Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing as the dream job?

Options
  • 26-08-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi All,

I work in an accounts dept but desperately want to move. I've noticed over last few months how stressed and anxious I get. I was looking at getting into accounts in a multinational or a practice. I am a CPA, CTA and I just finished an Accounting Hons degree, which I did part time.

I keep hearing that there is a 'boom' in the accountancy sector but I don't see it. I have sent out CV's but don't get a reply never mind an interview. I just want a job where I can be happy (corny I know!) with career prospects and good working environment.

I have the opportunity to work part time in a small practice (I worked here before) while I look for a more permanent position. But I'm afraid I wouldn't find anything more permanent after leaving full time employment.

Do you believe in the 'dream' job? Or even better are you in your dream job?

Blooming :)

P.s. sorry for long post (ie rant)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

Blooming wrote: »
    Hi All,

I work in an accounts dept but desperately want to move. I've noticed over last few months how stressed and anxious I get. I was looking at getting into accounts in a multinational or a practice. I am a CPA, CTA and I just finished an Accounting Hons degree, which I did part time.

I keep hearing that there is a 'boom' in the accountancy sector but I don't see it. I have sent out CV's but don't get a reply never mind an interview. I just want a job where I can be happy (corny I know!) with career prospects and good working environment.

I have the opportunity to work part time in a small practice (I worked here before) while I look for a more permanent position. But I'm afraid I wouldn't find anything more permanent after leaving full time employment.

Do you believe in the 'dream' job? Or even better are you in your dream job?

Blooming :)

P.s. sorry for long post (ie rant)

You have experience and qualifications therefore a move for you shouldn't be difficult. Try going to recruiters as they can get you interviews much quicker than you applying for a role yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

+1 for going through a recruiter.

When I was job seeking 2 years ago I went to a few interviews and applied for roles directly through the jobs websites and none of them were really what I wanted.

I decided to try my luck with a recruiting company and sent them an email explaining what kind of role I was looking for, the area I wanted to work in and the benefits I wanted.

I ended up interviewing for and getting the first role they sent me which ticked all the boxes I had specified and even had additional perks I never thought I'd get.

If you want details of the recruiter I went with just send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Hi,

Have you got a LinkedIn profile? I found this very useful, when I changed jobs earlier this year.

Put all your experience down, and tag as many different things that you can do. Excel, Management Accounts, VAT returns, Company Secretarial etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Does your degree get you exemptions from accountancy exams such as 9 fundamental exams in ACCA or CAP1 if you pursue ACCA?

There quite a few job advertisements for part qualified accountants so if you have either of the above and still cant get an interview, it would be worth talking to a recruitment agency for some advise if nothing else.

How well is the presentation of your cv? e.g, is it between 1-2 pages only or is it more?, how is the layout and wording of your cv?

If you already meet the criteria for exemption and still can get an interview, you should also contact the employers to applied to and ask for feedback as there must be a valid reason you are being overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

Not sure anyone has ever considered Accountancy as a dream job!

Contact a couple of recruiters, some are very good on how to market & present yourself. Have an idea of what you're looking for. There's definitely more jobs (predominantly Dublin/Cork admittedly) than there were pre 2013. It seems like you have good experience and qualifications so good luck with the search.

• Advertisement
Advertisement