Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overcharged on lawsuit engineer's report help?

Options
  • 12-12-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi guys. First of all I wasn't quite sure if this thread belongs here or in the Legal Issues section so my bad if I'm in the wrong place :o

About 4 years ago I filed suit against a beauty therapy company for damages to my skin because of their faulty equipment. My lawyer got an engineer to go to check their equipment and issue a report as part of the case.
    I found out the engineer is charging a whopping 4,300. We had a psychology report done also and that was only about 600. I have heard that this sort of engineer report should by no means amount to more than 2.5 grand incl vat at most, which leaves me very stumped :confused:

My question is, does anybody have any experience with similar reports of cases and in your opinion, how much would an average engineer's report amount to?
    This guy is doing 12 hours x e245, making up e2940, adding on 600 just for photos taken aswell.. :confused: then vat on top of that. He's also charging me for the 3 times that the company rescheduled the appointment for him to check the machines.. Is that really fair to add those as expenses, and on to me aswell?

Any advice or perspective would really be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Complaints re legal fees go to the taxing master. I'm not sure about engineers reports and such are included. What has your solicitor to say about all of this? They would be your first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 FerretFighterX

The solicitor himself has been unfortunately rather useless and throughout the case in general, nevermind this part. Only concerned with getting his own fees, not so much our issues or concerns.

He just waffled on trying to justify it about, saying how about how 2205 of it was for the 3 cancellations on the company's part (your man is charging 3 hours at e245 for each cancellation, making 9 hours at e2205) and saying that that's just his price etc etc.. Is it not ridiculous for me to give that amount for needless cancellations on their part?

I looked up the taxing master, thank you for the reference. It says they don't have any investigative powers for excessive legal charges, but did link the Law Society of Ireland for that. Same as you, not sure if that covers reports but will look into it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

There is provision under the rules in Order 99 RSC to have one item referred to taxation. You don't have to get the whole Bill taxed from what I remember. They are very helpful in the Taxing Master's Office. You can ring them or just drop into them on Merchant's Quay.

Advertisement