Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoking a pipe

• 12-04-2011 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

A mate has started smoking a pipe! I swear.
    He invited me to his home and in his study, he stuck this pipe in his mouth and filled it with tobacco. He then lit the pipe an started puffing away.
    I started laughing. Wondering when the joke would stop. He looked at me disapprovingly over his glasses and continued with his conversation.

He was dead serious. I told him he was 38 going on 88!!
    He got thick and pointed out he never slags me. But I mean a pipe at his age.
    Next he will turn into the guy in George & Mildred. Cardi and slippers.
    I am still chuckling to myself. A pipe. At his age!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Problem?

Maybe you could do with being less judgmental. If this is the sort of thing that has you running to a message board to cry about then you need to sort your priorities out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Nothing nicer than the smell someone smoking a pipe. It evokes so many happy childhood memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

38 is pretty old. Plenty old enough to start smoking a pipe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Nothing nicer than the smell someone smoking a pipe. It evokes so many happy childhood memories.

I love the sound of someone smoking a pipe. Very relaxing. Reminds me of my granddad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

I love the sound of someone smoking a pipe. Very relaxing. Reminds me of my granddad.

And he's not even a father yet. He's a Grandad all right at 38.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

kevin99 wrote: »
    I told him he was 38 going on 88!!

I'm 26... the only reason I don't smoke a pipe is because I'm living in rented accomodation in a group of apartments that has a no smoking policy.

Standing on the balcony smoking the odd cigar is fine... couldn't be doing that with a pipe though...

One would need to be relaxing in one's study sipping on a scotch / brandy / whiskey, while smoking a pipe.

that... or out herding sheep...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What He does in the privacy of his own home doesn't hurt you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

A mate has started smoking a pipe! I swear.
    He invited me to his home and in his study...
    His study?!? Does he live at 221B Baker Street by any chance?

Did he don a smoking jacket and proffer a round of Baccarat?...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually the biggest thing I miss from giving up tobacco is smoking a pipe. Loved the relaxation and taste since I was 19. Plus pipe smokers live longer than non smokers on average(you don't see that on the warnings). IN any case how old are you OP? George and Mildred? Unless ya got Bravo and have some weird viewing fetish you're pretty middle aged yourself. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually the biggest thing I miss from giving up tobacco is smoking a pipe. Loved the relaxation and taste since I was 19.
    Plus the joy of poking the stem of the pipe at someone while you opine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Plus the joy of poking the stem of the pipe at someone while you opine.

My sister does this with cigarettes. Not as cool as a pipe obviously, but I love when she's had a drink or two and is in full flight ranting about something, making points with her ciggie, jabbing the air with it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

As discussed on a previous thread, my self and 5 of the lads smoke a casual pipe when we get together. Started off when one of the lads bought a cheapo one for sh!ts and giggles, I gave it a shot enjoyed it and as I've always like the look and smell of a pipe, got one myself.

And so on..till there was a few of us puffing away and discussing the merits of different tobaccos. At very most once a month few lads smoking away and shooting the sh!t.

Brogues and waistcoats were once considered to be only found in old mens wardrobes. Times and fashions change, history repeats etc.

At worst its a novel salute to times past when men were men!It was good enough for Tom Crean! This being the Gentlemans Club I was expecting the other posters to be wearing top hats and smoking pipes whilst guffawing at modern life.

Don't see a problem. Sure most people start smoking cigarettes at 13 these days. Which in my opinion are far worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Since when do have to be over a certan age to smoke a pipe?*
    New 'Life' Rules:
    You can only smoke ciggies from 16 to 39, cigars from 40 to 60 and then the pipe till the end.
    You can only drink larger till you are 39, then stout for a decade, whisky for another decade and when you are past 60 you can only sip sherry.
    You can only wear jeans if you are under 35.
    You can only wear a blazer as a schoolboy or when you retire.
    You can't own an XBox is you are over 40.
    You have to give up your tastes for indi music on your 29th birthday.

/jabs with pipe stem for empahsis
    So your friend dosen't conform to your ideal. Thankfully. I mean how ****ing dull would the would be if no-one dared to ignore the opinions of the masses and go their way through life.

*Once you are past the age of 16.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

I'd love the smell of pipe smoke. Pipes rock! Reminds me of my younger days when my grandfather used to smoke one with condor plug tobacco i used to get him a block of it for birthdays and christmas. Now i never know what to buy him! lay off your friend op he sounds like a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Still a filthy habit though. Just cause its in a pipe rather than combustible paper doesn't make it any less so.

