Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate DARE scheme, st Angela's college sligo

Options
  • 26-01-2015 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about getting into at Angela's college points needed are around 450 and not a hope I'm going to get that :( how many points will I get off ? And has anyone actually done this with st Angela's ? I'm doing dare scheme due to ulcerative colitis and I'm also getting home tuition and have been quite sick in the last two years due to medication not working and really want to do this course!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Based on what you've said I'd say it's pretty likely you'll be accepted to DARE, though there is definitely no guarantee. The amount of points you get off varies greatly between courses and demand. There are a certain amount of places allocated to DARE and of the people who have been accepted into the scheme, the one's with the highest points will be offered the places. This usually ranges from 20-70 points though could be more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Hi, I'm in St Angela's in first year Home Ec and Biology, if you want to ask any questions about the course don't be afraid to send me a message. I personally got into college on HEAR, but got no points reduced place. A few of my friends got in on DARE, but didn't get offered points reduced places as far as I know either. We get the benefits of HEAR/DARE but there's very little points reduced places on offer, at least there was for 2014 entry. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chloe slattery

Hi, I'm in St Angela's in first year Home Ec and Biology, if you want to ask any questions about the course don't be afraid to send me a message. I personally got into college on HEAR, but got no points reduced place. A few of my friends got in on DARE, but didn't get offered points reduced places as far as I know either. We get the benefits of HEAR/DARE but there's very little points reduced places on offer, at least there was for 2014 entry. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much!
    And did they just get the required points anyway? I know I won't get the points iv missed so much from being sick but my career counsil in school said I would get up to 50 points off? And what's the thing with the second round points could I get reduced points on that round?
    When I went to the opening day they said the course is very tough and full on would you agree?

Thanks so much!
    And did they just get the required points anyway? I know I won't get the points iv missed so much from being sick but my career counsil in school said I would get up to 50 points off? And what's the thing with the second round points could I get reduced points on that round?
    When I went to the opening day they said the course is very tough and full on would you agree?

It all depends on the individual college and places each year how many places are available and how many points would be reduced. You could get 5 points off or 50 points off, it really depends. You could get them on second round but most places are filled in first round.

The course is tough. You need to be very organised and be prepared to work very hard. This week alone the biology elective had 33 hours of lectures, textiles, cooking and labs, not including any extra work like meetings about teaching, assignment work or anything else. It's a lot of time and effort but lecturers are very nice, dedicated and classmates all go through it together so it's easier when you've support there too. If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It would be unusual for any college to give out any information as to whether any individual on DARE or HEAR entered on lower points. It's nobody's business.

If you think you might qualify, apply anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Kmgirl

The course is changing to 5 years next year which I predict will result in less people applying for the course. I'd say there is a very high chance the points will drop I would be surprised if they didn't tbh!. In the 5 year course you have to complete a final year masters in order to be qualified to teach which costs 4000 euro and you are unable to get any susi grant to help fund your fees and accommodation. To me, I can see it being a major turn off for many people, I know it would have probably turned me off applying for the course anyway.
    Good luck anyway in applying. Hopefully you'll get a place on the course!

Kmgirl wrote: »
    The course is changing to 5 years next year which I predict will result in less people applying for the course. I'd say there is a very high chance the points will drop I would be surprised if they didn't tbh!. In the 5 year course you have to complete a final year masters in order to be qualified to teach which costs 4000 euro and you are unable to get any susi grant to help fund your fees and accommodation. To me, I can see it being a major turn off for many people, I know it would have probably turned me off applying for the course anyway.
    Good luck anyway in applying. Hopefully you'll get a place on the course!

Ya when I went to the opening day they were saying that and it doesn't turn me off the course at all tbh, I still would love to do it. Hopefully others won't doe :L I hope points do drop thanks anyway!

It all depends on the individual college and places each year how many places are available and how many points would be reduced. You could get 5 points off or 50 points off, it really depends. You could get them on second round but most places are filled in first round.

The course is tough. You need to be very organised and be prepared to work very hard. This week alone the biology elective had 33 hours of lectures, textiles, cooking and labs, not including any extra work like meetings about teaching, assignment work or anything else. It's a lot of time and effort but lecturers are very nice, dedicated and classmates all go through it together so it's easier when you've support there too. If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask!

Thanks! When you say the course is tough would you say it's tougher then the leaving cert?

Thanks! When you say the course is tough would you say it's tougher then the leaving cert?

It depends really. If you really enjoy something you'll have to work less at it to be good at it you know? The course content isn't tough itself, there's just so much of it. Prepare to be in college from 9-5 nearly everyday, and if you're not doing chemistry for leaving cert maybe over the summer after the LC have a look at the LC chemistry course, it will stand to you as you have to do chemistry from Sep-Dec of first year and it is difficult if you haven't done chemistry before.

Advertisement