Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours for thesis

Options
  • 27-09-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I have to repeat my thesis. I think I am just going to take leave from work to do it. It is 15k words including footnotes. Would I get it done in 3 weeks if I treated it as a 9-5 job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    I have to repeat my thesis. I think I am just going to take leave from work to do it. It is 15k words including footnotes. Would I get it done in 3 weeks if I treated it as a 9-5 job?

You could write 15k words in that time easily but have you done all your research and the likes already? Nobody here can tell you how long that would take. There's no way I could have done my MSc thesis in three weeks from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Are you having to re-write because of 'style' and formatting issues or do you have to 'revise and re-submit' - the latter would suggest there are more fundamental problems that you may or may not be able to address in three weeks.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    That's an impossible question to answer - none of us have any idea of the extent of revision required.

If, however, by "repeat" you mean "re-write from scratch", then I don't see how that's doable in three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I did one,start to finish, unsupervised, in that time. Same length.

I got through, but I wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't do it that way again. I knew a lot about my subject. It was really just pulling sources together and forming an argument. But it was tough as fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

You could write 15k words in that time easily but have you done all your research and the likes already? Nobody here can tell you how long that would take. There's no way I could have done my MSc thesis in three weeks from scratch.

Maybe you couldn't, but others certainly could. ;)

It's about thinking outside the box, using intelligence. If you huff and puff, then it would ages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd reckon is doable with the right mindset. As one who has been invited to redo such work, one tip is not to dwell too much on the work that has gone before in terms of unfairness of rework but to take a fresh look at source material and check what is to be reused and what extra material is needed for new approach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The impetus of time can change everything. That being said, if you haven't done any research - and you say that you are repeating it - you will probably struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Rightwing wrote: »
    Maybe you couldn't, but others certainly could. ;)

It's about thinking outside the box, using intelligence. If you huff and puff, then it would ages.

It depends entirely on the subject matter and the level of research that has been done or needs to be done. I wrote my 13k word dissertation in 20 hours straight but I had my original research completed and analysed and all of my lit review information sorted.

OP, what feedback were you given? There is no way to answer your question without knowing what the problem was with the original submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

A lot of people seem to be offering the opinion that it is indeed possible to write a Masters thesis in three weeks.

That's not really what's up for discussion though - it's obviously possible.

The question is, is it advisable to attempt this. Given that, as far as we can tell from the OP, the thesis has to be, not corrected, but completely re-written, rushing through a second version seems like a really bad idea, given that the first version was, apparently, well below par, presumably because an insufficient amount of time was allocated for its completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

djpbarry wrote: »

The question is, is it advisable to attempt this.

Depends on the masters, tbh. If it's a research masters or M.phil, where the majority of the course credits lie with the research and thesis - then it certainly wouldn't be recommended.

If it's a taught masters, the research/project will account for 30 credits, of which the thesis might only be 40-50%.

Non submission of a thesis is grounds for refusal to award the degree. Submission of a poor thesis, while it might not be the best idea and reflects badly will allow you to graduate and probably won't affect the overall grade unless you're borderline to begin with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement