Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh bugger...

Options
  • 07-10-2014 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭

Hi

installed Yosemite...decided to role back

Problem with backup, decided to go into disk utility and restore form there...

Now have serious problem...

I can do nothing in disk utility

Cant erase Yoesmite disk, cant erase my disk to start,

Try to re-install OSX but it cant find a disk

When I try to restore, it only shows a rescue disk...

I cant delete partitions, or erase disks..

The machine keeps booting into disk utility mode over and over...

Any help welcome...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

How did you install Yosemite? Can you boot into recovery partition? Can you get an OSX install disc, either DVD or USB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I got a code from the mac site and dowloaded via the app store

When in disk utility I can do nothing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can't install Mavericks over Yosemite. You have to erase the volume first and you can't do this while booted from said volume. You could boot into recovery mode but it will only offer you Yosemite to re-install.

You shouldn't have installed Yosemite on your main partition if you weren't sure you were going to stick with it. It's in GM now so I'd recommend staying put. If Yosemite is currently hosed as a result of your attempts to restore you can boot into recovery mode and re-install it by holding command-r on startup.

If you insist on rolling back follow the guide here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2458050/how-to-revert-to-mavericks-from-the-yosemite-public-beta.html

You can't install Mavericks over Yosemite. You have to erase the volume first and you can't do this while booted from said volume. You could boot into recovery mode but it will only offer you Yosemite to re-install.

You shouldn't have installed Yosemite on your main partition if you weren't sure you were going to stick with it. It's in GM now so I'd recommend staying put. If Yosemite is currently hosed as a result of your attempts to restore you can boot into recovery mode and re-install it by holding command-r on startup.

If you insist on rolling back follow the guide here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2458050/how-to-revert-to-mavericks-from-the-yosemite-public-beta.html

Hi

I am happy to keep using it, but when i Command R to re-install it I get Disk Utility and click Re-install, when it ask where do I want to install it only gives me the recovery disk, and says that this is locked..and says it cannot be installed on Recovery HD.

I though I had partition it..but obviously not

My prob is also that I cannot erase any disk in Disk Utility

I have booted form a boot disk, but still wont allow me to erase or re partition any disk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the original Yosemite partition visible in Disk Utility? What happens when you try to erase it?

• Advertisement

And to be clear, it is the volume you are trying to erase, right? Not the entire disk, because that won’t work since you are booted off the recovery partition.

This is what I see

IMG_0035_zps781fa6c4.jpg

IMG_0037_zps735fd91c.jpg

Cant do anything to either disk

You’re in the wrong drive. You need to click on Macintosh HD. See if you can repair or erase from there. You’ll need be booted from an external boot disk.

OK...

So I restore over the internet , this cleared my drive, I renamed it, and erased it.
    then went into restore OS, it found my "New" drive and is currently installing OSX on new HD

Phew...

Lesson learnt, create external partition

DT

Well....

After getting everything working again, I went into Migration Assistant to restore everything.

Then I was told by the Mac

Volumes Not Found...

anyone know how I can restore my info.

I have name the HD the same and on the NAS, I can see the sparse-bundle file

But neither Time machine nor Migration assistant can retrieve any data

Any ideas?

DT

• Advertisement

Was the sparsebundle created in Yosemite and you're trying to restore it back to Mavericks?

Zcott wrote: »
    Was the sparsebundle created in Yosemite and you're trying to restore it back to Mavericks?

I have restored back to Mavericks, but there was a backup done in Yosemite...

I have done a Mavericks backup before the Yosemite upgrade

Would I need to go back to Yosemite to do backup ?

On iOS backups aren't backward compatible, so you can't restore an iOS 8 backup to a device running iOS 7. Looks like the same might be happening here. I'm no expert but I think your data is stuck unless you restore it all back to Yosemite.

Oki Doki.....

so, the problem doing a restore or doing a migration assistant restore was basically due to the fact that my NAS seemed to have an incomplete backup that was preventing a restore

the fix...reboot the NAS

and as we speak she is 20% restored

I have learnt a huge amount about all this stuff this week.

thanks for all the input from everyone here and even more thanks for not doing the....you shouldn't be downloading betas.....yada... Yada

I was thinking of writing it up as a "how to" type thing

would it be worth doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

thanks for all the input from everyone here and even more thanks for not doing the....you shouldn't be downloading betas.....yada... Yada

This made me smile. It's so annoying when people do that!

Glad you got your stuff back!

Advertisement