the 8400 and 8600 that has major reliability issues and that the 8800 and above are ok but I don't know if I wan't to take the chance. Any other brands out there that would do the same job for a similar price?

Thanks for the pics, hope you get it sorted soon as Dell are not renowned for their customer service.

well,

what Ive learned from this is:

if you just use your laptop for office work, videos, movies, internet etc.

A stand alone graphics card is actually a BAD thing. increased tempertures ARE NORMAL, therefore, other componant reliability goes doen. battery life goes down.

If you use it for gaming or photoshop or whatever, then yes, by all means you will need a grfy card.

but if you dont, a built in intel graphics unit is more reliable.

But maybe you do need graphics, like me.

so, I will look at a laptop with a very new reliable nvidia and read multiple review on it. Or I will look at a laptop with an ATI card.

its not easy now to be honest. nVidia aint cool anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Something to note, is that, due to ot's design the m1330 is more suseptable to nvidia chip failure. I haven't heard any 1730 failures on here, although it's always a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The 8800M GTX in the M1730 isn't affected by the Nvidia issues.

The quality problems are believed to only affect certain chips using the G84 and G86 core; the 8800M uses the G92 core, no issues have been reported with this.

The 8700M uses the G84 core, but I havent heard of any issues with that. Its a weak card though, so I wouldn't get it regardless of any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

If you cycle any chip repeatedly to over 90-100c regularly.... it's going to fail. It's a design flaw in the heatsink of the 1330, exacerbating a problem in the solder between chip and substrate on the Nvidia G84/86.

People have replaced the heatsinks on 1330's with homemade copper ones, and noticed a good jump in reliability. IIRC, 1530's and 1730's are large enough that Dell used metal sinks on them originally. I know my 1530 rarely gets much above 70... and is sitting at 64 right now.

Dartz wrote: »
    If you cycle any chip repeatedly to over 90-100c regularly.... it's going to fail. It's a design flaw in the heatsink of the 1330, exacerbating a problem in the solder between chip and substrate on the Nvidia G84/86.

People have replaced the heatsinks on 1330's with homemade copper ones, and noticed a good jump in reliability. IIRC, 1530's and 1730's are large enough that Dell used metal sinks on them originally. I know my 1530 rarely gets much above 70... and is sitting at 64 right now.

I know this. i was actually the first to post about this here pointing out the copper mod.

alas. warrenty goes OUT THE WINDOW the second you do this. gladly, i didnt do this myself, otherwise id ne rightly fücked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

Thanks for the advice guy's.

Just out of curiosity how do people rate the 1530. I have enough to get the 17 and have my eye on a nice one on e-bay but do I really need a 17" screen and other than that is there much difference in power between the two? Can you get a 1530 without the Nv G84/86?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I have a vostro 1310 with the 8400m gs GPU and it had overheating issues too.

I wouldnt really recommend them to a friend but i modded the cooling system on mine with a copper heatsink and undervolted the Cpu and now im getting quite good temps so im happy and my laptop is working very well but if you not into that its not really for you.

As for preformance it plays cod4 very well without any hangups at all its a ver capable laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I've had no problem with the 1530 for the last six months, though it's due for replacement by a 16*, or so the rumour goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Had the same thing go on my 1330 a week ago. Rang Dell tech support, got through after about 5 minutes on hold. Problem diagnosed quickly enough, and they arranged for an engineer to call to my place of work to replace the motherboard 2 days later. Also, the customer service agent informed me that due to the fact that this nvidia videocard had failed on a good few 1330s, and the supplier had agreed it was faulty, dell were giving an extra one years warranty on the videocard. So Dell ain't all that bad!

Advertisement