Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height vertigo or fear of getting vertigo with heights?

Options
  • 23-11-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all, looking for some advice...
    I've seemed to develop height vertigo or a fear of suffering vertigo when up heights. The problem is I'm travelling abroad soon and staying with friends on the 30th floor. So I was wondering if anybody has experienced something similar or has any ideas on how to get over this?
    I never had this issue until around 5 years ago when I went up a few skyscrapers and felt so sick and dizzy that I had to crawl on all fours and the spinning / nausea lasted for hours after I went back down to ground level.
    When this happened me it also felt like my head was as heavy as a concrete block and I was unable to look anywhere but down. I also can't even look up at tall structures without getting dizzy, eg. The spire in dublin or skyscrapers in NYC.
    I have no fear of heights and have been up many tall buildings, cliffs, bridges in the past so this is something that has developed in me for some reason. I love flying and the height doesn't bother me in that situation.
    Obviously it's phsycological and if I can't stay at my friends place I'll move to a hotel but would love not to have to spend the extra money! Would taking Xanax or Valium be any good or are there any calming techniques I can try to do?
    Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated, thanx ;-)

Advertisement