Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Nemesis

Options
  • 31-12-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Based in Dublin and Boyle, this has been on a website for unpublished authors called authonomy and I have now completed and published it on amazon. It's for readers who have a kindle or a platform that supports a kindle app.
    It's under 5 Euro so here is the link and the most recent review from authonomy.

The plotline is solid, without a doubt. It is full of deception, anger, abandonment, love, and cruelty rolled into grit and action. It ends as perfectly as it begins, with tension that mounts until it explodes in the last few chapters. This is not what makes the novel such a smashing success. It's Jack Clancy. Jack is the anti-hero that the reader is dying to see succeed and find some level of peace. The depth of his character is extraordinary. He's the teenager that kicked out his father, lied to his unappreciative mother to protect her, finds himself in all the wrong kinds of trouble only to find himself isolated. He grows into a young man that has such realistic vulnerability, it's impossible not to sympathize with him, despite his many flaws. In his own words he becomes "a vessel of flesh that had been conditioned into thriving off pain." Heartbreaking. He shields himself with crude, almost intimidating sarcasm that is hilarious and nasty all at once. Again, it is not the painting of the character that makes it a success, but the consistency and realism of him that follows throughout. He has many swings and shifts, from drug abuser to loving father, and yet he is always Jack. There is no doubt that the man that shows his unforced comfort with Sarah during the raw and beautiful sex scene is the same man that kills a handful of people. His reaction, particularly to his dad's murder, are real, aggressive, detached, confused. Jack Clancy pulls you in and never lets you go.
    The end of Paddy never feels rushed, every word counts, leaving us with a hell of a cliffhanger that has my tapping my foot for more. It wraps up clean, but you still feel a little dirty on the inside after reading it.
    You are the writer to aspire to, the one who writes with the brass balls we all wish we had. Your work is honest, emotional, raw, gritty and totally your own. I would wish you luck, but you don't need it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

OP, I haven't read your story, though I really like the title. However, your blurb is very generic. It reminds me a bit of the "bad pitch" example from Writers Digest (read it here).

I'd get rid of the generic action hero stuff and go for more specifics. Maybe try toning it down a bit, too. Describing your own book "[ending] as perfectly as it begins" comes across as very egotistical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 philcone

Antilles wrote: »
    OP, I haven't read your story, though I really like the title. However, your blurb is very generic. It reminds me a bit of the "bad pitch" example from Writers Digest (read it here).

I'd get rid of the generic action hero stuff and go for more specifics. Maybe try toning it down a bit, too. Describing your own book "[ending] as perfectly as it begins" comes across as very egotistical.

Hi Antillies,
    The blurb was a critique on authonomy, they aren't my words. If you see the description on Amazon, it reads as follows...

This is the story about one man, and one very long day in the life. The man is Jack Clancy: Friend, lover, poet, wit, raconteur, autodidact, philosopher, and Government assassin. Jack is going through the motions, as much as any assassin can, living life on the edge and revelling in the decadence of Dublin’s nightlife, Jack’s life is about to get really interesting…

After a little recreational violence, Jack runs into his boss. He is asked to go to his home town in Boyle, in the west of Ireland, and intercept a consignment of drugs. Whilst there, his job is to kill the men who are distributing the drugs. That may be a simple enough task for an assassin, but going home comes with its own problems, and Jack is in for one very long day.

The men importing the drugs are heavily involved in organised crime in the area, and Jack’s incentive just went nuclear. Throw in an unfinished love story, a child he never knew existed, a duplicitous friend and a psychotic mother into the mix, and something is bound to blow. Jack only hopes it’s not him.

The one-liners in this story will draw you in, and make you smile wryly, while the richly overlaid intelligence and humour will keep you reading. There is a poignant melancholy to the character, which will keep more romantic-minded readers hooked, and the action is delivered in a high-octane thrill-a-minute style, which will satisfy even the lustiest appetites for action.

There’s a lyrical charm to the scenic descriptions of Ireland’s lush green countryside, rolling hills and bleak small towns. The action, perfectly described drama, razor sharp humour, knowing winks to works such as Hamlet and Ulysses, add up to a sense that this story is an epic of our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Oh I see - sorry, I didn't realise! Fair play and congrats on the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 philcone

No worries. Hope you can download it to see for yourself what it's like. The reviews on authonomy have been pretty amazing and I just want it to be out there now

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Phil, I've removed the link as it's to a paid item and thus is advertising which we can't allow.
    It should be easy to find for anyone interested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement