Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Piece Of Plastic Options

Options
  • 18-10-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking got get a custom piece of plastic made that will act as a ramp for wheelbarrows, lawnmowers etc. into an outside shed. The dimensions etc are approximately

Width (i.e. width of shed door) - 91cm
    Height (i.e. vertical height from top to bottom of ramp) - 8.1cm
    Depth (i.e. horizontal distance from start of ramp to end of ramp) - 12cm.
    Length of the diagonal (ramp) - 14.5cm (based on yer man Pythagoras)

So the final shape is a triangular prism type thingy similar to example B here

This is in a pretty damp area so prefer plastic to wood.

Where can I get this made to above specs? I'm slightly familiar with 3D printing but 3D printing more suited to small, more complex objects as I understand it. Any help appreciated...

Thanks!
    super_freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

I know of a fella in park west that can make pretty much anything out of plastic. We use him to make drip trays, enclosures etc. Am I allowed to mention his name etc or should I keep it to PM?

Why not use marine ply though if its a damp area?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

jeepers101 wrote: »
    I know of a fella in park west that can make pretty much anything out of plastic. We use him to make drip trays, enclosures etc. Am I allowed to mention his name etc or should I keep it to PM?

Why not use marine ply though if its a damp area?

Thanks jeepers101 :-)

Don't think there's any problem posting contact details for the guy if he's a legitimate business.

Not familiar with marine ply but that sounds like a decent option also. When I think of plywood though I think of a sheet of plywood. Would marine ply be available in a block like what I require? If so, what would be the easiest way to get this custom-machined? Don't have access to a lathe / similar myself...

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Why complicate things, this is something that can easily be made into any shape with a bit of concrete.

By the way, 80mmx120mm gives you a rather steep 33 degree incline, which could easily snag a lawnmover. If at all possible look at extending the ramp to make it more shallow.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Why complicate things, this is something that can easily be made into any shape with a bit of concrete.

By the way, 80mmx120mm gives you a rather steep 33 degree incline, which could easily snag a lawnmover. If at all possible look at extending the ramp to make it more shallow.

Thanks slimjimmc!

Concrete definitely an option, just wanted to see what are my options on a more temporary solution.

Thanks for feedback on ramp too, will definitely look at extending the ramp.

super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That will be very expensive in plastic not to mention slippery.
    Make it out of treated timber and use chicken wire nailed on to it to stop slipping, until you can pour a concrete one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

3D plastic printing €5,000
    Bucket of cement €5

I'd go for the plastic.

OK, looks like the best temporary option is some kind of treated timber. Leaving aside for the moment what kind of treatment / timber is required, where would I get a piece of timber such as this machined to a spec similar to what I mentioned?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

scudo2 wrote:
    3D plastic printing €5,000 Bucket of cement €5

Doubt op requires that level of engineering lol, 4 pieces of perspex cut and bolted sounds more like what is required.
    I'd be more inclined to concrete especially if you can find a bucket of it for a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

OK, looks like the best temporary option is some kind of treated timber. Leaving aside for the moment what kind of treatment / timber is required, where would I get a piece of timber such as this machined to a spec similar to what I mentioned?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Freddie,

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of spending money or anything but would you not just go for something simple? Few pieces of marine ply and some screws/ nails? (or the aforementioned bucket of cement)

This doesnt have to be complicated, you can make it as fancy as you want but unless you're all left thumbs this is something you'd be able to do yourself no?

You'd save some money and have the satisfaction of having done it yourself.
    A sheet of 8*4 marine ply would cost less than 50 quid and there'd be enough of it for 3 ****ups and one success?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

bladespin wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to concrete especially if you can find a bucket of it for a fiver.

well, be a little bit more, bag of cement is about a fiver, few bags of sand, and a six pack, still spend less than 20 euro :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

What is wrong with a couple of triangular pieces of wood and screwing some decking to them.
    that will be strong enough for wheelbarrows etc. and if given a good coat of preservative every year will last a long time

Advertisement