Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting brown PVC windows.

Options
  • 14-04-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone. Just looking for some advice here. I have recently just finished building a garage and as this was built to a budget, we put in dark brown pvc windows and a door that we got for free. I am now wondering is it possible to paint these black to match the windows and doors of the house. If you can, I would love some advice on how best to go about doing this. Thanks in advance for any help.... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You'll need a special primer, available in painting trade suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gonso

Ok, sorry this may seem very silly. Do i just clean them down, paint on the primer, let it dry and then paint on a top coat??? What paint would I use as a top coat... Thanks...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

is this really gonna work? how long do you foresee this paint job lasting?

I honestly don't know. I haven't done it yet and was just looking for some advice about whether I could do it or not. Maybe I would be better leave them as they are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

My fear would be a short time down the road it will peel like a bitch and look pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Would you consider covering them in a black vinyl normally used in the signage industry?

Sign company will provide with a few samples of colour, and you should be able to get it in matt or gloss.

You need to make sure surface is clean to avoid marks, and you will need to apply it with a squeegee

That sounds like an idea, but I wouldn't even know where to start with that, or how to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

If you are going to paint, try and take out the glass/rubbers before hand. Saves you all that cutting in. The primer you want is ESP (easy surface primer) you wipe it on and gives a key to surface when dry. I would stick to white or a light coloured paint as black or dark colours will attract the sun and will blister the paint work.

If you go with the sheets of Vinyl, think its called Fascal vinyl sheets. Comes in various colours.

Also this job will be a constant maintenance job to you...But if you don't mind that then fire away.

Actually I think International Paints have a paint out that primes and undercoats PVC. Would also suggest to stick to Satin or Eggshell finish.

There you go...

http://www.international-paints.co.uk/products/info/upvc_primer.jsp

Thanks for that mad m. Has anyone here actually done this I wonder...

• Advertisement

gonso wrote: »
    Thanks for that mad m. Has anyone here actually done this I wonder...

Have painted Aluminum windows before and had to use etch primer on it first. Like anything that gets painted that's exterior its open to the elements and constant maintenance will be needed....

But to answer your question I've never painted PVC. I'd be reluctant to...

Goodluck with it though...If you do paint it post a couple of pics, plus the do's and don't.....

Thanks again mad m. I will have a look around and see whats available as regards products. If I do go ahead with it, I will let ye know how it goes. I dont know if I ll have any do's to pass on though, probably end up with alot of don'ts :rolleyes: Thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Magown3

Did you eventually paint the windows?

Id love to paint/cover my horrible brown windows so lookin into it now. ;)

just bought a house and it has white pvc windows. Going to try a cream vinyl and see how it goes.

will let you know in a few weeks time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

just bought a house and it has white pvc windows. Going to try a cream vinyl and see how it goes.

Make sure the PVC is cleaned with a suitable cleaner to get rid of silicates from polishes and the sealer around the window. Vinyl will not stick to this. Your vinyl supplier will have the right product for this.
    Make sure you use the right grade of Vinyl, don't go for cheap 'calendar' vinyl, it will shrink in the heat of the sun. 'Cast' vinyl would be best imo. Have plenty of new blades too and change them regularly. Talk to your supplier about post heating the vinyl with a heatgun or good hairdryer after you have applied it.
    I know people in the trade who have done this on pvc windows with no comebacks.

p.s. If your vinyl supplier is a signmaker, it might be an idea to get him to run it through a plotter and cut it in slighty oversized strips, if that makes sense. Would make application very handy, lay on the vinyl and ease it under the rubber seals.

