Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Vetting.

• 18-09-2014 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭

Is there a system where by the parent of a child attending a pretty school can ask to see the vetting report of a staff member or child care student on placement there.

There is a trainee due to start in my child's pre school with a history of violence and assault. The preschool have refused to confirm whether or not she has been vetted. They also say that her placement is out of their hands

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

No, you have no right to see the report. You are not a designated person.
    She must have been Garda vetted, all students are before going on placement.
    Contact Tulsa if you have concerns the student was not vetted, bear in mind only convictions and arrests show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Thanks , was pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed see it.

My main concern is that they have refused to confirm she was vetted.

Just from my own experience I find it had to see how she could be vetted so soon since she only got a place on the childcare course a week ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Some courses pre vet candidates and they are only offered a place subject to their vetting.

If they have convictions for assault and violence then they will not pass it but even if they have a history if there are no convictions they may still get it.

Of course they have a say in who does placements in their school,I would voice your concerns and pull your child from the creche if you have further concerns.

Remember they can not act on hearsay .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Just an update on this, found out that the student is only going to be working one day a week and her Garda vetting is not back. Creche have said she can do her placement while she is waiting.

Anyway took my kids out for the day she will be working. I am also wondering whether or not I should report what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

All staff, students and volunteers in a pre school setting MUST have Garda vetting. This is a breach by the crèche and the college. I would report.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am not sure that it is, once she is not left unsupervised or alone with kids it is normally ok. Vetting can take months.

If you are unhappy speak to the creche manager. You are the customer you pay for the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I am not sure that it is, once she is not left unsupervised or alone with kids it is normally ok. Vetting can take months.

Doesn't matter. The rule is, no vetting, no work. I know it can take ages. It's a crap system, but it's the only one we have. My last vetting took almost nine months to come through. My previous, for a different centre was only two months old when I applied. I still had to wait, even though I held several vetting letters. I currently hold five. All valid. All for different centres. If I apply for a position where I need a new one, none of those matter.

You'd swear the vetting system was designed by an Irishman! :D

Oh, for the op's interest. The vetting will disclose past convictions. It's up to the organisation to decide if those convictions are relevant or not. A conviction showing up will not necessarily bar an individual from work. They certainly shouldn't be on placement before it's through though. I'd be kicking up a bit of a stink. Do other parents know? I wouldn't of course tell them about what you described, beyond telling them that you're aware there is somebody working who's vetting hasn't come through yet.

ugh 9 months:(
    luckily I have never waited that long for myself or staff to be vetted.
    I have lost track of the amount that I hold at this stage:(

The 2012 act is here - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/act/pub/0047/index.html

I like this article too - http://www.seomraranga.com/2013/03/garda-vetting/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Moonbeam wrote: »

I think you are correct in this. As far as I know if a parent/visitor is brought into a primary school class they don't have to be garda vetted as long as the teacher is always in the classroom. It came up at a board of management meeting before. If they are to have unsupervised access they must have the vetting done.
    I would imagine its the same elsewhere.

• Advertisement

They have cracked down majorly in the ECCE area but I have been out of touch for a while and only getting back in to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭GeneralSherman

The Garda Vetting Unit are now processing applications in about 3 weeks once there is no problem with the submitted form. It is the job of the Garda Vetting unit to tell organisation (eg creche) who applied on behalf of the applicant about any convictions that exist for that individual. Based on this info the organisation decides to employ that person or not. Each organisation sets there rules. You do not have the right to see the returned garda vetting for that individual (it is the property of the creche). You should ask the creche to see their written garda vetting procedures.

As an authorised signatory for a vetting organisation who has received training in the Garda vetting Unit I can state that a person who works with children/vulnerable adults (accompanied by others or not) must be garda vetting. That board of management is incorrect in stating that. (Imagine the worst case scenario.... 2 or more predators working together). People who help out at kids activities on occasion (approx 3 times a year) do not have to be vetted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As an authorised signatory for a vetting organisation who has received training in the Garda vetting Unit I can state that a person who works with children/vulnerable adults (accompanied by others or not) must be garda vetting. That board of management is incorrect in stating that. (Imagine the worst case scenario.... 2 or more predators working together). People who help out at kids activities on occasion (approx 3 times a year) do not have to be vetted.

I'm confused by the above. 2 or more predators working together? The point in which I was talking about is when a Teacher invites a parent/grandparent etc into a classroom eg. Explaining how school was different in olden days. In this situation I am of the opinion that the visitor does not have to be vetted as the teacher is and is always in the room.
    And your last point, helping out with a kids activity, would a visitor to a classroom for an activity not be the same as that?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Yeah sorry about that ShamoBuc. I was very unclear in what I was trying to say.

When a person is helping out on a once off basis such as the situation you are talking about ie Grandparents day then they do not have to be garda vetted.
    If a person is working/volunteering regularly with children/vulnerable adults eg a student on work experience they must be garda vetted even if they will be supervised at all times.

Advertisement