Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena [US] **Spoilers**

• 15-07-2010 1:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

January 2011, previous title "House Of Batiatus", insert all info and spoilers here -->

The series is called - "Spartacus - Gods Of The Arena," which is even more epic than "Blood and Sand"
    Gannicus - A total badass, and the focal point of the miniseries. Think Crixus and Spartacus combined. He will also appear in the second season.
    Many characters will return including - Batiatus, Lucretia, Doctore, Crixus, Barca, and Naevia and Ashur.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Anyone remember the "hot slave girl" from episode six of Spartacus: Blood & Sand...well she created an online stir and search, now she's been "outed" and gave an interview:

http://www.clattoverata.com/2010/07/10/clatto-exclusive-meet-laura-surrich-the-slave-girl-in-spartacus-blood-and-sand/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

^^ Link NSFW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

This is the 6 episode Prequel series for anyone who's unsure. Series 2 is said to air sometime in the 2nd half of 2011 but it has not yet started production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,490 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Richard you must be very happy about this :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Must actually give the 1st series a watch..

.. the whole '300' angle put me half as I loath '300'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

bring on the ladies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,490 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a246464/cast-announced-for-spartacus-prequel.html

Australian actor Dustin Clare has been cast in the lead role in upcoming Starz miniseries Spartacus: Gods of the Arena.
    Deadline reports that Clare will play gladiator Gannicus in the six-part prequel to Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
    The new series will reportedly focus on the House of Batiatus prior to the arrival of Spartacus (Andy Whitfield). Original series stars John Hannah (Batiatus) and Lucy Lawless (Lucretia) will reprise their roles.
    Former Dexter actress Jaime Murray will also appear as Gaia, a friend of Lucretia, while Marisa Ramirez will play "a beautiful slave girl with complicated relationships".
    Whitfield - who recently announced that he has recovered from a battle with cancer - will appear briefly in two episodes.
    The miniseries is expected to air in January on Starz, while a second season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand will begin filming later this year.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a248380/lawless-spartacus-future-uncertain.html

See, i don't get this?....it seemed pretty obvious in the S1 finale that Lucritia is dead, she got stabbed in the womb ffs!, pumping blood...she's collapses beside Batiatus, so how the hell can she survive?

Seriously, she should just be dead...what more could she add to season 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Seriously, she should just be dead...what more could she add to season 2?

Yep, it'd be just stupid to bring her back for season 2 - makes perfect sense for the prequel but none for season 2 "proper" itself. Anyway, with Ashur, Ilithia and Glaber still out there, there's no shortage of adversaries and I'm sure new ones will be introduced as well.

^ exactly!....i'd prefer new kick ass characters and as stated Ilythia and Ashur are very good characters to keep alive for S2...the two biggest snakes survived, it made sense!

Lucritia and Batiatus had it coming all season, as much as i loved the characters and wanted to see more of them i think the prequel serves that purpose, no need to drag then into Spartacus season 2 (proper).

BY JUPITER'S COCK! - i miss saying that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Jaime Murray.

Squuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrttttttttt.

Ahem. Excuse me. :o

OMG!...teaser trailer posted:

F*CK! , no new footage save for a voice over from John Hannah :mad:
    Jezz...i'm a pleb, they haven't even started filming yet...but hey, it's a legit teaser, of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I only finished blood and sands this week but I think I'm more looking forward to this then anything else at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

By Jupiters Cock I hate prequels of established shows instead of making series that continue the plot, Caprica, Star Trek: Enterprise etc, they always suck, same goes for films and games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thargor wrote: »
    By Jupiters Cock I hate prequels of established shows instead of making series that continue the plot, Caprica, Star Trek: Enterprise etc, they always suck, same goes for films and games.

I'd kind of agree, but considering the reasons behind this, i'm delighted its being made. Show's how much faith Stars have in the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm catching this at the mo' - one of the funniest (unintentionally) programmes I've ever watched. Pure explicitness for the sake of it - the most frequently used word is "cock". Teenage boys would fuppin' love it! :pac:

Classic line earlier - "Her **** overflows at the thought of having a gladiator" (or something). :eek: :pac:

• Advertisement

Episode 3 of the prequel currently shooting, directed by Michael Hurst:

http://spartacus.ausxip.com/prequel/2010/08/michael-hurst-to-direct-episdoe-3-of-god.html

spartacus-gods-of-the-arena-starz-poster-thumb.jpg

^ legit promo....OMG!!!!....what did i say about wanting Jaime Murray in Spartacus!!!!!.....LOOK ^^^^^^^^

19518680.jpg

http://www.starz.com/pressroom/spartacusgota

http://spartacus.ausxip.com/prequel/castinfo.php

2010image-817-20101009182917.jpg

Spartacus: GOTA starts Friday, January 21st!

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2010/10/28/exclusive-spartacus-gods-of-the-arena-to-premiere-friday-january-21-625210/8949/

I have spoiler tagged the following text/press release as it details a synopsis of the upcoming series:
    A network rep has confirmed said date for the project, a six-episode prequel to last year's "Spartacus: Blood and Sand."

Here's how the network details the series:

Before Spartacus struck down his first opponent in the arena, there were many gladiators who passed though the gates onto the sand. "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena," the highly anticipated prequel to Starz' hit series "Spartacus: Blood and Sand," tells the story of the original Champion of the House of Batiatus: Gannicus (Dustin Clare) in a more ruthless time before Spartacus' arrival where honor was just finding it's way into the arena. The new series adds to the cast Jaime Murray as Capua's sexy social climber Gaia and Marisa Ramirez as Melitta, a beautiful slave who must face the ultimate decision of the heart. Jeffrey Thomas plays Batiatus's father Titus, the traditional and cautious Lanista, head of the Ludus. They join returning cast members John Hannah (Quintus Batiatus), Lucy Lawless (Lucretia), Peter Mensah (Oenomaus, before he becomes Doctore, the gladiator trainer) and Manu Bennett (Crixus).

As the prequel begins, Quintus Batiatus is the acting Lanista while his father Titus is on an extended visit to Sicilia. But Batiatus isn't satisfied with just the thought of taking over the Ludus one day; he aspires to political power and prestige in Capua, and perhaps beyond. In the class-conscious world of ancient Rome, the House of Batiatus must first earn the respect of both politicians and socialites before being granted the right for its gladiators to fight in the much-revered championship bouts called the Primus. Batiatus must not only survive the harsh politics of Capua, but also compel his hedonistic fighter, Gannicus, to embrace being a champion gladiator who will bring esteem and respect to the House of Batiatus. "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena" is produced by Rob Tapert, Sam Raimi, Joshua Donen and Steven S. DeKnight. Season one of "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" was the highest rated show for the 18-49 demographic among all cable networks for 12 of the 13 Fridays on which it aired based on coverage rating.

The pay channel previously ordered a second season of "Blood and Sand" however star Andy Whitfield's departure to resume aggressive treatment for a recurrence of cancer has put the show's future up in the air while a replacement actor is found or the decision is made to close up shop completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

the language in that programme is appalling

f this f that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

huge fan, but can anyone tell me why someone different is playing spartacus? i heard the original spartacus had cancer and they had to move on is that true?

• Advertisement

maxxie wrote: »
    the language in that programme is appalling

f this f that,

Nah...that's what makes it great! :D
    + the nudity, characters, violence, storytelling etc. ;)

huge fan, but can anyone tell me why someone different is playing spartacus? i heard the original spartacus had cancer and they had to move on is that true?

Andy Whitfield/Sparatacus isin't in it...it's a new guy called Gannicus, this is a prequel, before Sparty showed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Nah...that's what makes it great! :D
    + the nudity, characters, violence, storytelling etc. ;)

FYP

More vids:

Jaime Murray is a huge + for me, she's a very good actress...and if she gets nekid....oh yeah!

Andy Whitfield/Sparatacus isin't in it...it's a new guy called Gannicus, this is a prequel, before Sparty showed up.

cheers bud, thats great news i taught they changed spartacus which would of retty much ruined it, happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

cheers bud, thats great news i taught they changed spartacus which would of retty much ruined it, happy days

They are changing him for season 2. Andy Whitfield has cancer, and will not be back acting for quite some time, if ever.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    They are changing him for season 2. Andy Whitfield has cancer, and will not be back acting for quite some time, if ever.

I know you didn't mean it the way it sounded/read....but Andy's still with us!

jor el wrote: »

ye i heard that but i didn't know if it was true or not, thats gonna be tough to watch a new spartacus i honestly cant stand new people playing original characters but what can you the chap is physically sick.

do you not mean season 3 with gods of the arena being season 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Really looking forward to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

ye i heard that but i didn't know if it was true or not, thats gonna be tough to watch a new spartacus i honestly cant stand new people playing original characters but what can you the chap is physically sick.

do you not mean season 3 with gods of the arena being season 2?

gods of the arena is kinda a prequel they came up with while andy fought cancer, showing what the ludus was like before his arrival, it gave him enough time to recover, but just as he was getting back into shape the cancer came back,

so its not a season 2, more like an add-on to season 1, its gonna be 6 epsidoes long AFAIK, season 2 with 13 episodes will premier next autum with a new spartacus,

Spartacus producer Steven S. DeKnight has confirmed that upcoming prequel Gods of the Arena will be a standalone experience.

In an official Starz interview, DeKnight insisted that it is not necessary to have watched the first season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand in order to understand the new six-part series.

"The great thing about the prequel is, it stands by itself as a story," he confirmed. "If you didn't see season one, you can [still] completely enjoy and understand everything that's going on. All the information is there, everything's filled in [and] all the characters are introduced."

He also hinted that the prequel would contain a great deal of "murder and back-stabbing".

"Everybody is trying to get ahead...so there is a lot of maneuvering," he said. "There's a lot of lying, cheating [and] murdering... and many surprises as well [in terms of] who's doing what to who."

DeKnight suggested that Gods of the Arena would continue with the "take no prisoners" approach of its parent series.

"We will go places that other television shows fear to tread," he promised. "We don't shy away from the sexuality [or] the violence. We try to portray it as realistically as possible."

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena premieres on January 21 on Starz.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a292107/spartacus-creator-teases-prequel.html

^ can't wait for this to start!!

New article/interview/sneak peak video!: http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/12/08/spartacus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Looks good,would I be right in thinking if the US premier is January this will most likely not be on Bravo or TV3 until this time next year?

Some cool promo pics: http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/12/spartacus-gods-of-arena-cast.html

I picked out these two as they are new characters:

ddf81bdf485416e5da98a1ad5cf35993.jpg

ea5c9893c583ba365d05e7e2dcf6a815.jpg

Episode titles + air dates:
    1) Past Transgressions (Jan. 21)
    2) Mission (Jan. 28)
    3) Paterfamilias (Feb. 4)
    4) Beneath the Mask (Feb. 11)
    5) Reckoning (Feb. 18)
    6) The Bitter End (Feb. 25)

^ titles might give stuff away. Camelot episode 1 premieres in full after the finale, i'm predicting monster rating 1.5-2 million viewers.

What are the air dates Richard? I don't wanna see the episode names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The dates from Richards post:

1)
    Past Transgressions
    (Jan. 21)
    2)
    Mission
    (Jan. 28)
    3)
    Paterfamilias
    (Feb. 4)
    4)
    Beneath the Mask
    (Feb. 11)
    5)
    Reckoning
    (Feb. 18)
    6)
    The Bitter End
    (Feb. 25)

Just watched the promo there, looks exactly what I hoped it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Can't wait for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So with Bravo now gone I wonder will this be on Sky1 instead..

This looks FECKING EPIC!! :D

^ man i REALLY can't wait for this show!!, it's got just about everything you could want in it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement