Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint Bubbles

Options
  • 19-10-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Ok really stumped here and have read up on bubbling and its causes with no solution standing out.

We recently bought a house and are painting the living room which was originally quite a strong blue colour.

So we cleaned the walls, scraped, sanded, dusted down.
    The we applied 2 coats of all purpose interior white paint, like is used for ceilings.
    Then we applied a coat of dulux vinyl matt paint.

All ok so far and no bubbles.

This was left for a day to dry.

Then when we tried to apply the final coat of the matt paint bubbles start appearing, only on the walls that had the blue paint, no bubbles on recently skimmed areas. To test whether it was the paint we applied in different areas, white ceiling paint and bonding but all paints are now giving the same result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

I always found it be to be the type of roller being used that causes bubbles. Before your wall had a few coats of paint on it, it was probably porous enough to absorb any air but now they are sealed, the air has nowhere to go so just sits there until it dries. Changing to a roller with a shorter nap and slowing down usually helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ali123

Thanks Cheif. We applied some of the paint with a brush and this is blistering nearly worse than the roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I would sand down the walls again and seal the walls with an oil sealer and let it dry. Then you can paint. Bubbles won't appear then.

Very odd! I take it all the paints are deffo emulsion? Are your brushes new? Did you wash the brushes and roller with anything other than water?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ali123

All paints are the same dulux brand. Rollers are new. The bit that really stumps me is that the plastered wall is fine. So it has to be the original blue paint causing the problem. But why now after it has already taken a few coats.

• Advertisement

It does sound extremely odd for it to be happening after a few coats and I'm afraid I am also stumped. The only thing I can suggest is that you email Dulux and ask for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

Did you clean the walls down with sugar soap? You may also want to look at an alkali resisting primer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wonder we're the surfaces in question ever 'sealed' with PVA???

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement