Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Primary Teaching / SNA

Options
  • 14-05-2014 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi there!

I have recently began studying to become a primary school teacher with the Hibernia College. I am currently employed as an SNA in a secondary school. I was advised of a circular re SNA's and Career Breaks at the time of being accepted for a place on the course. I brought this to the attention of my school and they were happy for me to continue working there on the condition that I take unpaid leave at the time of my school placement (teach practise) blocks. I rang Hibernia admissions and spoke with them about this. They advised me that once I had brought the circular to the attention of my school and informed them that I would be taking part on the course, and they had no issue, that I would be fine. Having received these assurances I happily accepted my place on the course.
    However at the induction day it was said that anybody working as an SNA would have to take a career break for the duration of the course. I spoke with the lady who mentioned this on the day and explained my position and she thought I would be ok. Since then she has contacted me saying that my details must be passed onto the department and that their hands are tied.
    Basically they are saying I must give up my job. This has come as quite a shock and I am not sure what to do next. I accepted my place on the course only on the back of the assurances I received that I would be able to continue in my current job.All of these assurances were made over the phone so I have no written record. I feel like the college have moved the goalposts as soon as I paid my fees. It seems strange that one can't continue to work when doing a blended learning course, this is one of the main appeals to doing such a course.

Has anybody else here ever been in this position before? Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated. I don't think I can afford to continue the course without being able to hold onto my job for at least another year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

The circular is pretty clear in fairness it has to be a full year for a career break (I think its the same with teachers though).
    I wouldn't take the word of anyone but the department on these issues

Will the college refund you the fees if you withdraw (especially as they gave you false information)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Hi I am a graduate of Hibernia's post-primary programme and in my experience if you dig your heels in they will soon cave- either that or deny you are working as an SNA. It is NO business of theirs what you work at outside college once u can commit to the coursework and teaching practice. Don't let them bully/intimidate you with false information.

If your school are ok with you doing course that's all that matters.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twixaroo

History Queen,

I passed the information onto my VP today and he's looking into it. School are very supportive so maybe they can work out it out with the department. I've already had to pass on details for Hibernia to pass onto the department after making them aware that I was an SNA. They say it has been an issue in the past. Not sure how it could be an issue when the school have given it the green light but hopefully can resolve it.

Seavill,

I have threatened to look for a refund but 10% of this is non refundable which was communicated to me from the outset. Hopefully the department will prove to be a little more understanding.

Thanks for replying! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

From experience with the department they won't budge an inch on these types of things, they make circulars for a reason and stick to them by the letter of the law.

Your hope really is that the school turn a blind eye and get an informal local arrangement in place for you to slip out and someone else to slip in for you and maybe you pay them but this would have to be kept under wraps and obviously the principal would have to be willing which is a lot to ask.
    Personally I wouldn't be drawing the departments attention to yourself if the school are possibly willing to play ball

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Seems strange to me. Perhaps the 'issues in the past' have arisen whereby someone on the course working as an SNA has tried to do their TP in that same school which could cause some form of conflict? Apart from that, I don't see what it makes any difference at all and as someone already said, it's none of their business what you do outside of college contact hours.

As for passing on information about SNAs to the Department - surely this screams of data protection as Hibernia are a private college so should have no reason to share or request DoE employee details.

In circular 22/2012 section 7.3 it states that SNAs undergoing teacher training may undertake work experience in a school while on career break, but if you're not on career break, what's to stop you? This is an interesting one alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 nickiirl

Hi twixaroo I'm just wondering was your situation resolved after and were you able to continue working as an SNA? I'm currently working as an SNA in a primary school and I'm hoping to apply for Hibernia. I would be in the same situation as you and would financially like keep my job too!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twixaroo

Hi Nickiirl!
    Sorry so slow to get back to you I don't log in to this too often! My situation was resolved to an extent in that we had cuts and I am now on half hours. However this has been of benefit despite the financial hit as you really do need to devote a lot of time to online lessons prior to the on site days and then there is also a lot of work to do prior to each tutorial. Not to mention the work involved in the assignments! So working half hours is the best thing for me presently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sandrig

I am in a similar situtation. Im currently repeating my LC Irish with the intention of starting Hibernia in Sept. I have a permanent SNA job and after getting a land of a lifetime to say I would have to leave my job and go n a career break?? I am so disheartened at this moment in time. I thought I had it solved being in the position I am in. Does anybody have a suggestions or ideas to get around this??

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

sandrig wrote: »
    I am in a similar situtation. Im currently repeating my LC Irish with the intention of starting Hibernia in Sept. I have a permanent SNA job and after getting a land of a lifetime to say I would have to leave my job and go n a career break?? I am so disheartened at this moment in time. I thought I had it solved being in the position I am in. Does anybody have a suggestions or ideas to get around this??

