Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Fitness test

Options
  • 20-05-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Posted on another thread but got over looked.

Did everyone see that for the fitness test the initial velocity is 8.5 km per/hr (that's fine) but the speed increases 1 km per/hr every minute. I tried this last night and after 800 metres you will be running a velocity of 12km per/hr. Its a bit unsustainable.

Would i be right in thinking that they put down the wrong increase amount. most bleep tests are an increase of .5 km per/hr. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

I know its a sharp increase for sure

actually, on the induction lecture at stage 3 we were told there was to be no beep test at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 whysosirius

Shifty13 wrote: »

Did everyone see that for the fitness test the initial velocity is 8.5 km per/hr (that's fine) but the speed increases 1 km per/hr every minute. I tried this last night and after 800 metres you will be running a velocity of 12km per/hr. Its a bit unsustainable.

Would i be right in thinking that they put down the wrong increase amount. most bleep tests are an increase of .5 km per/hr. Any ideas?

Go to www. thebeeptest. com and that explains the speed and you can download the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Go to www. thebeeptest. com and that explains the speed and you can download the test.

Yes that says increase of .5 km per/hr.

Im saying on the Garda website it says increase of 1 km per/hr.

HUGE difference!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

WilcoOut wrote: »
    I know its a sharp increase for sure

actually, on the induction lecture at stage 3 we were told there was to be no beep test at all!!

What's this about the bleep test being done away with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

35 sit ups in a minute! I can see this causing problems

• Advertisement

35 sit ups in a minute! I can see this causing problems

No offence but if a male under 26 can't do 35 sit ups in a minute, they don't deserve the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hopeful8

Shifty13 wrote: »

Unsustainable? It's hardly backbreaking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hopeful8

No offence but if a male under 26 can't do 35 sit ups in a minute, they don't deserve the job.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ecsquared

Not sure if this applies to the AGS fitness test but would suggest that people be very careful about the form, I was in the US military for a few years and I remember when practicing for the fitness test thinking I was ok for push ups and situps. Got some shock when doing the test, tester down beside me counting, "1, 2, 2, your backs not straight, 3, 4, " many people failed due to form, they were doing pushups (and extending the energy and strength to do them) but didn't always have perfect form and didn't reach the standard. People generally don't have a problem with situps, but be careful with your push up form.

What's this about the bleep test being done away with?

It was said at stage 3 with the HR people

they said bleep test wasnt happening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

And if your closer to 36!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

It was said at stage 3 with the HR people

they said bleep test wasnt happening

Are you sure they just didn't make a mistake?

Rothmans wrote: »
    Are you sure they just didn't make a mistake?

Somebody mentioned it was on the garda website and still they were sure it wasnt happening!

I was as surprised as anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No offence but if a male under 26 can't do 35 sit ups in a minute, they don't deserve the job really need to take a long hard look at how they're living.

Slight alteration...

And if your closer to 36!

Well then you only have to do 32. 35 is the amount for under 26's which is why I presumed you were.

Any man between the age of 18 and 35 who cant do between 32 and 35 situps does not deserve the job and will not get the job

hence the reason they have a minimum standard

duh

This might be a can of worms but I think it's completely unacceptable to have different standards based on age and sex in this day and age. Everyone's going for the same job. There should be one standard, whatever that is, and you should be able to make it or look for a different career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

This might be a can of worms but I think it's completely unacceptable to have different standards based on age and sex in this day and age. Everyone's going for the same job. There should be one standard, whatever that is, and you should be able to make it or look for a different career.

I would agree. I also think there should be a fitness test every 12/24 months for serving members of AGS. You'd wonder how some would be expected to chase after a suspect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

AFAIK there is only one standard, and its based on average Vo2max. So for example, someone who is 35 would only achieve 90% of what someone who is 18 would achieve, based on the same Vo2max. Hence why the different expected number of sit-ups and push-ups. That's the way the army fitness test is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Regarding press ups, is it 25 all in one sitting or can you set yourself again and go from where you left off

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 D Weasel

Carroller wrote: »
    Regarding press ups, is it 25 all in one sitting or can you set yourself again and go from where you left off

Yeah. You can do them 1 at a time if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Does anyone else have any more word on the bleep test whether its cancelled or still on??

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

I attempted the bleep test today........ Not good I really underestimated it. Starting off at 8.5km an hour it increases so quickly. Im relatively fit and could run 6 km no problem but the constant stopping and turning and basically sprinting 56 times minimum (im over 26 thank god) is really tough. Ill be at it everyday just in case. Whoever said all you need is to be a little fit to pass this fitness test is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

r_k.com wrote: »
    I attempted the bleep test today........ Not good I really underestimated it. Starting off at 8.5km an hour it increases so quickly. Im relatively fit and could run 6 km no problem but the constant stopping and turning and basically sprinting 56 times minimum (im over 26 thank god) is really tough. Ill be at it everyday just in case. Whoever said all you need is to be a little fit to pass this fitness test is delusional.

Totally agree, a high level of fitness is required to reach level 8.7. People really should not underestimate it, start practicing now!

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Totally agree, a high level of fitness is required to reach level 8.7. People really should not underestimate it, start practicing now!

Agreed

its no stroll

Agreed

its no stroll

I thought you said it was no longer being tested?

I thought you said it was no longer being tested?

Thats what was said Shoden at stage 3 in chapterhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

Thats what was said Shoden at stage 3 in chapterhouse

I don't know I wouldn't take anything for granted, its on the website therefore I will be training.

r_k.com wrote: »
    I don't know I wouldn't take anything for granted, its on the website therefore I will be training.

It's worth an email to the AGS HQ HRM team but I've been pestering them far too much already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 whysosirius

Could we not just stop worrying about if it's there or not? Like if it's not there happy days but if it's on it's literally just a case of manning up and doing it. Start training for it because the extra fitness will benefit you regardless if it's there or not.

Advertisement