Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A woman that can cook

Options
  • 06-10-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

First off I do not want to come of in any way chauvenistic, but how important or indeed attractive to you is a woman's ability to cook?

I can cook reasonably well and indeed quite enjoy it, but my oh is simply a remarkable cook and loves to do it and it is a treat to be able to eat well regularly. Last summer when I was back for a few weeks I was talking to a friend of mine who basically lives on take aways with his missus because neither can cook. In fairness to him as he has piled on the weight he is starting to buy cook books and he will do cookery classes this xmas, but his oh has no interest and he is somewhat frustrated as a result. It made me cast my mind back to my previous long term relationship and realised that my ex's inability to cook, and complete disinterest in learning was actually a turn off in retrospect.

Now I feel that if I were ever in a situation of dating again in the future, I would like to know if a potential life partner can cook or not. Is this strange or is it a bit of a turn on for others knowing their partner is a good cook?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

It's definitely something I'd find appealing, but I'd never expect it of someone right out.

I once managed to set spaghetti on fire while trying to make myself spaghetti bolognese. It would be pretty feckin hypocritical of me to expect them to be able to cook straight away, but it is a trait I'd look for I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think it's more a general self sufficiency thing that's attractive rather than specifically cooking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd much rather someone that could cook over someone that just lives off take aways / ready made meals as it'd show that someone has responsiblity for themselves to me. Being able to go out to the shops, planning what is needed for whats going to be cooked, budgeting for it and such.

Won't have to be Rachel Allen or anything, I'd be happy with Beans, Mashed Spuds and Fish Fingers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I dont know if it would be a turn off if she couldnt, but its definatly a plus if she can.

*munches on a warm apple tart* :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Not important at all because I can cook and enjoy doing it so its a non issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I expect both men and women to be able to cook (and clean and wash their own clothes etc!). I'm not talking about anything fancy, just enough that they're able to go the entire week without needing a take away or pre-made meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its not important to me as i do all the cooking(am a home carer)

however i love nothing better than my wife sometimes phoning up and saying "I will go the chipper on the way home tonight" or "i will pick a salad up on the way home"

I suppose what i am saying is its not important she cooks but that sometimes she saves me cooking.

I imagine women would say the same of men....

Now for baking... thats a different story...She bakes a lovely lemon drizzal cake which i never want to copy and can never refuse. Its just pure yuum and it makes my day when she does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think it's more a general self sufficiency thing that's attractive rather than specifically cooking

Something along these lines!

I do all the cooking in my house. I like it that way. But it's not like my boyfriend lives on take-away when I'm not there. He would just live on plain, easy to cook food with very little variation or novelty.

I don't need or expect a partner to be interested in cooking, but I would find it a complete turn-off if they thought eating chips and pizza and chinese take-away and coke every day was a normal diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Malari wrote: »
    I don't need or expect a partner to be interested in cooking, but I would find it a complete turn-off if they thought eating chips and pizza and chinese take-away and coke every day was a normal diet.
    I'd agree with this. Somebody having an unhealthy lifestyle would be a turn-off in general for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

if you can read, you can cook/bake. it may take a bit of fine tuning, but it's not difficult at all. most people who refuse to do it are probably put off by the preparation and cleaning up after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

You don't even need to be able to read! All you need is youtube and you're all set for everything from chopping vegetables to good jokes to impress the ambassador when he's over for dinner.

if you can read, you can cook/bake. it may take a bit of fine tuning, but it's not difficult at all. most people who refuse to do it are probably put off by the preparation and cleaning up after.

This is true. There are so many cookbooks that cater for the novice cook. Loads of people say I can cook well but in reality all I'm doing is following the instructions exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I suppose it would be a perk so to speak.

I can cook quite well, I'm not the most comfortable cook ever, but I can do most meals quite easily.

I'd definitely see it as an advantage compared to someone who'd just want to eat take-aways and junk food all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

It'd be important enough for me, to have someone that doesn't rely on me to cook, he'd starve!
    I'd much rather someone that could cook over someone that just lives off take aways / ready made meals as it'd show that someone has responsiblity for themselves to me. Being able to go out to the shops, planning what is needed for whats going to be cooked, budgeting for it and such.

not me.... with me forgetting my chicken :(:o

that's what puts me off - the preparation. i get very tired very easily so I have to be prepared to work at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not every woman can cook. Some don't have a clue or the silghtly ability no matter what even with practice! Some woman are meant to be good cooks other's aren't but then again even the most dire cook should be able to at least cook the basics no matter how good or bad she is!

I for one isn't a bad cook but I am not great at it. I am unlikely to be slaving away over a hot stove but I can at least cook the basics and still turn out to be fairly good. I wouldn't cook food that would likely turn out rotten or be tasteless. I like a bit of oomph and taste and flavour nothing too bland.
    For me less preparation but good food and nutritious at that you can be amazed what you can make from little amount of food and less preparation and not have to prepare much or for that long and not cook for ages either.

