Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE 2016

• 22-07-2015 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43

Presupposing a bit as I'll likely be repeating CAP 2s but email out today, new exam regulations including a repeat sitting in the first week of January every year if you "marginally" fail (which sounds pretty open ended tbh, I guess they just want to close it off to first timers).

Also the first sitting is being moved forward by 2 weeks to mid August with a rest day now incorporated. One case study dropped from the final exams, basically becoming an interim assessment which will be one indicator. Key points;

- First lecture October 10th 2015
    - AAFRP - December 12th 2015
    - Interim Assesment - April 23rd 2016
    - FAE finals to be sat August 16th 2016
    - Repeats - January 2017
    - Students sitting the FAE education programme will be required to meet specified course completion criteria in order to be allowed to sit the FAE examination. This regulation makes attendance at 7 Integrated Case Study Workshops mandatory
    - Change to CAP2 re-sit study leave: The new regulations remove an entitlement to study leave for students sitting the re-sit CAP2 education programme
    - FAE distance programme is starting

Those sitting this year must be pretty annoyed, these are some nice changes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

ACA2015 wrote: »
    - Students sitting the FAE education programme will be required to meet specified course completion criteria in order to be allowed to sit the FAE examination. This regulation makes attendance at 7 Integrated Case Study Workshops mandatory

whats this in relations to? what criteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 ACA2015

To be further outlined in the competency statement when that comes out I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Any sighting of the pre chrstmas timetable? They said it would've been released by now but I see nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

So when is everybody starting the study? Dreading the thought of it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Whoisin thehouse

Are you doing any study for the AAFRP in December?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Hopefully. That's the plan anyway. Doesn't always work out like that though. What about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MiniB14

Hi All, just wondering if anyone has access to student centre yet with the messages, materials etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d.m.b1990

Anyone know where the lecture tomorrow is on?? Is the the RCSI on Stephens Green?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

MiniB14 wrote: »
    Hi All, just wondering if anyone has access to student centre yet with the messages, materials etc?

On the student homepage where you log in, there is a link to FAE timetables and notes. That's where I printed mine anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

d.m.b1990 wrote: »
    Anyone know where the lecture tomorrow is on?? Is the the RCSI on Stephens Green?

I presume you found it today? Decent informative session!

• Advertisement

collegeme wrote: »
    I presume you found it today? Decent informative session!

I did surely. Found it good. Heard very mixed reports on the lectures in general but I think I'll stick with them rather than regret it down the line. Handy for the bit of discipline too if you keep up with the required reading and that.

d.m.b1990 wrote: »
    I did surely. Found it good. Heard very mixed reports on the lectures in general but I think I'll stick with them rather than regret it down the line. Handy for the bit of discipline too if you keep up with the required reading and that.

Oh yes definitely worth attending. Today was actually great too I thought. I need to brush up on my tax skills but thought today was a great starting point.

collegeme wrote: »
    Oh yes definitely work attending. Today was actually great too I thought. I need to brush up on my tax skills but thought today was a great starting point.

When it finished I was thinking, "all I learned today was how little I know about
    Tax!!"

Definitely going to stick with them though. Still waiting on a CAP 2 result so no books yet. Don't think there's been any real changes to the exemptions gone through today so last years book will probs be okay for doing a bit of brushing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Klegs

Hello all,

I have read the FAE explained document this evening. Between that and the introductory lecture in rcsi last weekend they seem to be really driving home the formulation of peer groups.

I sat the cap2 course last year on the distance program but have decided to revert to the traditional delivery method this year. I am keen to either set up a peer group or join a peer group if possible. I am the only one at my firm sitting faes this year.

If anyone is interested in setting up a group with me or taking me into their group just send me a message on this and we'll sort something out. Ideally meet next week to get stuck into aafrp studies. Work based Dublin City centre living in Dublin City centre.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 connect1988

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had solutions to yesterdays AAFRP workshop questions? I unfortunately couldnt attend but have been attempting the questions today. Are they on the website at all?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭yourhero

Just offering my notes from this year. I threw out a lot but held onto my main folders. They're messy as anything but the structure might be useful for someone this year. Also have APM notes. I'm in Swords myself so probably suits someone living nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

yourhero wrote: »
    Just offering my notes from this year. I threw out a lot but held onto my main folders. They're messy as anything but the structure might be useful for someone this year. Also have APM notes. I'm in Swords myself so probably suits someone living nearby.

