Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats and ringworm

Options
  • 26-08-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello Boards.ie

I am new here and I hope someone will be able to help me with a question.

I have recently acquired a kitten, quite by accident. We found it in the middle of the road, apparently dead, but then it sat up, so we took home and it has survived and is thriving.

It had some superficial cuts to its face which are healing nicely, but there are some bald patches on its ears which I am beginning to wonder about. I suspect it might be ringworm. I plan to take it back to the vet but I was just wondering what treatments are recommended and whether or not dogs can contract it from cats?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Ringworm can be passed from cats to dogs and also to people.
    I'd get the kitten to the vet ASAP, the treatment is a creme i believe but not sure, there was a thread on here a while ago, about it try a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

I would agree with previous poster, and take the cat to the Vets.
    There are different means of treatment, all available from the Vet, some are topical (creams), some washes and the vet may even prescribe oral medications.
    It is important as the problem may flare up again in the future.
    And, as the prev poster stated, it is passable from one species to another, eg humans

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Noctua

Thank you for the replies. Straight to the vet it is!

I knew about human transmission, but I was unsure about the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

As above, get treatment at your vets. Keep in mind that some treatment protocols last a few weeks. Also, get out the hoover and hoover the place to death. You can use 10% bleach on washable floors. The ringworm (fungus) spores can last for a long time in the environment (ie your house) so this is one way to reduce numbers, once the cat is being treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

If the kitten has ringworm you really need to get it sorted. My folks rescued a kitten from the side of the dual carriageway last year and before long their other cat had it and so did the entire family! It took a couple of months to get everybody clear at the same time. It can be an awful nuisance so it's important to nip it in the bud.

• Advertisement

Oh dear. I'd better get the hoover out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ringworm - first, it's not a worm infestation, it's a fungal infection. It's very common in young animals with compromised immune systems, e.g. a kitten who's been doing it tough.

The fungus spores infest the hair shaft, and make it brittle, causing the hair to fall off at the skin in circular lesions. They usually aren't that itchy or irritating, except maybe as the hair starts to break off and the lesion begins to form.

Ringworm can be transferred to other animals and to people - you are particularly prone to it if you have a compromised immune system and if there's a scratch or wound on your skin. Treatment in people is topical application of an anti-fungal cream like canestan.

The vet will identify the ringworm using a woods lamp - there are a number of different kinds of ringworm, but some flouresce under a woods lamp which is how it'll be identified.

Treatment of ringworm is a combination of things - generally, build the kitten up - the best food, a ready supply of fresh water, keep it warm and dry and indoors. The fungus spores will be shed from the ringworm sites, so it's best to keep the kitten in one room and hoover regularly.

Ringworm will usually resolve itself, even without treatment, in about four to six weeks, but animals can be reinfected with the fungal spores from their own bedding, so it's important to keep them quarantined to one area that you can hoover, or mop, regularly; also use bedding that you can wash regularly. It's also important to treat the infection, because if the kitten is really immunocompromised it needs all the help it can get to shake the infection, because reinfection can be persistent and cause a chronic case.

Other treatments include an anti-fungal shampoo, topical creams, or an oral medication like griseofulvin. (There's something about griseofulvin being soluble in fat, so you need to get a teaspoonful of something like double cream into the kitten before giving the meds.) The topical creams work well on dogs, but with cats, who wash themselves, it will depend on where the lesions are. You may be better off with an antifungal shampoo bath once or twice a week for a few weeks with a cat. Oral medications for ringworm are quite harsh, and on a small kitten who's been a bit poorly, I'm not sure your vet will recommend them.

Basically, take a trip to your vet and see what they say about a treatment. Ringworm can be a real pain in the bum to get rid of, but any poor kitten with ringworm surrendered to a shelter will be put to sleep, because it's persistent and you have to observe a quarantine and administer meds, which involves more resources than most shelters are willing to give to one kitten.

I commiserate with you, OP, but don't be too thrown by it. I currently have a pup with ringworm in the house with my six cats, we've been treating the pup with a topical cream (canestan). He's quarantined in a bathroom with a baby gate so he can see the cats but can't mix with them. The cats aren't showing any signs of infection so that's all gone well, but the pup was pretty low in himself when I got him - emaciated, flea-riddled, worm-riddled and with a huge bald ringworm patch under his jaw, two on his elbow, a fourth forming on his side and the other half has noticed another one on his bum. The one under his jaw has healed since we started cream treatment and we'll get there eventually. Just takes time and patience!

Thank you for all that information Sweeper. Very useful.

Advertisement