Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Battery Corrosion

Options
  • 30-09-2014 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

so my car battery is full of white residue/powder ( corrosion) whats a good way to get rid of it as i had my battery tested today and its 100% , the auto-electrician guy told me mix baking-soda with water and scrub it , then smear the terminals with Vaseline ?

is this a good idea ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

pudzey101 wrote: »
    so my car battery is full of white residue/powder ( corrosion) whats a good way to get rid of it as i had my battery tested today and its 100% , the auto-electrician guy told me mix baking-soda with water and scrub it , then smear the terminals with Vaseline ?

is this a good idea ?

Yes its a very good idea
    make sure the terminals are very clean even go over them with fine sand paper or use a battery brush.

Normally its the first sign of old battery thats starting to release gases and discharging when the connection fur up with corrosion.

Cleaning the battery poles and battery connectors is a must to avoid problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

must go at it during the week so :) theres also alot of corrosion on the bottom end edges of the battery :) just youtubed a few vids there looks simple enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Just pour a kettle of water over it. Always works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

About the Vaseline, put it on before or after connecting the lead to the terminal? I always wondered that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Just pour a kettle of water over it. Always works for me
    Just to clarify... boiling the water is necessary. :P But, this works well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just in case someone think boiling water is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Limerick's Biggest Auto-Electrician uses the 'boiling water' method.....when nobody is looking, and then charges for a "Battery Refurb" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

vaseline after the leads are connected, otherwise you wouldn't get a good connection...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Re Vaseline, thanks for the reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

thanks lads , what about the orangy rust/spots it has left behind on wires/cables by the drivshaft after cleaning ? whats good at removing this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jmrc wrote: »
    vaseline after the leads are connected, otherwise you wouldn't get a good connection...
    Not true. Remove the +/- connections. After the baking soda+boiling water, clean the battery posts and the inside of the terminals with fine sandpaper. Apply a bit of vaseline to both; tighten the connections.

If you feel like it, apply a bit more vaseline afterwards.

If vaseline caused bad contact, it would have been outed long ago...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

pudzey101 wrote: »
    thanks lads , what about the orangy rust/spots it has left behind on wires/cables by the drivshaft after cleaning ? whats good at removing this
    No need to worry about that. If you really want to do something, spray a bit of WD-40 over the general area.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi all,

I'm about to do this on my 407 Coupe but it has a number of connections on the positive terminal. I assume its still perfectly safe to pour boiling water on each terminal separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm about to do this on my 407 Coupe but it has a number of connections on the positive terminal. I assume its still perfectly safe to pour boiling water on each terminal separately?

Yeah it's fine. I used to work on HGV's and there was a lot of ancillary connections etc, it won't be an issue.

Advertisement