Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert irish HL->OL

Options
  • 29-01-2015 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Right so Im doing applied maths as an 8th subject and am wondering if there is much difference between the honours and ordinary level course in Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Ben134 wrote: »
    Right so Im doing applied maths as an 8th subject and am wondering if there is much difference between the honours and ordinary level course in Irish?

The higher level standard is significantly higher. In HL you have to write an aiste while in OL there's a story like the JC HL ones. HL also have to study something like A Thig Na Tit Orm whereas OL don't. OL also don't have to go into nearly as much detail for the stories and poetry and also the reading comprehensions are much simpler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This thread might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

I'm in 5th year and personally I find higher irish an incredibly time consuming subject! For me it is right up there with higher maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I'm assuming you did HL for the Junior Cert? I did too but decided to opt for OL at the Leaving Cert, it is essentially the same as the JC HL with the addition of the oral. Paper I is the aural then written, Students generally do a letter and a story (an accident etc etc.) and these are roughly 1 A4 page in length. Paper II has two reading comprehensions, two poems and also a story you have studied. It's pretty easy really. If you are able for honours, I'd recommend doing honours. I dropped to OL because I was too lazy to do it at HL and regret my decision at it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ben134

I'd be well able of HL Irish but I'd only get like a C1 or maybe scrape a B3 but in all my other subjects (except English) I'd be getting A1's and A2's and B1's, which are Maths, Applied Maths, Accounting, Physics, Biology and French
    Irish alongside English are my two weakest and I was just considering dropping one of them just to cut down work and study

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Ben134

Is there anything in the OL course that isn't covered in the HL course? Like are all the poems the same, the same story (An Triail)?

Advertisement