I don't think it would be possible to work as a full time SNA and do the course.
    It's very demanding and you have big blocks of teaching practice.
    I have no ideas or suggestions unfortunately.
    It's not a nice position to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lady of the flowers

Hi, I was also working as a SNA when I started Hib and the first I was informed of the circular was when Hib told me (the school never did) and when I had spent a significant amount on Irish lessons......
    I chose to inform Hib, that I was working as an SNA, and I continued to work as one until my first block of TP, when I had to leave my position (I started the course in April, and continued to work until Feb). I have now signed on. I had applied to my board for the leave for TP but this wasn't granted (I guessed it wouldn't be, but other cases may be different). Another girl on my course had been granted leave by the principal, but when the principal applied for a sub, the dept said she would have to leave.....
    So you could either keep stum, keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best, or do what I did... To be honest the career break is not really an option for most, as you can still be let go, and technically you are not allowed to work while on career break. Hope this info helps...
    Oh and once you are finished your TP, you can work as a sub, so depending on your school, they may let you leave and then hire you back as a sub (maybe till June?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You should not be working as an unqualified sub.

I am working as a substitute SNA and I am qualified to do that. Also I know people working as unqualified subs, as long as they are registered with the teaching council.

Also I know people working as unqualified subs, as long as they are registered with the teaching council.

That doesn't make it right.
    There should be nobody teaching unqualified.
    More than enough qualified teachers trying to get work.

Not in every area, every subject and with necessary language skills (e.g. for a gaelscoil). While I agree that it is best to be qualified (I've currently paid a lot of money to qualify as a teacher, and will be looking for work in the not too distant future), if the principal needs a sub, then it's really up to them to decide if the only person available is unqualified....

(I've currently paid a lot of money to qualify as a teacher, and will be looking for work in the not too distant future),

Exactly my point.
    Your day will come and you'll be looking for work/subbing.
    I'm sure you'd be pretty annoyed to learn that an unqualified person got the hours/subbing over you.
    There is no excuse for it in this day and age, with hundreds of unemployed qualified teachers.
    Saying "ah sure it's ok in certain circumstances ", means that the practice is somewhat acceptable and excusable.
    It's hard enough for NQTs to find work as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dingle20144

Hi all ,

Sooo Ive decided to go through Hibernian to qualify as a primary teacher. I have graduate from college with a H.Dip in Software design but wish to follow my childhood dream of teaching.

I am hoping to apply for the course at Christmas with the start date in March and will be starting an Irish course in September to brush up on my Irish vocab. which is required for the the Irish interview side of things.

I know nothing about the course, so past or current students would be great to hear from as well as those who know more than me :) Costs, modules, requirements, anything I really need to know.

I am Male and 25, so job opportunities after the course will be good ?

Thank you all for the help in pursuing my dream :)

The course is intense and there is a lot of work involved.
    The cost is roughly €12,000.
    A lot of students would not say it's "part-time".
    Do you have higher level Irish in the Leaving Cert?
    You need to have a C in higher level Irish as well as an undergrad degree.
    The job opportunities in primary teaching are not "good" at the minute male or female.
    Read some of the threads on educationposts.
    Be prepared that you may be doing bits and pieces of subbing for a few years.
    I would advise trying to do some observation in a primary school before committing and also doing plenty of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MMB11

Twixaroo wrote: »
    History Queen,

I passed the information onto my VP today and he's looking into it. School are very supportive so maybe they can work out it out with the department. I've already had to pass on details for Hibernia to pass onto the department after making them aware that I was an SNA. They say it has been an issue in the past. Not sure how it could be an issue when the school have given it the green light but hopefully can resolve it.

Seavill,

I have threatened to look for a refund but 10% of this is non refundable which was communicated to me from the outset. Hopefully the department will prove to be a little more understanding.

Thanks for replying! :)

Hi ,

I am currently an SNA and have just been accepted into the Hibernia PME , does any one know how to approach this? How is it possible to "keep it under wraps" ? Would that mean taking unpaid leave and then they get a sub in? Does any one know what the issue is wit SNAs working while on the course? We only need the 7 weeks off for TP

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

You're only entitled to 10 days unpaid leave as an SNA. I don't think it will be possible to keep it under wraps to be honest.
    Short of going out sick, which isn't an option as you can't "work" while certified sick, you won't get seven weeks off. They won't pay a sub for that cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ladynadey

Hi.

I would love to be able to do teaching and work as an sna at the same time. It's ridiculous that this can't be done. Anyways I'm wondering if any did home tuition whilst doing the course as a means to earn some income? Or what people did.

Thanks a million

• Advertisement
Advertisement