That said, it is the most noble way of smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have a pipe for when I run out of rollies.

Also for those weekends when the moon is high, the skies are clear, the air is warm, the wind cool and not a beast is stirring. Then is a good time to drink slowly, and smoke the pipe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Pipe smoking is a form of art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Pipe smoking would be a total turn off for me. I don't think many women would like the idea of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Velvan plug

Meerschaum

Heavenly

1970 - 1995

Holiday cigar nowadays only

mood wrote: »
    Pipe smoking would be a total turn off for me. I don't think many women would like the idea of it.
    I've found quite the opposite. People, men and women, constantly come over to me and pass comment on how nice the smell is and how evocative it is of times past. If I'd realised it was such an attention getter I'd have started on it when I was 20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

I too love the smell of tobacco emanating from a pipe.
    Filling the cylinder with tobacco, packing it down, then hooding the top while lighting the pipe, sucking the first few puffs to get the 'tobacco' lighting.
    Blowing the smoke in the air, sitting back, relaxing and taking more puffs, as one ponders life's ills, sipping a neat whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

OldGoat wrote: »
    I've found quite the opposite. People, men and women, constantly come over to me and pass comment on how nice the smell is and how evocative it is of times past. If I'd realised it was such an attention getter I'd have started on it when I was 20.
    That's actually what puts me off people who would take up pipe smoking. It does seem to be a little bit of a desperate grab for attention.

Doing something because you think it makes you look classy is also a little contrived, kind of like wearing a clash t-shirt because you think it gives you an edge. I don't like how so many people almost treat their personality as a brand.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    That's actually what puts me off people who would take up pipe smoking. It does seem to be a little bit of a desperate grab for attention.
    All of the pipe smokers I've met (and thats quite a few) smoke for the pleasure of the pipe. The attention it receives is an added bonus rather the then reason for using one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I too love the smell of pipe smoke, but I love the smell of pipe tobacco even more.

Btw, do you inhale when smoking the pipe?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Art is a form of pipe smoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

SugarHigh wrote: »

Doing something because you think it makes you look classy is also a little contrived, kind of like wearing a clash t-shirt because you think it gives you an edge. I don't like how so many people almost treat their personality as a brand.

I really can't understand this view point...people dress according to their taste. They also smoke to their taste. Assuming that it is contrived to do what you enjoy does that mean I am contrived as I wear what I like and feel comfortable in or when I knock back a few pints of stout?

Your personality is your brand. Some peoples personality is to be homogenus and bland. Fair enough. Others are loud mouth extraverts. My personality does not have any direct correlation to occasionally smoking a pipe.

What does it mean when someone starts smoking 20 majors at the age of 13? How is that not viewed negatively in terms of character? There is certainly a lot more flavour, social interaction (blends, mixes etc) and enjoyment (not a smoke myself so correct me if I'm wrong).

*Puts on a clash T-Shirt*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

a pal of mine smokes a pipe. he's in his early 40's and i say fair play to him.
    and i love the smell of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I too love the smell of tobacco emanating from a pipe.
    Filling the cylinder with tobacco, packing it down, then hooding the top while lighting the pipe, sucking the first few puffs to get the 'tobacco' lighting.
    Blowing the smoke in the air, sitting back, relaxing and taking more puffs, as one ponders life's ills, sipping a neat whiskey.

Kevin99, can I ask, are you in fact 12? I ask because after starting a thread laughing at your granddad of a friend, who has taken up pipe smoking, you get a page and a half of people saying how nice it is, that you are now saying how nice it is too?

Either that or your the worst troll ever.

It must be the rarest kind of smoking nowadays (post Peig, that is). I wonder why.
    I always found it hard on the teeth, but I think that's how pipe smoking promotes an air of tranquility - you just can't play rugby with a pipe in your mouth now, can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Tabnabs wrote: »

This!

Reminds me of my granduncle always soo chilled out in his house. Just him and the dog at his feet and him smoking away at the pipe, relaxing. Aww I miss him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

pipe smoking is a great way to spend a relaxed sunday afternoon,, im 30 and took up the hoby a couple of years ago while living abroad,, i heard roumers there may be pipe smoker group meetings taking place in Dublin just like alot of UK and American cities,, any truth to this roumer?

Advertisement