Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid-term trains are bookable now

Options
  • 14-10-2014 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

This might only appeal to a minority of folks who (like me) are getting the train to Austria to avoid the infeasibly high prices of flying to Salzburg or Munich at mid-term, but it looks like the Austrians (www.oebb.at) have released their tickets a little early this year. Normally you can only book 90 days ahead, but I just booked for the middle of February which is ~120 days ahead.

The Germans released their 2015 tickets today and as expected are only selling 90 days ahead. The Swiss, in an uncharacteristic lapse haven't released their 2015 tickets today at all. The Austrians meantime were a little over-enthusiastic and released too far ahead.

This is just a heads up for anyone looking to head to Austria by train that the tickets are on sale earlier than normal.

z

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Mind explaining the route & cost?
    Looking at san anton in feb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Flying to Zurich with Swiss on Friday & back on Sunday (a week later), but Aer Lingus also fly there. That cost €200 return per person which is mighty impressive for a) Switzerland and b) mid-term ski time, including 23kg baggage and a little something to eat (and drink I think) on the flights. Just after we booked it, Aer Lingus had a sale and it was marginally cheaper for a while.

We're going to Kitzbuhel and there's one direct train from Zurich to Kitzbuhel. It involves us staying a night in Zurich, but that's only €80 or so (plus a grand for food, knowing Switzerland).

In your case there's a train from Zurich to San Anton (am Arlberg . . . hopefully the correct one) every two hours, so you are spoiled for choice. At the moment, you can get those trains for the grand total of €68 per direction for a family of 4.

All in all, we're getting from Dublin airport to our apartment (door to door-ish) and back for about €300 each, including luggage and first class trains. It can be worth pushing the boat out a little and getting 1st class tickets. I haven't been on this particular train before, but the ones from Munich down to Austria on Saturday mornings in ski season are somewhat like the black hole of Calcutta, with added skis, boots and other dangerous objects. In 1st class you get a lot less of this, but it's still packed. You may also get a free cup of coffee and a packet of biscuits in the lounge in Zurich.

z

[edit] dang - I just checked the prices again and the flights have actually got cheaper since we booked. In fact for Sant Anton (remember to make sure it's the correct one as there seem to be a few) you could fly to Zurich at civilised times on Saturday and be in the resort by 1900. Those train tickets are even cheaper - €38 for a family of 4. We could have gone that route but wanted to be in the resort earlier in the day. Now that I look at it, that was probably a false economy on our part. Hey ho.

Advertisement