Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord na Mona Peat Briquettes - Quality

Options
  • 26-11-2012 2:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

In winter I enjoy an open fire and am especially fond of peat briquettes as a solid fuel. Lately I've noticed the quality hasn't been great - breaking into small pieces, irregular shapes, with the outer briquettes crumbling while still bound.

Yesterday I bought two bales bound in green strapping which were particularly bad. Then it struck me that down the years the strapping was consistently an orangey colour and that the poorer quality seems to be associated with the green strapping or is this just coincidence?

Two grades of briquettes sold at the same price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Green binding here as long as I can remember. Quality as good as ever - nice solid shiney bales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sounds more like a poorer batch which were not pressed as well which is why they break up so easily.

Could just have been rough handling by delivery/shop staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I did a bit of the "Donal McIntire's" this evening.

original Centra. green strapping €3.95
    garage nearby, orange, €4.30
    independent shop orange, €3.80
    other garage, orange, €4.25
    hardware shop, green, €4.00

So a variety of bindings and prices but don't know about the quality of other than the current two bales I bought.

Now just to change out of my disguise and hidden cameras ...

If it's such a big deal why don't you contact Bord na Mona about it?

• Advertisement

If it's such a big deal why don't you contact Bord na Mona about it?
    Are you suggesting I shouldn't post about a possible consumer issue here? If you don't want to read the thread then don't.

Now, off about your business before I get really cross with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

mathepac wrote: »
    In winter I enjoy an open fire and am especially fond of peat briquettes as a solid fuel. Lately I've noticed the quality hasn't been great - breaking into small pieces, irregular shapes, with the outer briquettes crumbling while still bound.

Yesterday I bought two bales bound in green strapping which were particularly bad. Then it struck me that down the years the strapping was consistently an orangey colour and that the poorer quality seems to be associated with the green strapping or is this just coincidence?

Two grades of briquettes sold at the same price?
    I've noticed both the colour change of the strapping, and lowering in quality in the briquettes myself. Mine all seem to split in half along their length

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Maybe with the last few wet summers they haven't been able to dry the peat sufficiently?

Before the orange plastic strip, the binder used to be wire and required a wire cutter to open a bale.

WireCutters.jpg

mathepac wrote: »
    Are you suggesting I shouldn't post about a possible consumer issue here? If you don't want to read the thread then don't.

Now, off about your business before I get really cross with you.

Not at all; I genuinely would contact them and ask if it was a concern/issue for me. So you can quell the temper as no annoyance was intended. :rolleyes:

Received from Bord na Mona yesterday via email :-

"Hi mathepac

Thanks for your correspondence re bale briquettes .

The briquettes are not substandard as we do not bale any briquettes which are deemed to be substandard . We sell all these briquettes as loose product which is sold at a discounted price at the factory .

The retail price of briquettes varies from retailer to retailer depending to the margin expectation etc . The product can be a bit crumbly if it is not stored correctly as we recommend that the product is stored indoors.

The price charged is up to each individual retail outlet and has nothing to do with the impression of inferior briquettes .

while some of the bales may not break evenly the product will burn giving the same heat as before .

hopefully this will answer your query.

Best Regards ... "

Thanks for the response BnM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement