Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 GRAPPLING INTERVARSITY

Options
  • 18-03-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Event : Grappling intervarsity

Date : Saturday May 3rd

Style : NoGi Submission only with an extra round tiebreaker followed by first takedown round

Eligibility : All current student card holders from the North and South. We will run a side event for non student card holders training with college clubs and if there is interest I will also run an alumni event. This goes for both competitions

Open to ALL grappling styles (Judo/BJJ/Sub Grappling etc)

Any comments/questions/suggestions fire away..I will do my best to answer them.

More info on the way
    Regards

Oisin McCabe
    DCU MMA Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Weight classes & Experience :
    under 64kg
    under 70kg
    under 76kg
    under 82kg
    under 88kg
    under 94kg
    under 102kg

Beginners = training from the commencment of the college year (October/November)
    Intermediate = 2 college years experience.
    Advanced = greater than 2 college years of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

Sweet ! What ruleset are the different categories being fought under, IBJJF rules or what ?

hurpederp wrote: »
    Sweet ! What ruleset are the different categories being fought under, IBJJF rules or what ?

Ruleset will be very close to the IBJJF with some minor alterations depending on category. As I mentioned its no points, submission only but regardign legal and illegal techniques I will post in more detail next week

Ok folks can finally give this the time and attention it needs. There's a lot of excitment from the DCU MMA members for this comp and we expect things to run as smoothly as they have in previous years. Several things we are looking to do are -

- Get as wide a participation as possible from different 3rd level institutions (there was a time we we had full teams from DCU, Queens, trinity, UL, IT Tallaght and several other colleges competing against each other. Since then 3rd level MMA and BJJ has taken a backwards step and we would like to use an event like this as a way to encourage other colleges to set up or reoped their own clubs)

-Have a womens absolute division or even better weight classed. Remember you don't have to have a university club to represent and compete so if you know any female studentsout there who train then spread the word.

-Get everyone at least 2 matches on the day regardless of wins or losses.

May 3rd is just around the corner so get your travel plans in order

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

Ever since i left ITTMMA hasnt been the same oisin :) good luck with the event mate.

Kev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

what subs are and aren't allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Hi Oisin,

I have a current and valid student card from UL and would like to give this a shot as I haven't competed in years.

What do I need to do to register, price, and what time the comp will be run approx.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi guys

legal subs etc

A full rules briefing will be conducted just before matches start. Generally illegal moves can be categorized into spine locks, heel hooks, neck cranks.

price of entry/regitration

As all years it is €15 and registration is on the day as you weigh in.

running time

weighins from 10-10.30 followed by rules meeting and first match takes place 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LoganV

This is awesome, fair play lads. Just out of curiosity, what's the motivation for having it at this time of year?

LoganV wrote: »
    This is awesome, fair play lads. Just out of curiosity, what's the motivation for having it at this time of year?

Venue availability is one reason but we have always aimed for end of april start of may as it allows any university students who have trained with a college club (presumably commencing october) to develop a decent level before stepping in to try their hand in a competition setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

We have the judo guys competing in mid February after only training since October, and it works out OK. You have to stratify the lower levels a lot more though. Typical judo competitions go by weight or experience, but we usually end up with separate divisions for white belts and total beginners and we'll split those into under/over 81kg. You kind of have to play it by ear.

Having it any later than that means that you're running into exams, when club attendance drops like a stone and it's very hard to convince anyone to take time away from their studying to get ready for a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LoganV

OMCCABE wrote: »
    Venue availability is one reason but we have always aimed for end of april start of may as it allows any university students who have trained with a college club (presumably commencing october) to develop a decent level before stepping in to try their hand in a competition setting.

Ah ha! That really should have occurred to me given that's my situation exactly. Lots of other IVs do happen around February though, I'm sure more folks would come if it wasn't exam season.

LoganV wrote: »
    Ah ha! That really should have occurred to me given that's my situation exactly. Lots of other IVs do happen around February though, I'm sure more folks would come if it wasn't exam season.

True, we would have liked it to be a bit earlier but those who want to compete will find a way hopefully.

We have the judo guys competing in mid February after only training since October, and it works out OK. You have to stratify the lower levels a lot more though. Typical judo competitions go by weight or experience, but we usually end up with separate divisions for white belts and total beginners and we'll split those into under/over 81kg. You kind of have to play it by ear.

Having it any later than that means that you're running into exams, when club attendance drops like a stone and it's very hard to convince anyone to take time away from their studying to get ready for a competition.

End of March was that sweet spot for us in the past years so hopefully next year we can return to that. We've 4 years of experience running these so know exactly what you mean with the playing it by ear. The main focus is, and always should be, a good experience for those doing their first ever competition. Thats why we run the brackets in such a ways as to guarantee at least 2 matches.

Looking forward to putting faces to the screen-names at todays comp. Thanks for the support folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LukeH.

Is there going to be a Grappling intervarsities in 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

LukeH. wrote: »
    Is there going to be a Grappling intervarsities in 2015?

hope so , last year was great fun and we've 15/20 looking to compete from AIT

Great stuff. I'm in ucc, we've no grappling or mma club but there'd definitely be a few guys who would compete.

Great stuff. I'm in ucc, we've no grappling or mma club but there'd definitely be a few guys who would compete. If it does happen when would it be? and how do we find out about it? Is there a facebook page or something?

Advertisement