Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACA Training contract query

Options
  • 11-09-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'm currently in a training contract but am unhappy in the job and the city (which will remain nameless). I was wondering if I were to terminate my contract and do a masters would I be able to sign a new ACA contract after the masters? Also, just so people don't get confused by saying I'm unhappy in the job I mean the office and the boss not the actual field of accountancy

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Unsureaca wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'm currently in a training contract but am unhappy in the job and the city (which will remain nameless). I was wondering if I were to terminate my contract and do a masters would I be able to sign a new ACA contract after the masters? Also, just so people don't get confused by saying I'm unhappy in the job I mean the office and the boss not the actual field of accountancy

Well I expect that you'd have few problems in signing a new ACA contract, assuming you get an offer of course. But it is hard to know if what you hate about the office or the boss is the normal run of the mill stuff or not... you may well find that doing the masters does not change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

Unsureaca wrote: »

Do you plan on doing a masters in Accounting? is it you just want another year in College. Wouldnt really see the point in this.

How long are you into your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Unsureaca

MrSzyslak wrote: »
    Do you plan on doing a masters in Accounting? is it you just want another year in College. Wouldnt really see the point in this.

How long are you into your contract?

Yeah its a masters in accounting and I was planning on doing it if the cap2 repeats don't go well. If I pass them I was going to try to transfer the contract. I'm here just shy of a year now and it's not getting any better

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

I don't think you need to terminate the contract with the Institute? I'm not 100% on this but it's worth checking with the institute as I'm prettysure you'll be able to get your experience transferred to another employer (just make sure you get your CA Diary FULLY signed off by your mentor BEFORE you leave indefinitely - i've heard this having consequences for someone I know before).

Contact the Institute and see if they have anything to add on this. They're usually quite helpful in this regard...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

Hackysack wrote: »
    I don't think you need to terminate the contract with the Institute? I'm not 100% on this but it's worth checking with the institute as I'm prettysure you'll be able to get your experience transferred to another employer (just make sure you get your CA Diary FULLY signed off by your mentor BEFORE you leave indefinitely - i've heard this having consequences for someone I know before).

Contact the Institute and see if they have anything to add on this. They're usually quite helpful in this regard...

I think in special circumstances you can but they are a bit sticky about this, you'll need to present your reasons for seeking this. Personally I wouldn't see the point in pursuing a master one year into a training contract, if you have sat CAP2's and repeats you will be covering exactly the same material for 9 months on the masters programme. However if you have the cash and would like another year in college I suppose they would be no harm done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement