Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Melon head

AAFRP- How are people organising their file(s) for this assessment? Is anybody getting study leave prior to the assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Melon head wrote: »
    AAFRP- How are people organising their file(s) for this assessment? Is anybody getting study leave prior to the assessment?

No study leave - taken 2 days out my time in lieu / annual leave.

I just have a file with 1 A4 page of key notes from each standard, 1 A4 page of key disclosures and the remaining disclosures tabbed in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Melon head

I am planning to take 3 days( annual leave) I think I will leave my study leave for the summer. My file is in a bit is a mess atm, but was thinking of doing the same as yourself. Need the folder to be as easy accessible as possible on the day, as I would say timing is gonna be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Melon head wrote: »

Taking one day annual leave- find Derry Cotters notes very good!

Judging by previous years students advise, it seems very important to attempt a "mock" AAFRP in the weeks leading upto it; completing a full Section 1, 2 & 3 in the 110 mins.

I'll be doing this the weekend before the AAFRP - should really give you an idea of where you stand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

Cork Audit Elective time table anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DK92

Could someone tell me if there is an AAFRP workshop in Galway on April 3rd?
    I see it scheduled for the other regions but now galway

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I'm taking two days out of annual leave to study for the AAFRP. My file is currently a work in progress but will end up being quite concise. If I bring too much material in, I tend to get bogged down by it all. I'm going to start studying in the evenings and weekends from now on. Hoping to get lots done next week as I'm on block release and won't be stuck in the office!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

How many cases have people attempted at this stage? Ive four done.

DK92 wrote: »
    Could someone tell me if there is an AAFRP workshop in Galway on April 3rd?
    I see it scheduled for the other regions but now galway

All Galway students have to travel to Limerick for the AAFRP workshop on Goof Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

Anybody else repeating the Audit Elective? how much study leave would you need? I thought 2 weeks would be ok until I heard others saying that they are taking 6 weeks for the elective. What's the usual repeat elective study leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cagney87

Im taking about 6 wks for repeating the core, no way would you need 6 for the elective in my opinion but I suppose everyones different! If you tip away at it from now ( I know its easier said) you would have a fair idea of the material and then just do questions for the few weeks off.

Why are they only having 3 workshops on Friday?? Could they not have scheduled some on another day in the rest of locations? I can't get to any of the locations on Friday which is really annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 damienm321

Debs23 wrote: »
    Could someone please put the timetable up for Belfast tax elective or PM me it?

@Debs23 - Hi Debs,

Not sure if you got sorted with the tax elective timetable - if not, drop me a line and ill email you the timetable - I'm one of the lucky ones getting to do it too!!!

Cheers

Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Is it just me or are the management accounting cases deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sarahmcm90

Hi all was wondering about doing chartered grind school in the summer. Which would you advise more on doing - Audit or finance & management! has anyone done any of these before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Abso Bloody Exactly

Long time lurker here.

Wanted to say that one of the 'good' examples in the annotated scripts they released is actually mine. And I failed core still (passed elective). So everyone, be aware that you need to perform consistently across the two exam days. Know a little about everything, not a lot about one thing.

Strangely, my feedback in the tutorial report was actually not as glowing for the same case study, must have been two different guys here; one who wrote the review for the annotated solutions; one who gave me my tutorial report. I agree with the tutorial report guy though, I don't think that was my best case study on the day.

I have moved to ACCA in any event, too high stakes to fail this a second time after a masters. Continue to do exams though of course, as we trainees have a glutton for punishment :pac: , appears more fair and independent anyway, good you can do it on a piecemeal basis so hope to get this out of the way soon!! Step by step!

Best of luck to everyone in AAFRP!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I'm only repeating the elective - I cant see where these solutions are - can someone pop them up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Same as 20 times, are they not making them available for the elective despite 400 people failing the audit elective alone? Seems a little strange.

Just want to say to people doing the AAFRP, try to familiarise yourself with the FAE marking scheme. Particularly the colour scheme, an RC in the AAFRP does not mean a yellow. To get a yellow in FR, i.e. to reach the minimum standard of competence, you would have to get a certain amount of C's. This will be determined by FAE board (possibly 2). Obviously if you got 3 C's or above then it would likely be Green. I'm saying this for a few reasons, one being that I know people who have passed and are telling people that an RC is a yellow, that's wrong. Don't listen to them. Secondly, people repeating the core but not repeating the AAFRP even though they got an RC - are you well? That is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. Sending a really bad vibe to the institute as well, fair enough if you do enough to get over the line comfortably but if you are borderline... good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Same as 20 times, are they not making them available for the elective despite 400 people failing the audit elective alone? Seems a little strange.

Just want to say to people doing the AAFRP, try to familiarise yourself with the FAE marking scheme. Particularly the colour scheme, an RC in the AAFRP does not mean a yellow. To get a yellow in FR, i.e. to reach the minimum standard of competence, you would have to get a certain amount of C's. This will be determined by FAE board (possibly 2). Obviously if you got 3 C's or above then it would likely be Green. I'm saying this for a few reasons, one being that I know people who have passed and are telling people that an RC is a yellow, that's wrong. Don't listen to them. Secondly, people repeating the core but not repeating the AAFRP even though they got an RC - are you well? That is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. Sending a really bad vibe to the institute as well, fair enough if you do enough to get over the line comfortably but if you are borderline... good luck!

Message me your email/work email I will forward it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 smiley00

Repeating the audit elective only this year...just wondering if anyone is going to any revision courses? Are they worthwhile?

I got this email yesterday:

"Dear Student

Full details including the Exam Instructions are available on the Student Portal "Noticeboard" for the FAE AAFRP assessment which is due to take place on Saturday 25th April from 10am to 11.50am.

Kind Regards
    Examinations Dept."

But I can't find the document that they're on about. When I go to the noticeboard on the student site there's just something about a M.Acc programme and CA diary. Could someone help me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

Does anyone know where i can get the 2011 AARFP paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Yoyo15

Could anybody post up the solution to the 2014 AAFRP exam? Please :-)

Yoyo15 wrote: »
    Could anybody post up the solution to the 2014 AAFRP exam? Please :-)

PM me your email address and ill send it onto you

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Kev1001

Are the new FRS standards examinable for the AAFRP?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭yourhero

Looking at some of the cases in the Derry Cotter book. On the health first case on P48. Two questions on the solution provided
    1 It refers to a DT liability on revaluation. Haven't seen that before. Should I be including this in determining goodwill?
    2 the NCI calc is based on cost of investment. Can someone else confirm that is wrong please?

This weather is gonna make for a long summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cagney87

Just looking at the question 3.12 in the toolkit. They use proportionate method of calculating goodwill but they say in the question that the NCI paid 1,000,000 for the share? If anyone can help will be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Kev1001 wrote: »
    Are the new FRS standards examinable for the AAFRP?

Just wondering about this myself. Anyone able to confirm?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

No they are not.

I email asked the institute and this was there response:
    "Local GAAP (FRS 100 – 102) is not assessable for AAFRP in the 2014/2015 cycle."

Advertisement