Happyman42 wrote: »

Make sure the PVC is cleaned with a suitable cleaner to get rid of silicates from polishes and the sealer around the window. Vinyl will not stick to this. Your vinyl supplier will have the right product for this.
    Make sure you use the right grade of Vinyl, don't go for cheap 'calendar' vinyl, it will shrink in the heat of the sun. 'Cast' vinyl would be best imo. Have plenty of new blades too and change them regularly. Talk to your supplier about post heating the vinyl with a heatgun or good hairdryer after you have applied it.
    I know people in the trade who have done this on pvc windows with no comebacks.

p.s. If your vinyl supplier is a signmaker, it might be an idea to get him to run it through a plotter and cut it in slighty oversized strips, if that makes sense. Would make application very handy, lay on the vinyl and ease it under the rubber seals.

Great advice happy man. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

Did you go ahead with this Paddy?

I was thinking of doing the same but the maintenance element the lads mentioned there is putting me off... I wouldnt like the idea of constantly repainting the blistering... if that was the case I would probably just invest the money in new windows

deepriver wrote: »
    Did you go ahead with this Paddy?

I was thinking of doing the same but the maintenance element the lads mentioned there is putting me off... I wouldnt like the idea of constantly repainting the blistering... if that was the case I would probably just invest the money in new windows

Haven't tried thus due to priorities on other parts of the house and bad weather over the winter. Planning to clean the outside of the house and try the vinyl this spring

• Registered Users Posts: 4 learner1959

Hi,
    am going to try painting my white pvc frames in the next couple of weeks. here is an interesting link i came across
    http://www.albany.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=79&Itemid=72

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 d.cullen

Hi,there is a company called windowmakeover.ie that will come out and spray your pvc windows to a factory finish in any colour and its guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BBones

I'd love to hear of a pvc paint also! Need to do my brown facia which has been bleached and faded by the sun. I've seen krylon plastic paint but only in aerosol which is'nt very practical. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭richiet

BBones wrote: »
    I'd love to hear of a pvc paint also! Need to do my brown facia which has been bleached and faded by the sun. I've seen krylon plastic paint but only in aerosol which is'nt very practical. Any suggestions?

A paint called Bullseye, available in any decent paint shop, and can be tinted to your chosen colour. Water based too so easy stuff to use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

BBones wrote: »

I glossed my PVC fascia and soffit six years ago and its still perfect.

I also done my PVC windows, but I gave them a coat of BIN primer first then 2 coats of gloss.

I have never had a problem with them. Just make sure you give them a good washing first, and leave plenty time to dry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I'm getting interested in this, I have brown PVC soffits, fascias and gutters and the gutters in particular are very faded from the sun. I thought I would have to replace them but this might be an option. Or, would the shape make them so difficult to prep that it would be easier to get some overtime and go with plan A?

Cedrus wrote: »
    I'm getting interested in this, I have brown PVC soffits, fascias and gutters and the gutters in particular are very faded from the sun. I thought I would have to replace them but this might be an option. Or, would the shape make them so difficult to prep that it would be easier to get some overtime and go with plan A?

Give em a good power wash, and do as I said above. You will be amazed at how well they look afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Give em a good power wash, and do as I said above. You will be amazed at how well they look afterwards.

I presume I'd have to do everything, or could I get a colour match to the soffits (which haven't faded at all)? Can you use any gloss paint or does it have to be 'PVC' paint?

Cedrus wrote: »
    I presume I'd have to do everything, or could I get a colour match to the soffits (which haven't faded at all)? Can you use any gloss paint or does it have to be 'PVC' paint?

I used dulux gloss.

Just match the colour from a colour card. I just put the gloss straight on the fascia and soffit, no primers needed.

I BIN primed the windows first just to be safe. I'll stick up a few pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pola5

michael, just reading your advice re windows - ALBEIT thinking of doing same - was it a success ? COULD YOU POST A PHOTO ?P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pola5

michael, just reading your advice re windows - ALBEIT LAST YEAR! thinking of doing same - was it a success ? COULD YOU POST A PHOTO ?P

• Advertisement

pola5 wrote: »
    michael, just reading your advice re windows - ALBEIT LAST YEAR! thinking of doing same - was it a success ? COULD YOU POST A PHOTO ?P

There still fine. No peeling or anything.

Haven't had to do them since.

Advertisement