Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Laptop problems after Vista update and format :(

• 02-11-2008 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭

hey guys and gals,

Hoping somebody here can help...

Recently I re-installed vista over itself (to wipe my HD), this is the second time it has been installed, the first been the time DELL installed it all 9 months ago.

Originally I had my main c: drive and it also had a partitioned 10GB memory set aside also. Since my "format" of my laptop i noticed that when I connected to the internet and updated vista with the necesary (all 72) files, whenever I restart my laptop its gets to the screen with the green bar travelling from left to right, goes up about half way then crashes, a blue screen flicks up for a sec and then the laptop starts again, this time asking if I want safe mode etc...

The only way to get my laptop going is to force shut it down by holding the power button and then it boots ok ONCE I turn it off not restart.

My laptop is a dell vostro 1500

Can anybody understand this and why? Has it happened to you? please let me know

All the best,
    Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

When you said you did a reformat.
    You actually did format and reinstall, as opposed to reinstalling Vista over the existing one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your Dell should have come with a recovery partition, and you would have received some instruction from Dell on how to do a Factory Restore using that Partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

When you said you did a reformat.
    You actually did format and reinstall, as opposed to reinstalling Vista over the existing one?

I did format it then re-installed vista over it again....
    Overheal wrote: »
    Your Dell should have come with a recovery partition, and you would have received some instruction from Dell on how to do a Factory Restore using that Partition.

I think that the recovery partition was formatted also, obviously that's not good i take it?

As always, thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

So what if you load it with Vista and dont install all of the updates?
    Is it one particular update that is causing the problem?

How did you reload Vista if you formatted the Recovery Partition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I had a similar problem after reinstalling vista I'd get about a week installing updates and then some update would just fcuk up the system and I'd get a similar problem to the OP green bar,no shut down and would have to force a shutdown which damaged the system files that had to be repaired.. After this happening 3 times I just reinstalled everything I had before I cleaned the hard drive and turned off automatic updates and it seems to be working fine now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

just reinstall vista, but first format the drive completly, delete both partitions and create one single partition. Then install vista and install the updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

Namesco wrote: »
    I had a similar problem after reinstalling vista I'd get about a week installing updates and then some update would just fcuk up the system and I'd get a similar problem to the OP green bar,no shut down and would have to force a shutdown which damaged the system files that had to be repaired.. After this happening 3 times I just reinstalled everything I had before I cleaned the hard drive and turned off automatic updates and it seems to be working fine now.

Yeah I have been thinking this is my best option! :)

I was kinda unsure about turning updates off but at the end of the day I really don't wanna be forcing my laptop to shut down every ****ing time!

Thanks for that advice Namesco
    Manties wrote: »
    just reinstall vista, but first format the drive completly, delete both partitions and create one single partition. Then install vista and install the updates.

This is also an option, hmmm I think I may try this first then go for namesco's idea Manties, thanks for the help guys - will let you all know

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I did format it then re-installed vista over it again....

I think that the recovery partition was formatted also, obviously that's not good i take it?

As always, thanks for the help
    Yep, Thats when its time to call in Captain Jean Luc Pifacepalm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

Manties wrote: »

This is so strange that I read the OP's post. I could have written that word for word plus lots more.

exaxt same problem, after update, halfway green bar, crash, force off, repair prompt...the lot.

must be an incompatability problem somewhere!

i completely formatted the Hard-drive and reinstalled from the vista disk from DELL. I even had artifacts during the FRESH installation!:eek: (theyre gone now after some driver and windows updates)

I still get a crash like below every so often though, so manties, that doesnt really sort the problem. Im thinking my graphics card finally went POOF though.....

Laptopfreezescreen.jpg

anyone recognise this type of crash???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

check your graphics card and see if it is one of these

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/99597?comment_start=6&comment_count=20

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

They were in the vostro 1500 and some xps laptops might be the problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement