Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelor of Science in Computing in Digital Forensics and Cyber Security

Options
  • 10-09-2014 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Has anyone done this course?

I am starting the 2nd year of Higher Certificate in Computing Applications & Support in NCI and thinking of finishing the degree by switching over to ITB for 2015/2016. It's only because I work in information security and I have no real interest in programming and software/web development, which brings me onto my real question - what does the secure programming module in this course involve and would I really need to build up my experience in programming during my second year in NCI? the only programming I did in first year was introduction to Java and building an application in Java but I'm still p*ss poor at it:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 arcticthinker

Has anyone done this course?

I am starting the 2nd year of Higher Certificate in Computing Applications & Support in NCI and thinking of finishing the degree by switching over to ITB for 2015/2016. It's only because I work in information security and I have no real interest in programming and software/web development, which brings me onto my real question - what does the secure programming module in this course involve and would I really need to build up my experience in programming during my second year in NCI? the only programming I did in first year was introduction to Java and building an application in Java but I'm still p*ss poor at it:o

This coarse is a computation coarse (ie all about programming) with specialization in cyber security. So you would be still programming, by the way java is related heavily to languages that are used to write code for security. ie c++ and C. so beware of that, i would recommend taking a serious look into the modules of the coarse via a prospectus, witch you can download or have mailed to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dissenter

This coarse is a computation coarse (ie all about programming) with specialization in cyber security. So you would be still programming, by the way java is related heavily to languages that are used to write code for security. ie c++ and C. so beware of that, i would recommend taking a serious look into the modules of the coarse via a prospectus, witch you can download or have mailed to your house.

This course isn't all about programming. It's a very interesting and hands-on course with a variety of areas covered from network security, cloud security, disaster recover and one module of secure programming. I think a solid foundation would get you through the one programming module. You should come to the ITB open day next Tuesday and talk to the people behind the course. Check www.itb.ie for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

Thanks for that info Dissenter. Unfortunately I cant make it over next Tuesday because I have an in-class exam that evening but I'll certainly try make it over to the next open evening whenever its on

• Registered Users Posts: 21 arcticthinker

Thanks for that info Dissenter. Unfortunately I cant make it over next Tuesday because I have an in-class exam that evening but I'll certainly try make it over to the next open evening whenever its on
    Tthere is usually one on in April i believe. There was one last year

Advertisement