I'd be interested in these. I'm from Wexford but could be in Dublin on Saturday. I could arrange to collect ?

Is this the first year they've held the AAFRP in Swords for Dublin students? I'm hoping they're not getting any ideas for moving all the summer papers to there, hopefully it's just down to RDS availability with the change in the date of the exam...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hickey 91

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a good set of financial statements that they could share for the disclosure section in the AAFRP exam?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best of luck to everyone in the exam next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Squareball2010

It was recommended in the AAFRP workshop days to have a copy of a Plcs FS such as CRH or Kerry group for disclosures. What I'm using is the Deloitte illustrative financial statements though and I know a lot of ppl last year found it useful too! Can find it at this link http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/sg/Documents/audit/sg-aud-illustrative-financial-report-2014.pdf

- a few disclosures from the April 2015 paper were almost word for word from this (eg subsidiary/assets held for sale think it was).
    Hickey 91 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a good set of financial statements that they could share for the disclosure section in the AAFRP exam?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best of luck to everyone in the exam next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MillieMollie

Can anyone post a FAE Core Timetable (or pm) please!! Also the Tax Elective timetable.

The revision lecture was supposed to uploaded online but I can't find it at all. Had sick kiddies so couldn't attend

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

Besta luck tomorrow all!

Not the end of the world if it doesn't go well...heard a lot of people who did poorly and still went on to pass!

Thought it was a grand paper. I'd be disappointed to not get a C in it but sure we'll see. The CAP 2s being not so long ago was a big help for those not coming through on a year off after their Masters, rather than waiting until April.

I was cursing them for piling on the pressure early on in the year but it's nice to be fair to have something done and dusted before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

Does anyone have any idea of the results date?? Can't see any reference to it anywhere (aafrp exam)

Ahh - notice went up today, "Friday 19th February 2016" is results day....

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

I don’t think anyone can give out much about the paper itself either to be honest. I thought it was pretty tough time wise myself but probably a fair paper overall.

However the organisation surrounding the exam was a shambles. I was lucky enough to be in a car but we were waiting to get in through the entrance on Kettle Lane for ages and there were a load of people that seemed to have gotten the bus. The poor sods had to walk through floods and stand in the spills of rain. They were getting soaked. No idea how they managed to get down around to the other entrance as it was miles away to walk around. One guy I was sitting across from was really annoyed as he had his notes soaked from the rain. Not really fair for those students to be honest as the venue was actually in the middle of nowhere and was pretty inaccessible if you didn’t have a car or a lift. Id imagine the institute will have a few questions to answer on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

CAI finally coughed up and explained how the lighting system works with clear examples of pass/fails. See here, eg FR CCC RC NA = yellow, CC RcRc NA=red. This is esp important when you sit core comp paper, if you missed 1 FR indicator in day 1 you better focus on nailing the remaining ind in the core sims. Read this document!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

shuyin1 wrote: »
    CAI finally coughed up and explained how the lighting system works with clear examples of pass/fails. See here, eg FR CCC RC NA = yellow, CC RcRc NA=red. This is esp important when you sit core comp paper, if you missed 1 FR indicator in day 1 you better focus on nailing the remaining ind in the core sims. Read this document!

Still can't understand why people are still obsessed with the 'lighting system' - it means nothing.
    Just read pages 1-9 of the above and forget about the rest!

All you need is the required amount of C's / RC's in specific subjects and the required amount of points!

Green / Yellow / Red means nothing!!

• Advertisement

Still can't understand why people are still obsessed with the 'lighting system' - it means nothing.

All you need is the required amount of C's / RC's in specific subjects and the required amount of points!

It's not an obsession, it's the marking system and the key is not the colours but the underlying C's and RC's. It's silly to imply it means nothing, it's the difference of a pass and a fail.
    In a perfect world everyone get's c's in fr,bl and rc's in the rest but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.
    Look at the difference for a pass or fail for FR, it's one rc to c. The colours is besides the point, it's a visual rep of pass,marginal pass,fail.

It's not an obsession, it's the marking system and the key is not the colours but the underlying C's and RC's. It's silly to imply it means nothing, it's the difference of a pass and a fail.
    In a perfect world everyone get's c's in fr,bl and rc's in the rest but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.
    Look at the difference for a pass or fail for FR, it's one rc to c. The colours is besides the point, it's a visual rep of pass,marginal pass,fail.

