Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

White van man, tut tut

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

My record is four vehicles. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Is that not standard overtaking in Ireland?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Impressive use of the indicators indeed. :rolleyes:. The timing and precision involved....a true professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

silly driver....

although I remember some idiot in a merc (with his family in the car) overtook 4 cars and a campervan in one go on the way from galway - dublin one evening. I really couldn't believe someone would be that stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I'm sorry but I can't see the problem in overtaking several vehicles in one manouvre assumuming it is safe to do so and in appropriate places. I have done two advanced driving courses, one for cars and one for motorcycles and it was encouraged. Why would you need to pull in behind the vehicle you are overtaking if its safe to overtake the next vehicle. It only causes a loss of vision and a loss of momentum. The only criteria is that you should not cause any other driver to alter their speed or direction. White van man obviously failed in this regard by bullying motorists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I agree, I don't see the problem overtaking a few cars when the conditions allow for it, but in that video all the cars were braking and it didn't look the safest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

cormie wrote: »
    I agree, I don't see the problem overtaking a few cars when the conditions allow for it, but in that video all the cars were braking and it didn't look the safest.

Agreed. FRom the video it didn't look safe at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Was driving from Galway to Limerick to meet a girl and came across a line a cars after Ennis. Was in hurry ( bit of how's your father waiting in Limerick ). It was November and then the road branched out to a climbing lane, running behind time and proceeded to overtake all the cars and what was the top but a hearse.
    So thats why they where flashing their lights at me. Will never forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

buzzard wrote: »
    Was driving from Galway to Limerick to meet a gril and came across a line a cars after Ennis. Was in hurry ( bit of how's your father waiting in Limerick ). It was November and then the road branched out to a climbing lane, running behind time and proceeded to overtake all the cars and what was the top but a hearse.

Piety is all well and good ...but I never quite saw the justification or reason why a funeral convoy should have a right or cause to hold up all traffic on a main road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

peasant wrote: »
    Piety is all well and good ...but I never quite saw the justification or reason why a funeral convoy should have a right or cause to hold up all traffic on a main road.

It was 1994 and Ireland was still in the grips of the church

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »

When it is your Mammie in the box please recall that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

He won't be allowed drive in Ireland now with these new drive ban rules coming in, maybe its a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Moonbaby wrote: »
    When it is your Mammie in the box please recall that post.

He'll hardly be overtaking that hearse, will he?

I agree with peasant. I'm sorry for your troubles, but I don't particularly want to be a part of your cortege.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

veetwin wrote: »
    I can't see the problem in overtaking several vehicles in one manouvre assumuming it is safe to do so and in appropriate places.

I can't see the problem either in those circumstances. Mind, the only times I have overtaken more than just a couple of cars was on very long, very straight stretches of the typical very wide national roads with very wide hard shoulders. The hard shoulder in the opposite direction being the most important factor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭10-10-20

"Wherever there's a traffic-jam, there's always a Mercedes Sprinter overtaking..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

blastman wrote: »
    He'll hardly be overtaking that hearse, will he?

I agree with peasant. I'm sorry for your troubles, but I don't particularly want to be a part of your cortege.

Obviously he meant people overtaking the funeral that your part of. :rolleyes:

In the situation that buzzard posted though, sounds like a reasonable thing to do. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

buzzard wrote: »
    Was driving from Galway to Limerick to meet a girl and came across a line a cars after Ennis. Was in hurry ( bit of how's your father waiting in Limerick ). It was November and then the road branched out to a climbing lane, running behind time and proceeded to overtake all the cars and what was the top but a hearse.

Holy sh1t - Done the exact same my self between tuam and miltown in Galway. Very clear, wide long stretch of road into miltown, took over 15 cars at one stage. Had half the county goin ape sh1t, couldn't for the life of me figure what their problem was. Then it became clear, a sahgging hearse at the top!!!

