Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advent 4213

• 01-11-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi, I've been looking at this laptop recently and I'm thinking of getting it. Does anybody know anything about it and whether it's good value, or if there are any cons in relation to it?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1682872/art/advent/4213.html

Is there a better laptop I can get in that price range (up to €500)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The main reason this is more expensize than the 4311(€100 more)Is because of the built in 3G modem,do you really need it?What are you planning on using the laptop for as another difference is 160gb hard disk and the 4211 has a 80gb....If you just want it for browsing at home than th 4211 is better,cheaper and you're not paying extra for things not needed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

I had a look at the 4211 as well! But the reason I think I prefer the 4213 is the 3G modem - I might use that I'm not sure yet, I have one of the 3G cards for work and it's fairly nifty. I agree the extra hard drive is un-needed. I like the fact that the battery is far better though than the 4211 and that for me is a big pro! Is there anything that the 4211 does thats better than the 4213 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

i got the 4213 from pixmania.. it's a great little toy/netbook.. the 3g gets me connected everywhere... it's great for long trips in the car.. surfing when I can't sleep... I got a small type man bag from burtons to carry it around.. I upgraded the ram in it to 2gig.. I'm thinking of removing the Advent badge on the lid.. to make it look better..

I am thinkin of putting vista on it.. as I've read it runs quite well on it even with full aero graphics and everything...

for the price you can't go far wrong.. as if you wanted to add internal 3g to the 4211 it would cost over 160 euro and has double the hard drive space.. also... if you upgrade the ram in the 4211 it will void the warrenty... with the 4213 it dosen't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Upgrading the RAM in the advent 4211 doesn't void the ram in europe afaik. There are no warrenty stickers that you break so there's no way for them to know either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

my bad.. i think i read somewhere that there was a void if removed sticker in the 4211's...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If the extra hard drive space is no good to you then you may want to go with the 4212 (they really need to come up with a more exciting naming convention). I think it's pretty similar to the 4213 but with a smaller hard drive. Might be worth looking at though.

If the extra hard drive space is no good to you then you may want to go with the 4212 (they really need to come up with a more exciting naming convention). I think it's pretty similar to the 4213 but with a smaller hard drive. Might be worth looking at though.

Think it has an 8.9 inch screen though ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Think it has an 8.9 inch screen though ?
    Yeah it does. Forgot about that.

Yeah it does. Forgot about that.

Sorry to add to my earlier post about the 4211 iv read that you can get up to 224mb of video ram*

And this is quiet appealing as its as good as my laptop therefore(no i'm not getting hopeful)It should be able to run the same apps i run for school on my laptop on that....

I'd happily get the 4211 but their are no forums set up for it and i'd only get it if i read on a forum that someone got the same performance as the 4213(which sounds good to me)

*With bios,ram upgrade etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Here's a forum for the 4211.
    http://forums.msiwind.net/
    Msi wind = advent 4211
    My 4211 is running the msi bios with 224mb video ram and overclocking to just under 2ghz.
    Sweet!

• Advertisement

Edit:Sorry i though i was commenting on my own thread,I was talking about the 4212 not the 4211! :p

The 4212 might be good for the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Hey guys! Cheers for your help! Think I might upgrade the ram to 2GB as one of you mentioned!

Hey guys! Cheers for your help! Think I might upgrade the ram to 2GB as one of you mentioned!

Let us know how all goes!

Advertisement