Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Letterkenny

Options
  • 27-08-2014 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a house in Letterkenny, in particular the Mountain Top area but doesn't have to be. I am wondering is it possible to obtain information anywhere about when certain housing estates were built and what developer built it?

I had my eye on a house but am just a bit concerned after coming across articles regarding crumbling blocks. Sorry can't link the article as I am a new user.

I have noticed certain houses in some estates that do have some cracks, some worse than others and I am a bit wary, particularly of houses built during the boom.

Just wondered if anyone had any info they could share or advise? You can PM if you want.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

On the phone and cannot link but the planning section of the council website would be a start. You will be able to find the applicant and the year it was submitted/granted.
    The actual builder may not be the same though and it could be a few years when works commence.

Post 04 you will also get planning drawings but it wont tell you much else. Just get a professional to do a building survey

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MichaelDM

Thanks. Yeah I had a look at the council page but it is difficult to find the houses as the estate's weren't named prior to being built I presume. I can't seem to find plans either, just planning permission for x amount of houses in such an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

as i said, they only began to put drawings online for applications in 2004. the 'view related documents' tab will have all the info if it is scanned.
    the 'planning map search' in this link may help as you can zoom in by area. For any applications before 04 you will only get the applicant, 'agent' (anything from engineer/architect/to woodwork teacher etc) There is also no guarantee they were involved after planning.

That is as detailed as you can get for now. The new building control will soon have a similar system, showing all the specs & details of a house, who built it, who certified it and so on but i cant imagine it will be publicly available anytime soon.

as i said, building survey is your best bet for peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MichaelDM

Thanks. I managed to track down some plans alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Thorndale, best built houses in letterkenny! Built in the 1980s by Sam Russell, who was a stickler for quality apparently. Very quiet estate too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement