Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg's tender

Options
  • 06-03-2004 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

comregclowns.jpg
    "ComReg's tender document is an involuntary piece of farce that not even the ComWreck crowd could have dreamt up."

Read the full story here

Peter

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

"I have passed on your comments in relation to our tendering process. Our team dealing with the tender will be looking at the issue in due course and let you know why your suggestions are ridiculous."
    LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

In a nutshell

1. We want a leased line greater than 256k (we are greedy bastards )
    2. We want availibility of 100% (not 99.9% like a 256k line)
    3. Contract period 1 year from April 2004

Tenders please .

I'm glad they took 16 pages to say that, I would hate to think that Comreg functioned in the real world.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I've been reading through the details of the tender since I work for a company that provides services to much larger UK public sector organisations (for example, we are one of the winners of the ePOS rollouts) and I am highly amused.

For a start there is only 2 weeks to tender - in other words, you have less than a week to build your bid. Secondly its only a one year contract - most contract are about 5-7 years. Thirdly, the 1MB link wanted is really very tiny by any standards. We use a 34MB link as a BACKUP for one of our main customers in the UK!
    Lastly there is less than 2 weeks from the time of winning the contract to implementing it.

In other words - basically the only company who could win this is the one already providing the services as it is neither feasible or worthwhile for anybody else. Yes, it is a sham.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's for a link of over 256K with ISDN or ADSL fallback

Number of paragraphs 509
    Number of words 3995
    Number of characters 27653

If the equipment is already in place (they do have an internet connection, don't they ?) then the rental amount in Euros could be closer to the number of words in the doc than the number of characters in it..

All sounds like the sucessful tender will be ring-fenced - but Comreg would have to sign the ISP's standard Terms and Conditions ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    If the equipment is already in place (they do have an internet connection, don't they ?)
    I know for a fact that their internet connection is the slowest pile of poo you could ever experiences. Their pings are something like 5 seconds....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

ha
    2.2.3 Reliability
    ComReg would like to consider the following options in terms of
    reliability/redundancy and support:-
    • Solution to achieve 100% up time during normal working hours
    using redundant failover solution with option to extend to 24*7

Anybody who guarantees "100% up time during normal working hours" is a liar, tbh.
    Excellent engineering practice goes by the 5 9s I believe. 99.999% uptime.
    This equates to less than 2 minutes of downtime per year (during working hours).
    4 9s would be about 20 minutes of downtime over a year.
    TBH who would notice if they were down for that long- they are going to pay a bucket of money for an over-engineered solution for their needs.
    The money would be better spent elsewhere rather than on thsi kind of mickey-waving. Do any qualified engineers work for COMREG, I wonder (ok there are-but this tender is silly)?

Maybe Mr Ahern should be told how ridiculous this is- even vastly more important equipment in the health service compared to COMREG's internet connectivity would not have 100% availability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by jd
    Do any qualified engineers work for COMREG, I wonder ?

They do, but they are probably not in charge of policy. That jobs falls to Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by jd
    Do any qualified engineers work for COMREG, I wonder?
    There are at least 6, most of them are managers.... I have no knowledge of any of those covering Internet/Telco policy though...

Advertisement