Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unindexed Valuation Books are on Family Search

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

great to see these online - found some interesting details already from both House & Field books. Plenty more search through...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Now, do I wait until the queen of Donegal records (Lindel Buckley) transcribes the area I want or do I do it myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Many thanks, this is good news.

Just having a quick look now, I have a few queries on the measurements, etc. on the House Books.

Are the Length, breadth & height measured in feet/inches or? How do they arrive at Total # of measures? I assume the rate per measure depends on the quality of the buildings. The amount to pay was discounted/settled as were all the others in the townland. There is no date recorded but I think that I have read that the books were prepared to Griffiths.

There were 2 names recorded just below my chap's listing and they were listed as sub tenants of his on Griffiths, maybe labourers' cottages. I wouldn't have thought my chap would have needed needed 2 farm labourers so I am guessing that they could work wherever they were needed. One of them was later prosecuted for operating an illegal still/pub:)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Came up empty looking for a couple townlands, however on a whim I just started scrolling through the House Book for a parish that I know one ancestor was from and I think I finally have a townland for him. He has a very rare name for the parish, no one of that surname was there in the Primary Valuation. It must be him. Exciting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The date is sometimes mentioned in the introduction pages - house book for one area in Co. Wicklow was dated 1851, Griffith's is dated 1852 for the same area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Either the house books for Boylagh barony in Donegal aren't filmed or they were using the 18th century baronies still.

No date at the beginning of microfiche, but assume that it was late 1840s.

Another ancestor has been listed with an average sized house for the area but with a quality rating of 1a @ 1-8 so the amount due was £6-11-8 which seems extremely high! I'm guessing that it must have been a recently built house to have been given such a righ rating. If so, that house is still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

Great-great grandfather's brother is listed as occupier, then crossed out and replaced by gr-gr-grandfather's name - seems he died between the original survey and revision.

Also finding some great local history, e.g. "this mill was burned on Friday Nov. the 4th '53".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I can only find Field Books for Rathreagh, Co. Longford.

Does anyone know if this set of scans represent all that survives or might the Quarto, Tenure and House books for this area not have been scanned at the time?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Shane, I found a date where a Michael Deering (maybe the surveyor?) signed a page, dated September 1848.

Hermy, have only looked at the housebooks of one parish so far but some/part of townlands missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Hermy wrote:
    Does anyone know if this set of scans represent all that survives or might the Quarto, Tenure and House books for this area not have been scanned at the time?

I think there are definitely scans missing. Of all the records for Clanmaurice in Kerry, there's only one for Kilfeigny parish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A pity that. The parish records only start in 1855 so I'm desperate for any earlier records that might shed light on things.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Access to these online has now been cancelled. They will in future be accessible only at individual FH centres. They are due to appear later this year though, on both FMP and via the NAI, free of charge.

Advertisement