Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't find screenshots

• 09-11-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭

Before upgrading to Yosemite, my screenshots used to save straight to the desktop.
    I can't find them now?! I've tried changing it in the terminal but that hasn't worked either.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ekimiam

type the date into spotlight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The default location in Yosemite is the Desktop, at least with a clean fresh install it is.

You also try the Applications/Utilities/Grab application to grab windows or screens and you can select where the images go.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Typing the date was smart but didn't work.

Grab worked nicely but it's still a pain that I can't just use cmd shift 4 anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I just tried that there (Cmd-Shift-4) and it worked for me. Saved to the desktop once I made my selection. I'm using Yosemite also.

I can hear it make the capture sound and that's it. I can't find the screenshot anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Have you Dropbox enabled on your Mac?? If so, I think it becomes the default location in a Screenshots folder in Dropbox.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Have you Dropbox enabled on your Mac?? If so, I think it becomes the default location in a Screenshots folder in Dropbox.
    I have dropbox. Had a look and they are not there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Perhaps try and change the location of where the screenshots are saved, and if you can see them in the new location, change it back to Desktop:

Open Terminal then paste in:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Documents
    and hit 'Enter'.

This changes location to Documents folder.

Then paste:
    killall SystemUIServer
    and hit 'Enter'.

Restarts the service.

If you can see the screenshots now appearing in the Documents folder, then re-run the commands changing 'Documents' to 'Desktop'?
    Found this guide here: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/06/15/how-to-change-where-screenshots-are-saved-on-mac/

Hope it helps! I can't imagine not being able to quick screenshot and get the pic from the desktop quickly!

I tried that and it didn't work either. I set up a Screenshots folder in my documents and did those changes in Terminal. Nothing!

:(

Thanks for your help though.

If you use:

Shift-Control-Command-3

which copies the image to your clipboard only, can you paste it into Mail or a word doc or anything like that? Be good to establish if it's taking the screenshot. I know it's making the noise for it, so if you can paste the image into Mail or something, then at least we know it's taking the screenshot, the problem is just with the 'saving' of the image.

• Advertisement

It showed up in Mail when I pasted it!

OK, at least we know it's taking the screenshot now. That's a good start!

Can you run the same sequence of commands again and instead of using ~/Desktop use /users/YOUR_USE_NAME/Desktop.
    If you right click on something on the desktop and "Get Info" you can see the exact path if you like.

Just in case Yosemite is having some weird things with ~. It shouldn't, but you never know.

Also, if you go to System Preferences > Keyboard and choose "Screen Shots" from the left menu, is everything checked?

lzSQrDE.png

I tried the new command and still nothing

All the boxes are ticked in system preferences too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you tried searching in Spotlight for *.tiff ? AFAIK the default format for screen grabs is .tiff ?

Also, after you have grabbed a screen do you get the option on the desktop to 'Paste' if you right click it ?

Ken

This is mad altogether.

If you CMD+SHIFT+3 (full screen screenshot) does it put the image on your desktop? Likewise, if you CMD+SHIFT+4 then hit SPACEBAR to select the active window, you'll see a camera icon then - just click on the active window with the camera icon. Does this put a screenshot of the active window on your desktop?

Trying to establish if it's just the CMD+SHIFT+4 and drag a box command, or if it's all 'save to desktop' operations.

Can you also run the following in Terminal:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg
    Hit Enter, then do the killall SystemUIServer command once again.

Just trying to see if it's a problem with png's on the desktop or something. Yeah, a bit weird, I know. But this whole thing seems a bit weird, and I can't for the life of me think what it could be at this stage.

Whoah, something weird just happened! Tried taking another screenshot and dropbox asked me if I wanted to save them there. I accepted so they'll be turning up somewhere at least.

All those other screenshots must have gone through a dark hole to another dimension or something.

Right. Strange. Apparently Dropbox does do something with screenshots if it's installed. In saying that though, running those commands you ran earlier should've over written those settings.

Needless to say, brain frazzled! :P

Thanks for your help though. I appreciate it! :)

Noticed this on the Apple forums that seemed to fix the issue for another user:

In the Dropbox app (click the cog for settings) then click Preferences, then Import, and turn off "Save screenshots to Dropbox". Perhaps that'll help!

• Advertisement

Banta wrote: »
    Noticed this on the Apple forums that seemed to fix the issue for another user:

In the Dropbox app (click the cog for settings) then click Preferences, then Import, and turn off "Save screenshots to Dropbox". Perhaps that'll help!

Yeah I did that after setting it to save to Dropbox and now they show up on desktop!

This is marvelous news. I'll have a celebratory coffee now.

Advertisement