What's the difference between pass and marginal pass?

What's the difference between pass and marginal pass?
    I suggest you read the document, it's explained really well.
    Green is a clear cut pass, yellow is a marginal pass, difference is you can fail with a marginal pass due to sufficiency. See breakdown for c,rcs etc for a yellow (marginal pass).

I suggest you read the document, it's explained really well.
    Green is a clear cut pass, yellow is a marginal pass, difference is you can fail with a marginal pass due to sufficiency. See breakdown for c,rcs etc for a yellow (marginal pass).

Its people like you who confuse people every year, and why this conversation comes up every year.

Its Pass or Fail - simple as.

Get 50% of possible points - Pass Sufficiency

Get C in half of the indicators in BL & Fr and RC in half of the rest - Pass Breadth and Depth.

Simple as.

Marginal pass means nothing - you wouldn't see that wrote on your results in November

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MillieMollie

It's the only feedback you get and it's incredibly confusing. Especially when they messed it up this year. I failed the elective and passed core (6G). I then had to explain to everyone that although they messed up the results I got in the post, my result still stood and I would be repeating.

Its people like you who confuse people every year, and why this conversation comes up every year.

Its Pass or Fail - simple as.

Get 50% of possible points - Pass Sufficiency

Get C in half of the indicators in BL & Fr and RC in half of the rest - Pass Breadth and Depth.

Simple as.

Marginal pass means nothing - you wouldn't see that wrote on your results in November

I can explain to you in more detail if you like, would you like it in the form of a memo, email or letter? /s
    The scenarios given by chartered, not me, demonstrate the minor difference between a pass or fail (yellow vs red). Knowing what constitutes a yellow will let the person focus on this and get over the line. It's fine to say its easy get majority of c's (not half) in bl/fr and rc's in the rest but many people pass with a lot less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 FAE dear lord

I failed first time with 6 yellows and sufficiency 1.
    Best advice is to aim for C in every indicator.
    I made the mistake of thinking i only needed RC in Audit, Tax etc to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Does anyone have a timetable for the revision course?

And does anyone know when the application form for repeat is due to be posted? It's to be in by 1 Feb but I can't see it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

Just read through the CASSI report regarding the AAFRP exam. Seems about right. Glad they put a good amount of emphasis on the terrible venue in swords which was a disaster. Interesting to see what the other discussion forum regarding the venue is about and what will be the fallout from it.

I'm not allowed post URL links on here as I'm still considered a new member I think but the report can be found under the Education section and FAE sub section of the CASSI website.

Maybe someone else can post the link

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

I am registered for lectures in Dublin but I will be back in Galway for work reasons for a few weeks. I was wondering could someone who attends Galway for core lectures and tax elective lectures please PM me the two timetables (or just core one if doing a different elective). I searched the website but can only see the core and elective Dublin timetables for Groups I was assigned to. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Horse Box 20

Hi

What do we need to bring to the integrated workshops?

We are hardly expected to bring all of our notes? as there is alot of them,

As it is a mandatory lecture, what happens if you miss one?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Yoyo15

Hi - would anybody mind posting the timetable for Dublin tax elective revision days?

Thank u!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Glas134

Hi can anyone let me know the tax elective day for this weekend in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Horse Box 20

Glas134 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone let me know the tax elective day for this weekend in Dublin?

Yeah its saturday ....in ACA i think 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Glas134

Yeah its saturday ....in ACA i think 😢

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dante2

Hi all, I'm waiting on my registration for the FAE revision course. Could anybody send me the slides for tomorrows tax elective lecture?Thanks in advance!

Anyone else having trouble getting into the student portal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 acurry89

Has anyone got a copy of the FAE APM Elective Dublin Timetable 2016?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JoanH

Hi all,
    I'm a repeater (again) and I haven't signed up to any revision courses. I'm looking to get a copy of the 2015 mock exam papers and Malvern Pipe case study. If anybody can help me out with this it would be fab and I'd be most appreciative.
    The mock papers should be on the student portal but for some reason I can't see them.
    Cheers everybody.

Is anyones aafrp results up yet?? It's very unusual for the results not to be up early :/

Ah and just like that it's up, they must pay close attention to boards ;) looking forward to read report :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement