Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat fishing from bullock harbour

Options
  • 11-06-2008 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if monica smyth's boats for hire are operating out of bullock harbour and if so does anyone know what the fishing is like out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Monica is a gem (once you get to know her!)

I like to go from there over towards the lighthouse lsland near Dalkey Island – between the islands you will get Cod – but loose tackle - all stoney there.
    Beyone the lighthouse island (towards bray is deep, sandy and rubbish)
    close to the Lighthouse island all sides and esp the bit pointing North (back to bullock) is great for big Pollock – on mini baits or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Both them "crowds" are open and there's great fishing, We got big Pollack and Mackerel. Get there early on the weekends there will definateley be a wait. Do not fish off the rocks in Bulloch to Kill time though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

How much is it to rent a boat for a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

they hire the boat out per hour whether you've a minimum of 2 people or 6 ( if it'll that many). it's around the €15-20 per hour i think. i know monica charges more if your not fishing (basically sight seeing) as you'd be using more juice to get around. i'm sure one of the posters here will be able to give an exact figure.
    so for example if the boat costs €20 and 3 of you go out for 3 hours that works out at only €20 each for 3 hours fishing.
    same example using 6 fishing this would be €10 per head.
    i'd be interested myself to find out how much she charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Would be looking to book for the entire day 7-8 hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

keen wrote: »
    How much is it to rent a boat for a day?

just got of the phone to monica and the rates are as follows:
    €20 per hour fishing
    and
    €30 per hour sightseeing.
    i also googled bullock harbour and found the following for those wishing to do some sea fishing around the dublin area.
    http://www.fishingireland.net/fishing/sea/dublin/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Roboloco

Im goin out tomorrow for a few hours from Bullock harbour (weather permitting ), does anyone know what I should bring . Im planning to get Rag and I have some coloured feathers . Is there any other type of bait I could use .

Any tips or advice welcome .....Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Anyone going out this weekend mackie fishing. Would share costs.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

40 quid an hour?
    Who was that with? Was it just for sightseeing?
    Normally its 20 quid an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

Normally 20eur for fishing, but 40eur just for a spin (3 adults, 2 small kids). They said it's because boat using more juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Just stumbled across this thread. Is it possible or wise for a total noob who has never taken control of a boat to hire one for a few hours? Was thinking of bringing the young fella out for an hour or 2 of mackerel bashing. Would they even hire the boat to such a person?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

veetwin wrote: »
    Just stumbled across this thread. Is it possible or wise for a total noob who has never taken control of a boat to hire one for a few hours? Was thinking of bringing the young fella out for an hour or 2 of mackerel bashing. Would they even hire the boat to such a person?

possible possibly not, wise definitely not. there are however mackerel trips you can go on through charter angling boats. theyd take you out in the evening for a couple of hours and the small fella could fill a bucket with mackerel. cheapish too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tom75 wrote: »
    Look at me :-)
    I was a virgin with boat.
    After 1 min instruction, it was no problem.
    Much easier than a car.

Are these boats fitted with a CB radio,incase of an emergency or a mayday/coastguard call being urgently needed????

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

No, no CB on a board, just paddle and safety vests. I know (as a diver and cox'n) that is a bit risky.

Tom75 wrote: »
    No, no CB on a board, just paddle and safety vests. I know (as a diver and cox'n) that is a bit risky.

I WOULD NOT not even consider taking myself and my kids out sea fishing in any boat if it didnt have a communication system on board.

It's not wise to do it mate.
    I wouldn't even go on a lake without experience. Open sea is well past your experience and shouldn't be attempted without knowing what your doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

SeaFields wrote: »
    possible possibly not, wise definitely not. there are however mackerel trips you can go on through charter angling boats. theyd take you out in the evening for a couple of hours and the small fella could fill a bucket with mackerel. cheapish too.

Hi , could you tell me where there are any charter mackerel boats around the Dublin area ? I have a young lad who would like to catch a few mackerel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

robinwing wrote: »
    Hi , could you tell me where there are any charter mackerel boats around the Dublin area ? I have a young lad who would like to catch a few mackerel

Hi. I'm based in the south. I'm sure someone will be along to tell you here. Otherwise try googling angling charter out of Dublin and see if any do evening mackerel trips. A nephew of mine was out on one with his uncle last weekend. He's 5 and even got to drive to the boat for awhile. Was absolutely delighted.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Hi. I'm based in the south. I'm sure someone will be along to tell you here. Otherwise try googling angling charter out of Dublin and see if any do evening mackerel trips. A nephew of mine was out on one with his uncle last weekend. He's 5 and even got to drive to the boat for awhile. Was absolutely delighted.

Theres an angling charter boat that goes out on trips from Howth Harbour and theres also a chap who does charter trips from Malahide Marina too.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Can you move your arm right to left ? Then you can steer / rent the boat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

paddy147 wrote: »
    I WOULD NOT not even consider taking myself and my kids out sea fishing in any boat if it didnt have a communication system on board.
    Not that it would make bringing kids out to sea safe - but your mobile would probably work all the way to Wales!

ubs69 wrote: »
    Can you move your arm right to left ? Then you can steer / rent the boat

Suppose that means he can judge a bad wave?
    Or know best place to take shelter should it get rough?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

It's only bullock harbour not the North Sea ,you won't be allowed out if its rough or bad weather ,your timed out and watched from shore ,you have. Mobile phone , life jacket ,common sense ,insurance ,

I've been out plenty of times when the weather turned rough on a gorgeous day and I turned back as it got fairly rough out.
    Between the island and mainland can get quite choppy real quick if you don't keep an eye on it. That's usually best fishing spot aswell. Plenty of macks when they are in and good spot for some pollock and doggies if you just want to relax and hook into the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

paddy147 wrote: »
    Are these boats fitted with a CB radio,incase of an emergency or a mayday/coastguard call being urgently needed????

Its a VHF radio you need not a Citizens Band radio (CB).

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

OP they'll allow you go out if you have no experience, would I recommend it.....probably not. They do go over all the basics with you and keep an eye on everybody out, there are also another 30 odd boats out on a good day.

If you do decide to go out make sure your phone is fully charged in a water tight aquapack, take the boat owners mobile (they'll get to you sooner than the coast guard will) wear the life jackets properly and keep a close eye on the weather in all directions. If the wind picks up then might be worth making your way back in.

Its a VHF radio you need not a Citizens Band radio (CB).

Well if a boat aint got it,then I aint going out in it.

Dont care whether its Bullock Harbour or out in Dublin Bay or anywhere around the country and its seas......if it aint got a radio and a way of communicating with coastguard and/or other vessels,then I aint getting on it or in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

croo wrote: »
    Not that it would make bringing kids out to sea safe - but your mobile would probably work all the way to Wales!

Would your mobile work after being submerged in sea water? Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

willah wrote: »
    Would your mobile work after being submerged in sea water? Doubt it.

Obviously VHF radio works fine when submerged so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

veetwin wrote: »
    Obviously VHF radio works fine when submerged so?

Is a built in VHF radio going to fall overboard?

Advertisement