Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cooke (Cork) & Mackesy (Waterford) Descendants

• 22-06-2016 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have a small King James family bible given as a gift by a Canon & Mrs. Line to Ruth Ethel Mackesy, daughter of the surgeon and JP George Ivie Mackesey of Lady Lane, Waterford, on the occasion of her marriage to Edward Arthur Cooke in February 1902. Cooke was from West Villa, Mardyke, Cork. After the marriage, and by 1911, the couple were living in Belgrave Square, Dublin, and Edward worked as a rep for Expanded Steel in Ireland.

In fact, two brothers Cooke married two sisters Mackesy. Ruth Ethel's sister Mary Francis (Fannie) married Edwrad Arthur's brother Rev Alfred Hugh Cooke.

The children of these marriages included:

Gladys Ruth Cooke of the Metropolitan School of Art;
    Rupert George Cooke;
    Edward Hewitt of Burmah Rifles, died and buried in Malta;
    Hester Cooke poet and author of Rectory Days

I would like to return this bible to the family's descendants but have failed to identify any of them. Can anybody help me?

Furthermore, I have a Roman Catholic missal that belonged to a Mary A. Carney of Kiltulla (Co Clare?). Both this missal and the bible mentioned above were acquired together and seem to have belonged to the same extended family group. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

For pig iron I decided to have a look at the Mackesy family to see what I could see.

According to the Census George Ivie Mackesy and his wife Hester Maria Strangman had 18 children, 15 then living, so there should be a number of living relatives among the descendants of the siblings of Ruth Ethel and Mary Frances, though it does appear that neither Ruth Ethel nor Mary Frances had grandchildren.

It's worth noting that George Ivie's eldest son Joseph Poulter Thomas Mackesy was the recruiting officer who signed the attestation of thirteen year old John Condon who became the youngest Allied soldier to be killed in World War I.
    And also, Hester Olive, the next youngest after Joseph Poulter, married William Francis Peare who opened the first motor works or garage in Ireland.

So there's lots to see and do for anyone researching this family.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Mod note:

Just to add that no one should post details of anyone potentially still living on this board. It seems like it should be easy enough to track this family on the internet but I don't want to contravene anyone's privacy.

Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ozymandiaz

Hermy wrote: »
    For pig iron I decided to have a look at the Mackesy family to see what I could see.

According to the Census George Ivie Mackesy and his wife Hester Maria Strangman had 18 children, 15 then living, so there should be a number of living relatives among the descendants of the siblings of Ruth Ethel and Mary Frances, though it does appear that neither Ruth Ethel nor Mary Frances had grandchildren.

It's worth noting that George Ivie's eldest son Joseph Poulter Thomas Mackesy was the recruiting officer who signed the attestation of thirteen year old John Condon who became the youngest Allied soldier to be killed in World War I.
    And also, Hester Olive, the next youngest after Joseph Poulter, married William Francis Peare who opened the first motor works or garage in Ireland.

So there's lots to see and do for anyone researching this family.
    Hermy, thanks for your response. Much of what you say I already know but I am not a professional genealogist and do not have ready access to certain types of databases and records that genealogists can interrogate. Given my limited resources and experience in this field I have not been able to identify a living descendant of the Cookes or Mackesys. All of the people and surnames you refer to are mentioned in the bible I possess which contains many references (births, marriages, deaths) to members of this family netowrk but none of these are later than the 1930s.

I am aware that private information and personal details cannot be posted publicly on these boards but thought that someone might send me a private message with information. My intentions are entirely honourable - I just want to return a family bible where it belongs.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Mod note:

Just to add that no one should post details of anyone potentially still living on this board. It seems like it should be easy enough to track this family on the internet but I don't want to contravene anyone's privacy.

Thanks.
    Pinkypinky, I understand this issue and your concern. I had hoped that a PM might be posted by forum users and still hope that this might happen. As I said to Hermy, I just want to hand back a bible to the descendants of its rightful family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Ozymandiaz wrote: »
    I just want to hand back a bible to the descendants of its rightful family.

It's a very nice thing to do. Hopefully you will be successful. Thanks

• Advertisement

I've found a contact for a possible living relative and am awaiting a reply.
    I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've found a contact for a possible living relative and am awaiting a reply.
    I'll let you know if I hear anything back.
    Thanks, Hermy. Much appreciated.

It's a very nice thing to do. Hopefully you will be successful. Thanks
    Thanks, Pedro. No more than I would hope others would do for me in similar circumstances.

I will monitor this thread for developments and will keep posters informed of any progress.

I've just received a reply and am awaiting further instruction.
    As soon as I hear anything I'll post again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've just received a reply and am awaiting further instruction.
    As soon as I hear anything I'll post again.
    Thanks, Hermy.

• Advertisement

@Ozymandiaz
    I've sent you a PM with contact details.
    Best of luck.

Genealogy Forum Mod

@Ozymandiaz
    I've sent you a PM with contact details.
    Best of luck.
    Thanks, Hermy. I will follow this up. I will also let people know (without posting personal details or other private information) how things pan out.

Update

I am happy to report that the bible I had in my possession for over 30 years has now been returned to a descendant of its original owner. Thanks to Hermy for his help in this matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That is brilliant: I love a happy ending.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    That is brilliant: I love a happy ending.

Me, too. Thanks, Pinkypinky.:)

That's terrific Ozymandiaz.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement