Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Horizontally opposed - No googling!!

Options
  • 30-08-2008 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭

OK - in light of a new forum with a more "general" car talk attitude, or in case we just chill out the Motors forum a bit and leave the rest as it is, here's one for ye!
    NO Google, NO Wiki, NO Yahoo - or any other search engine or book. Just from the heads guys!!

Name 3 cars with flat engines! Only one example from any given type!
    Feel free to discuss the merits of chosen cars!

Flat 4 :
    Afla Romeo 33, Alfasud, 145, Sprint. (Italy)
    Subaru Impreza, Legacy, Legacy Diesel. (Japan)
    Volkswagen Beetle. (Germany)

Flat 6 :
    Chevrolet Corvair. (USA)
    Porsche Boxter/Cayman, 911. (Germany)
    Subaru SVX, Legacy, Tribeca. (Japan)

Flat 8:
    (this might be hard, I think only F1 and one other racing car had this layout).

Flat 12 :
    Ferrari Testarossa, Berlinetta Boxer. (Italy)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Subaru SVX
    Porsche Boxster
    Are the the same type? At 1am I can't think of another... don't some bikes have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Biro wrote: »
    OK - in light of a new forum with a more "general" car talk attitude, or in case we just chill out the Motors forum a bit and leave the rest as it is, here's one for ye!
    NO Google, NO Wiki, NO Yahoo - or any other search engine or book. Just from the heads guys!!

Name 3 cars with flat engines! Only one example from any given type!
    Feel free to discuss the merits of chosen cars!

I feel so helpless, this is the type of thing that I don't really bother with....but one can always learn:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

VW Beetle and Subaru Impreza spring to mind straight away, both have a very distinctive noise, don't know if the beetle would be as charismatic were it not for its whistley off beat thrum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Volvo s80.
    Would also have said the porsche 911 but that was already said...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Volvo s80.
    Would also have said the porsche 911 but that was already said...

Oh wait im getting confused between flat and straight am i?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

MYOB wrote: »
    Subaru SVX
    Porsche Boxster
    Are the the same type? At 1am I can't think of another... don't some bikes have them?

Both flat 6's... good suggestions though!
    Yep, I think some bikes do have flat engines, but I'm no bike nerd, so we'll keep it to cars!

Oh wait im getting confused between flat and straight am i?

To my mind, the S80 only has straight and V engines. 911 is valid though, flat 6, the boxter was mentioned, not 911.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm pretty sure the ironic Greenpeace favourite the 2CV is a boxer as well, (probably a lightweight)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Subaru impreza,vw beetle,panhard PL17,all have flat engines..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Honda goldwing not sure if 4 or 6 though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

colm_mcm wrote: »
    VW Beetle and Subaru Impreza spring to mind straight away, both have a very distinctive noise, don't know if the beetle would be as charismatic were it not for its whistley off beat thrum

I love love the sound of the beetle dont know what it is just do
    hate the car though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Flat 4 - Alfa 33. Flat 12 - Ferrari Testarossa/365.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The Alfa Sud was a flat 4 I think

The new Subaru Legacy petrol is a 3.0 Flat 6 and I think the diesel is a flat 4 or 6.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Beetles always were flat fours, not flat sixes ...with one exception.
    VW did develop a flat six at some stage which may or may not have ended up in in a beetle or 411 or whatever, but they dropped it when they went for the Golf Passat with the inline four engines.
    Their house tuner Oettinger then got the engine, added water cooling to it and stuck into a few Transporters ...rare as hens teeth, those are (3.2 liter, as far as I remember)

Another flat4 was the citroen GS ..lovely engine

As for flat 8's ...didn't Tatra make flat 8's or were those V8 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭MarkN

flat 6: Technically the Cayman and Cayman S but same engine as Boxster. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Cessna 172:pac:

De Hipster wrote: »
    Honda goldwing not sure if 4 or 6 though

I think it had both, 4 first, then 6 later, but cars only here!!

Flat 4 - Alfa 33. Flat 12 - Ferrari Testarossa/365.

I was wondering how long it'd take for someone to suggest the Testarossa! :)
    Not sure about the 365, the Berlinetta had alright.

We're missing a country still!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Biro wrote: »
    We're missing a country still!

Chevrolet Corvair had a flat six, if I'm not mistaken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

BMW motorbikes are flat twins and aircooled to boot.

peasant wrote: »
    Chevrolet Corvair had a flat six, if I'm not mistaken

That's the missing link!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I dunno if this counts, but the BRM H16 engine is basically two flat 8s stacked one on top of the other, with the crankshafts geared together. It was raced back in the late 60s I think, but was a disaster because of how heavy it was and the high CofG. I have heard a few sound clips from it and the BRM v16, my god are they the sweetest sounding engines ever!!!

Timmaay wrote: »
    I dunno if this counts, but the BRM H16 engine is basically two flat 8s stacked one on top of the other, with the crankshafts geared together. It was raced back in the late 60s I think, but was a disaster because of how heavy it was and the high CofG. I have heard a few sound clips from it and the BRM v16, my god are they the sweetest sounding engines ever!!!

I think the only Flat 8's were Porsche in F1 and another race series car, forget which. Don't think there was any road going version.
    That sums up this game I think, well done knowledgable people!!

Someone else's turn now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Jowett Javelin, it starred in Ballykissangel and my dad used to own one. The Jupiter, a sportier coupe/roadster version used the same engine AFAIK. What do I win?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Alfa Romeo Arna (flat 4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

peasant wrote: »
    Another flat4 was the citroen GS ..lovely engine

Interesting that, they also had a Wankel rotary engine aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The alfasud had a fantastic flat 4 engine especially the 1.5 twin carb, one which everyone has missed was the Lancia Gamma which also had a flat 4, 2 litre and 2.5 litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What a brilliant thread, honestly never knew Citroen used to make rotary engines never mind flat 4 engines.

+1000 to the OP.

Can we have more of these please?

This is exactly the type of stuff that I want to see on a Motors forum.

It does do to show how boring modern cars have become, they're like all the friggin same at this stage really, yes they're faster, more reliable, safer, more economical, but where's the innovation and quirkiness all gone to?

Modern engines are getting more and more efficient, and that's all well and good, but it is genuinely sad to see how so many Volvos now only have 4 rather than 5 cylinders(I wouldn't mind but they sounded fantastic too:(), and the same goes for Audi, for years they were famous for their 5 pot engines, and BMW have quietened down their 6 cylinder models so much one wonders what's the point in having one.

When you see Lotus developing a 3 cylinder engine(they have a 1.5 turbo 3 pot in development), Merc now saying that their Bluetec hybrids will only need 4 cylinders for anything up to "3.0 litres" (a 300 Bluetec hybrid will have a 2.2 4 pot diesel, even the S300 which is a crying shame); this from a make that was always about refinement, VW replacing the V6 Golf with a dreary 4 pot that will sound crap above 4000 rpm like all 4 pots do, BMW now thinking that a straight 6 covers everything up to "4.0 litres"(and there was a time when a "3.5" BMW meant a V8) it really does not leave me with a lot of hope for the future of the internal combustion engine, it's just all becoming the same old stuff these days.

In short, modern engines are getting very, very dull.

Faster and more powerful, but all the character, drama and excitement is definately falling by the wayside. I really expected more from the manufacturers than just chopping cylinders at the drop of a hat, especially when one considers how innovative car makers can be when they really want to.

Performance isn't everything; I'd happily lose power for a better exhaust note, and what better way to get a better exhaust note than having an engine with more cylinders?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You can add the Forrester to the rest of the Subarus under Flat 4...

Advertisement