Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading OS from 10.5.8?

• 03-10-2014 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey guys. Girlfriend convinced me to get her macbook repaired instead of buying a new laptop. Cost me almost 300euro! On the plus side she can now retrieve all here files etc from it. Anyhow I got the repairs done and its working fine but the operating system is old and I want to upgrade it to be able to use chrome etc. Anyone able to help me out as to best way to proceed. Its a macbook and i am clueless here. Been looking around online and it seems i can upgrade to snow leopard!! No idea whats the best thing to do. I plan on wiping the hard drive to free up space as there is only 5/6 gb free. any advice much appreciated. Model Heres the specs of the machine;

Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 3 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B05
    SMC Version (system): 1.38f5
    Serial Number (system): W8912HZ74R1
    Hardware UUID: AB0BA347-8FD8-5536-A671-E8BB4EDEDCDD
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I'd see if you can bump the RAM up a bit, and stick an SSD in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Highest that Mac can go is 10.7.5..

Best best is to upgrade to 10.6, add some more ram like the previous post mentioned and you're good to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

+1 for the SSD, makes a huge difference.

2 equal sized memory modules will also help - 2x2GB modules instead of the current 2GB & 1GB modules, so you only need to buy one 2GB module which won't cost much. Memoryc.ie to Crucial.com are both good sources for both RAM and SSDs. I'd recommend the Samsung 840 series and I know they work in that model.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bunnymunro

ZENER wrote: »
    +1 for the SSD, makes a huge difference.

2 equal sized memory modules will also help - 2x2GB modules instead of the current 2GB & 1GB modules, so you only need to buy one 2GB module which won't cost much. Memoryc.ie to Crucial.com are both good sources for both RAM and SSDs. I'd recommend the Samsung 840 series and I know they work in that model.

Ken
    Thanks guys I will look in to all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

To be honest though, €300 for the repair, more for an SSD and extra RAM and you are over half way to a modern machine...

Your gf's Mac will fly alright but be stuck forever on 10.7. Eventually developers will stop supporting this OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Agreed but the 300 has already been spent, may as well get the best value for it ?!

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bunnymunro

Hey guys financially not really going to be able to invest much more into this machine at the moment. So my question is if I just go ahead and upgrade to OS 10.6 would I risk messing the machine up if i don't add the extra RAM or SSD? Its working ok but really i would just like to be able to use chrome to use apps like hola so on and so forth.

Advertisement