Less time more convenient way of cooking not necessary take-a-ways/convenience food ok now and again but still you can cook things that are healthy that can be cooked in a short space of time and not have much preparation to do. Once its cook to the tee of a recipe noting could go wrong eh? Once its done and cooked and tastes fine then a fella should be able to put up with it even if sometimes the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach not necessary true!

I am the same as stupidusername, I would get tired easy or might burn or forget I am cooking it! So for that reason the quicker and faster the better to cook it the better! Not one for the kitchen mind. Not somewhere I hang out much though I do contribute and do my own cooking sometimes. Kitchen and me do not mix. Prefer the sitting room/bedroom ha ha ha!

Women aren't meant to be slaving away just to feed a fella, he should be able to cook too. Equality and all that only fair and to share the cooking! Less is more but sharing is even better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

As somebody else said, I wouldn't find it a turn off if they couldn't cook but it's a plus if they can. My OH is a good cook and he enjoys cooking and I like it. I'm not a great cook (I'm OK) but I think that's more down to lack of practice. We have a divide and conquer policy when it comes to household chores and he does most of the cooking. I probably only cook about 1-2 a week so I'm not too accomplished tbh. As a result I can get a bit stressed out - particularly when the OH comes over to help! :p I think as long as somebody is willing to learn, I'd be happy - cooking together is fun imo

I'd willingly trade doing all the cooking in return for somebody that was willing to clean, hoover, wash and iron clothes :D

Anyway, one big effort on one or two days can provide enough dinners for a week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

bluewolf wrote: »

+1 on this.. an ex of mine couldnt boil and egg and used to "forget" to eat sometimes.. I mean I saw pigeons eat more than she did on regular occasions and it was a major turn off for me. The fact that she would sit there claim to be hungry but made no attempt to try and feed herself was a fairly idiotic thing to do.

I love to try and cook new things, experiment in the kitchen (cooking I mean before anyone lets their mind go into over drive :D;) ) whether it be something that will only ever be a once off or looking for quick simple tasty meals that I can throw together in a matter of minutes if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Cooking is simple other than the really fancy stuff. Cook stuff til it's done, it's usually easy enough to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I think it's becoming more and more possible to avoid cooking yet stay healthy through ready-made stuff. Most supermarkets now do healthy eating ranges and pride themselves on the fact that they can sell you a "balanced" meal in a little box. You can also get your salad, fruit salad and yoghurt and granola etc. all prepped and ready to go. Of course it will cost way more than doing it yourself, but if someone is adamant they won't cook, or really doesn't have time one night, it's a good way of avoiding take-away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I love cooking myself so I don't really care if my partner can cook or not.
    I taught my partner how to cook and bake, he put on about 2 stones as a result. A true success story for sure:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'm not a fantastic cook but I can knock together a dinner pretty easily :)
    Its nice when a guy can cook a meal for me, but to be honest, I don't think I'd find it appealing if he couldn't at least feed himself..

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

I love cooking with my other half. Note the with:p

Its so much fun when you get it right together, a cheap means of entertaining each other and if it gets fecked up its nobodys fault.

Takes the hassle out of the chore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I enjoy cooking, esp for others and like experimenting. Missus hippy is the more expert in technique and presentation, mind. Not only does she do her Japanese dishes but also does Thai, Korean, Chinese and other dishes from the East.

It's just the washing up I abhor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Cooking ability is attractive, but only because I can't help admiring anybody who can do anything really well, be it making a mean bolognese or playing the cello to genius level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

It's not exactly that. I'm a single man but I share a house with other people, and we all work at different times so we usually eat at different times.

I'd bake a lot more intricately than cook, because if I'm baking then what I make will eventually be eaten by myself and my housemates, and it justifies the effort, so to speak. I'd also bake on the weekends when I can take the time to make something special.

If I'm cooking then I'm usually only cooking for myself and I can't really justify the effort into making fancy, exquisite dinners. Especially when I'm just home from work and want something to fill me up, quick.

I'd put in the extra effort in essentially anything if I'm trying to impress another person; for just myself I know I'll be happy. In general. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I love cooking with my other half. Note the with:p

Its so much fun when you get it right together, a cheap means of entertaining each other and if it gets fecked up its nobodys fault.

Takes the hassle out of the chore.

See, it makes me feel very uneasy when I think of cooking with my boyfriend. I'm a control freak in the kitchen. And I run around like a tasmanian devil, washing up as I go, so it's the best of both worlds for him, ha!

To be honest, if I was given the choice of no cooking, hoovering and ironing for the rest of my life, or having to do all 3 chores I'd definitely pick the latter. I'd hate not being able to cook. :o

If I'm cooking then I'm usually only cooking for myself and I can't really justify the effort into making fancy, exquisite dinners. Especially when I'm just home from work and want something to fill me up, quick.
    The poster did not actually say you had to make fancy, exquisite dinners. It was about being able to feed yourself without resorting to ready-meals or take-away. Anybody should be able to so by getting a cookbook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Not being able to cook wouldnt really bother me, it's the thought of someone living on 'junk' food that would put me off.

In an ideal world, i'd do the cooking and the woman would do the ironing as I completely suck at it :(

Advertisement