And to make matters worse, there was a 100+ person strong guard of honour lining the streets to the town. Caught like a chicken:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Tails142

unkel wrote: »
    I can't see the problem either in those circumstances. Mind, the only times I have overtaken more than just a couple of cars was on very long, very straight stretches of the typical very wide national roads with very wide hard shoulders. The hard shoulder in the opposite direction being the most important factor

I think the difference is that if its 4 or 5 cars in a row, with completely open road ahead then there's no problem. But in this case it appeared to be morning traffic so was pretty reckless as everyone would probably be stuck together again at the next town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

BostonB wrote: »
    Obviously he meant people overtaking the funeral that your part of. :rolleyes:
    Yes, I know what he/she meant, I'll include smilies in future :rolleyes: :D I still wouldn't expect people who aren't part of the funeral to sit behind it when they have an opportunity to pass, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What you don't want with a funeral is to run out of momentum / road and have to slot in between the hearse and the limo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Victor wrote: »
    What you don't want with a funeral is to run out of momentum / road and have to slot in between the hearse and the limo.

belive it or not this happened when burrying my grand mother the other week, going over the tara street bridge heading northbound and a w******** in a carravele pulled inbetween the herse and limos aswell as the gardi convoy so yeah.... getting nicked woulda been his last worrys....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Dabko wrote: »
    Holy sh1t - Done the exact same my self between tuam and miltown in Galway. Very clear, wide long stretch of road into miltown, took over 15 cars at one stage. Had half the county goin ape sh1t, couldn't for the life of me figure what their problem was. Then it became clear, a sahgging hearse at the top!!!

And to make matters worse, there was a 100+ person strong guard of honour lining the streets to the town. Caught like a chicken:o:o:o

I was pull ing my boat to the lake last week when I came around the corner and seen a shiny merc stopped in the middle of the road facing me with the drivers door open and somebody leaning in chatting to the driver. I went mad with my usual road rage profanities(all windows down) as I jammed on the brakes and sat on the horn. As I passed I looked in the car window and seen the parish priest waving timidly back from the drivers seat, times like that I'm glad I'm from the other side of the house(GF was mortified though:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Quite - I'm an IAM guy too, and multi-vehicle overtake is entirely acceptable.

What's wrong with this case, is his lake of space, and the overtaking on the bend was a no-no. Mind you, his sight line is much higher than those in the cars........

I don't agree that it was the 'worst ever', though - all of the cars in the traffic were driving too close for the speeds involved - nobody was using the 2-second rule.

So. Did they pull all them, too ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Try driving on the N2 bypass of Carrickmacross from Castleblayney to the M1. You get to see this type of driving all the time. Even better, you get to participate and be one of the drivers who has to brake suddenly to stop fools like that having an accident.

I remember one time seeing a guy passing a car whilst going around a blind corner and the road went into steep dip as well. Easily the stupidest thing I have ever seen, far worse than that video.

I can kind of understand why overtaking a few cars on a big wide open straight road might be ok. However side roads are always a concern. If someone pulls out then you are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

In in right circumstances I'd say overtaking multiple vehicles in one maneuvure is a lot safer than pulling in and out of traffic and having to rebuild momentum each time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

galwaytt wrote: »
    Did they pull all them, too ?
    I don't know, but it was a targetted exercise after complaints (I presume about white van man).
    galwaytt wrote: »
    I don't agree that it was the 'worst ever', though - all of the cars in the traffic were driving too close for the speeds involved - nobody was using the 2-second rule.
    Which made his behaviour all the worse.
    Slig wrote: »
    I was pull ing my boat to the lake last week when I came around the corner ..... I jammed on the brakes and sat on the horn.
    If you needed to jam on, you were going to fast, especially with a trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

veetwin wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I can't see the problem in overtaking several vehicles in one manouvre assumuming it is safe to do so and in appropriate places. I have done two advanced driving courses, one for cars and one for motorcycles and it was encouraged. Why would you need to pull in behind the vehicle you are overtaking if its safe to overtake the next vehicle. It only causes a loss of vision and a loss of momentum. The only criteria is that you should not cause any other driver to alter their speed or direction. White van man obviously failed in this regard by bullying motorists

I agree totally.
    Overtaking anything up to 10 cars at once is entirely possible without causing other drivers to change their speed or direction.
    The conditions that allow this are:
    Straight stretch of road (preferably wide).
    Good road conditions.
    Convoy of cars travelling slowly and unwilling to overtake.
    Broken white lines.
    No oncoming traffic.
    No junctions/right turns.
    Adequate gaps between between cars at points along the convoy (to accomodate the unexpected).

An extensive multiple overtake is invariably no more than an extension of a smaller initial overtake of 1-2 cars (if conditions allow).

"Leapfrogging" individual cars one at a time can be more dangerous and stressful tbh with all that starting and stopping.

This guy driving in the video looked reckless though- tailgating/cutting others off and overtaking on a bend.

Advertisement