Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just me?

• 13-06-2016 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'm getting the following error message when I try access irishgenealogy.ie
    Had issue with laptop yesterday, so wondering if this is just me or is it the site.

Error: 0 - RokGallery needs the RokCommon Library and Plug-in installed and enabled.

All other sites seem to be working fine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm getting a white page only, no error message but obviously there is something wrong. Maybe they are updating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/irishgenealogy.ie.html

It's definitely down. Check Claire Santry's blogpage and/or Twitter regularly; she's usually up to speed with these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The homepage is giving a problem but the civil BMD Index and Parish records are ok

they are separate subdomains : http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie and http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

shanew wrote: »
    The homepage is giving a problem but the civil BMD Index and Parish records are ok

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

Yeah, they're working alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

On a related note, when I search for O'Neill deaths for Ballymahon District I get 8 results, all 20th centtury!
    Has anyone noticed other similar anomalies?

Also, no marriages before 1882 for same district.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

none of the Index searches are ideal, they each have limitations, omissions and problems - I end up using a combination of all. The GRO index is great for partner matching & marriage dates, also birth dates and mother's maiden surnames when dates allow. FamilySearch and it's shared data have the best date range (1958 for ROI) , includes recent mother's maiden name of births, but not good with filtering counties and districts, Anc. copes well with surname variations, but has an annoying fuzzy approach to searches, but good date coverage and marriage partner matching. FMP has the best county and reg. district filtering and good search logic

Agree with you that the best approach is to use a combination for best results.
    I just hadn't realised there were such holes in their site content.
    It must be really tricky for those new to genealogy.

With Ancestry, you won't find Ballymahon entries in their indexes if you include Ballymahon or Longford in your search - just Longford and Granard.

Genealogy Forum Mod

some of the districts change in the GRO index, e.g. Dublin South and Dublin North appear as just Dublin in later entries, but Ballymahon should not - been a poor law union & reg. district back to the 1840s.

There do seem to be some holes in the GRO index - possibly by date/district(?). I'd love to get my hands on the raw data, either the FamilySearch version or the GRO copy, and link to an FMP search logic & UI...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

shanew wrote: »
    some of the districts change in the GRO index, e.g. Dublin South and Dublin North appear as just Dublin in later entries.

Following independence and the abolition of poor law unions in 1924, Dublin North and South were amalgamated, at least for some time.

Much the same happened around the country, where the county boards of health took over from the unions, SRDs were in some cases abolished, and ceased to cross county boundaries, for example, Rathdown which had been composed of southeast Dublin and northeast Wicklow, was curtailed to the Dublin portion, and the Wicklow section was transferred to Rathdrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Hermy wrote: »
    On a related note, when I search for O'Neill deaths for Ballymahon District I get 8 results, all 20th centtury!

Did you try ONeill, no apostrophe or space?

• Advertisement

Did you try ONeill, no apostrophe or space?
    Yes, but that's not my point. I'd like to think that a modern search engine would be able to deal with variations of spelling.

What's bizarre is that the Church Records section of the same website is well able to deal with these variations - yet the Civil Records section is terribly limited.

EDIT

O'Neill gets 52 entries
    O Neill gets 43 entries
    ONeill gets 80 entries

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hermy wrote: »

The prefix "O" is largely a twentieth century phenomenon, or at least since 1880, a product of the gaelic revival and increasing nationalism.

Your O'Neill ancestors were probably Neill, Neil, Neal or Neale.

tabbey wrote: »
    Your O'Neill ancestors were probably Neill, Neil, Neal or Neale.
    They may have been prior to civil registration but they turn up on the Family Search and Ancestry civil indexes when you enter 'O'Neill'.
    Just musing as to why irishgenealogy.ie can't do a better job.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement