Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a dog, suggestions please.

Options
  • 26-08-2010 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi guys. Ok, so I just started living alone. Its my first time and its very exciting and new cause before this I lived with my big family (8 people). A couple of weeks ago my friend's house was robbed while she was asleep. After that I dont feel secure and I'm very jumpy when I'm at home, especially at night time when I'm in bed. And I had an idea that it would be nice to get a dog. I always loved animals and I had a small doggy when I was small. But I would like a big dog, that I woul feel safe sleeping with. I'd just feel more comfortable and he'd keep me company. Not sure what to look for though. Any suggestions as to what type of a dog I should get?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

lil_missy wrote: »
    Hi guys. Ok, so I just started living alone. Its my first time and its very exciting and new cause before this I lived with my big family (8 people). A couple of weeks ago my friend's house was robbed while she was asleep. After that I dont feel secure and I'm very jumpy when I'm at home, especially at night time when I'm in bed. And I had an idea that it would be nice to get a dog. I always loved animals and I had a small doggy when I was small. But I would like a big dog, that I woul feel safe sleeping with. I'd just feel more comfortable and he'd keep me company. Not sure what to look for though. Any suggestions as to what type of a dog I should get?

Do you mind if i ask you some questions....

Firstly have you had a dog before?? do you work full time??
    Where do you intend to keep your dog?? Where will he sleep??

Its not a decision to take lightly dogs need alot of time and effort... if you thought this through then... DEF get a rescue dogm they will be excellent company for you
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You want to feel safe sleeping with the dog, or feel safe sleeping, with the dog in the house?

Sleeping with any dog can lead to hassle because the dog thinks that he is on the same level as you are. Not saying it can't be done, but the dog will need a firmer hand in training and other obedience.

Just note that the vast majority of burglars want to get in and out without being discovered. So any dog that will bark at an intruder will make a perfect guard dog. Dogs aren't impervious, so if the burglar doesn't care about the barking, then he will be able to "sort out" the dog if he wants.

What kind of house do you have? If you have no set ideas on what kind of big dog you'd like, maybe take a trip up to a local rescue to look around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lil_missy

cocker5 wrote: »
    Do you mind if i ask you some questions....

Firstly have you had a dog before?? do you work full time??
    Where do you intend to keep your dog?? Where will he sleep??

Its not a decision to take lightly dogs need alot of time and effort... if you thought this through then... DEF get a rescue dogm they will be excellent company for you
    :p

I had a dog when I was 8 - 14. And I love dogs, my friend has a dog that I look after when she goes on holidays. I work from home but I study (about 10 hours a week) in college. The dog can stay in the house and sleep with me. Where can I get a rescue dog btw?

seamus wrote: »
    You want to feel safe sleeping with the dog, or feel safe sleeping, with the dog in the house?

Sleeping with any dog can lead to hassle because the dog thinks that he is on the same level as you are. Not saying it can't be done, but the dog will need a firmer hand in training and other obedience.

Just note that the vast majority of burglars want to get in and out without being discovered. So any dog that will bark at an intruder will make a perfect guard dog. Dogs aren't impervious, so if the burglar doesn't care about the barking, then he will be able to "sort out" the dog if he wants.

What kind of house do you have? If you have no set ideas on what kind of big dog you'd like, maybe take a trip up to a local rescue to look around?

Well I was planning to have hm in the bed with me, so in case he barks, I'd wake up and turn the lights on or something. Hmm, didn't know that could be a bad idea. Maybe I could buy him a sleeping bed for dogs and put it beside my bed?

I had a dog when I was 8 - 14. And I love dogs, my friend has a dog that I look after when she goes on holidays. I work from home but I study (about 10 hours a week) in college. The dog can stay in the house and sleep with me. Where can I get a rescue dog btw?

There are so many recuse centres!! You would have your pick!!
    If you tell them in the rescue centre your needs they will be able to recommend a breed or dog for you :D

Exciting time getting a dog!!

http://www.ispca.ie/

http://www.paws.ie/

http://www.ashanimalrescue.com/

http://www.dogrescueireland.com/

The list is endless!! Google them !!

Post some pics up when you get your new friend :p

• Advertisement

Well I was planning to have hm in the bed with me, so in case he barks, I'd wake up and turn the lights on or something. Hmm, didn't know that could be a bad idea. Maybe I could buy him a sleeping bed for dogs and put it beside my bed?

of course you can get him a bed and have him sleeping in your room.... just make sure it what you want long term, beacuse if you decide down the road that you have changed your mind it may cause problems...

dosg are also very effective while sleeping in the kitchen... just something to think about!

I have a cocker spaniel.... he is brillant, they make fab dogs but then again all dogs are fab! :D

There are so many recuse centres!! You would have your pick!!
    If you tell them in the rescue centre your needs they will be able to recommend a breed or dog for you :D

Exciting time getting a dog!!

http://www.ispca.ie/

http://www.paws.ie/

http://www.ashanimalrescue.com/

http://www.dogrescueireland.com/

The list is endless!! Google them !!

Post some pics up when you get your new friend :p

Thanks for that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not necessarily a bad idea, but the dog will become accustomed to it and you have no clear boundaries of "This is my bed and that's the dog's bed". This will extend to other things where the dog sees no problems in jumping up and eating your food or climbing across your lap while you're sitting down.

You could also have problems in future if/when you have a partner and share a bed with them.

When I was a kid, our dog would stay in bed with whomever she could. If she was sleeping in one bed and the person got up, she'd go find someone else who was still in bed and climb in there. She was spoiled rotten. The result was that it was impossible to get her to stay in her own bed because she thought she had the right to sleep in all the beds. :D

If you're going to have the dog sleep in your room, you may as well have him sleep in the bed. Mainly because you will give in eventually and let the dog into your bed anyway :D When we got our dog my wife was dead against having a dog in the bed - it was gross. Now she has secretly revealed to me that she would have the dog sleep with us in a heartbeat except that I won't allow it :D

You need to learn to control yourself as much as the dog :D

of course you can get him a bed and have him sleeping in your room.... just make sure it what you want long term, beacuse if you decide down the road that you have changed your mind it may cause problems...

dosg are also very effective while sleeping in the kitchen... just something to think about!

I have a cocker spaniel.... he is brillant, they make fab dogs but then again all dogs are fab! :D

I'll give it another thought, might ask what my friend's think of the idea. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Hi Missy,

There is a lot of thinking to do. First off I would suggest thinking about what kind of a dog you would want as in how big? do they shed much? hair all over the house can be a pain to some people, how much exercise do they require? , how much do they eat? How often?...then make a list of the types of dogs that fit your requirements and research them in a bit more detail remember this dog will be with you for a long time you have to be sure it is the right one don't go in blind.

Differant dogs have differant personalities ranging from breed to indivituals and alot of them if not all are a product of what you put into them. Some are difficult to train , and guard dog breeds especially require a firm hand and strong pack leader, you have to be ready for that or they could end up causing you more harm than good. With that said a dog can be a wonderfull friend, companian and guard dog for your home with the right time , effort and training put into it.

Here are some breeds I would suggest reseaching , then you have the choice on to buy a breed as a pup and raise it or take one from a shelter both have pros and cons you should also look in to. IMO as much as rescue dogs can be fantastic dogs, I find guard dogs are best trained from pups so as to grow with their family and masters from an early age. Anyway here are some of the well known guard dogs to research, all are medium to large breeds.

German Shepherd
    Rottweiler
    Doberman
    Akita
    Staffie
    Boxer

Remember all of these dogs are generally for expierienced handlers so do research before deciding. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pugsnotdrugs

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Anyway here are some of the well known guard dogs to research, all are medium to large breeds.

German Shepherd
    Rottweiler
    Doberman
    Akita
    Staffie
    Boxer

Remember all of these dogs are generally for expierienced handlers so do research before deciding. Best of luck.

I have never heard of staffies being good guard dogs. They're too much of a 'people's dog' and they don't tend to be big barkers. I know our staffy would be no use if we got broken into and would be more likely to lick a burgular to death than anything else!!

Smaller dogs can make great watch dogs in that they'll bark to alert you if someone tries to break in. Most burgulars just want to get in and out as quick as possible without being caught so often a barking dog will be enough to deter them. Our pug would actually be much more use to us in a burglary than our staffy as I know he would bark his head off if someone tried to get in :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Smaller dogs can make great watch dogs in that they'll bark to alert you if someone tries to break in. Most burgulars just want to get in and out as quick as possible without being caught so often a barking dog will be enough to deter them. Our pug would actually be much more use to us in a burglary than our staffy as I know he would bark his head off if someone tried to get in :rolleyes:

+1 I have a Westie, best guard dog I ever saw, is also low shed and small so easier (and cheaper) maintenance. Sleeps in her own bed on the floor but is normally in my bed when I wake up in the morning. I actually have her upstairs as she barks more if downstairs, at passing cars etc. during the night ;). Will growl if she hears a noise downstairs and will bark after this unless I tell her its ok. Her coat isn't hard to manage at all and she certainly isn't a lap dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I recommend www.dogstrust.ie or look at www.irishanimals.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Golden Retriever - all the way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

sligopark wrote: »

your intentions appear good but perhaps lack some attention but all the smae very best of luck (-:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

+1 to the Westie, I have a Westie who is only 13 weeks old and she will bark if someone so much as comes near the house. I have used her barking to my advantage in that when she barks I say "Woof" the first 2 or 3 barks, and then I give her a toy. She obviously can't bark while chewing/playing with the toy, so as I give her the toy I say "quiet" and then "good quiet". Its handy because if you have visitors she knows what quiet means. But she is fantastic to alert me to strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭JennyAnt

Another Westie fan here! My Westie (Baxter) barks when anyone comes to the front door - and he knows the OK command if I'm expecting anyone and so shuts up!! And to be honest he has a loud/deep bark - delivery men etc are always commenting on how he sounds like a pitbull, but looks like an angel!

And just on the sleeping arrangements - I had Bax in my bed for the first few weeks and he didn't like it! Now he sleeps downstairs on a big floor pillow in the living room, and if I'm ever up late, once it goes past 1am he starts giving me 'looks' like I'm disturbing him and he just wants to go to bed! His gas! Highly recommend them!

And also have a friend with a jack russell and he can smell people right at bottom of garden and often barks before people even get near the door!

Advertisement