Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT into a Uni?

Options
  • 26-11-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm in the process of trying to transfer colleges when I go into 2nd year. I was wondering if it's harder to get into a university/college from an institute of technology through the advance entry route? My application from ITT to DIT looks unlikely and I was wondering if I should even bother at all trying to transfer into a university? Again, all advice and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Generally they don't accept transfers, unless the original LC requirements are met anyway. Eg: I know someone who transferred from TCD Psychology after 1st year to go into UCD Psychology 2nd year, but they had gotten enough points for either in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ndunnex

Generally they don't accept transfers, unless the original LC requirements are met anyway. Eg: I know someone who transferred from TCD Psychology after 1st year to go into UCD Psychology 2nd year, but they had gotten enough points for either in the first place.

So even if I do a year in the course but in an IT they still won't allow transfer? Thanks for the reply anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

ndunnex wrote: »
    So even if I do a year in the course but in an IT they still won't allow transfer? Thanks for the reply anyway :)

It depends, to be honest. I know someone else who finished 2nd year Business in DIT and then transferred into 1st year Commerce in NUIG... so maybe you can transfer, but you'll have to go back a year. It's worth contacting UCD regardless, just to be sure.

Come to think of it, I also know someone else who finished 3rd year Science in DIT and then went into 3rd year Science in UCD too. Your grades would have to probably be pretty good though, if your LC points weren't sufficient.

It depends, to be honest. I know someone else who finished 2nd year Business in DIT and then transferred into 1st year Commerce in NUIG... so maybe you can transfer, but you'll have to go back a year. It's worth contacting UCD regardless, just to be sure.

Come to think of it, I also know someone else who finished 3rd year Science in DIT and then went into 3rd year Science in UCD too. Your grades would have to probably be pretty good though, if your LC points weren't sufficient.

Ah right I see, yeah I think I'll talk to someone about it. thanks anyway for replying! Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 McKrab

From what I remember reading when I was looking up my own transfer, doing a year in an IT and getting good results can effectively reduce the points requirements by about 30 points. So say you needed 500 points for Commerce in UCD, but you only had 470. You could do a year in of a Business course in an IT and then transfer into 1st Year of Commerce in UCD.

That's the gist of it, but the specifics could be completely wrong. It's under the "External Transfers" section of the Transfer Protocols which you could find easily enough by Googling.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

okay great thank you! :)

Advertisement