Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on what second car to purchase, Budget of 14000

• 02-09-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    To start off I am a 23 year old with 1 year's driving experience on my full license, I am just looking for advice on what car to purchase as I am looking to get rid of my 2005 Opel Astra.
    My average commute is around 30 km a day.
    I have a budget of 14000 euro but ideally would prefer to not use it all up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Honda Civic 1.8 140bhp ? Should easily get a clean example for well under 14k. I've never driven one but I've heard that they are good on petrol and have a nice bit of power in them too.

Do you plan on sticking to a car around the same size as the Astra ?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AH92

Honda Civic 1.8 140bhp ? Should easily get a clean example for well under 14k. I've never driven one but I've heard that they are good on petrol and have a nice bit of power in them too.

Do you plan on sticking to a car around the same size as the Astra ?
    I don't mind on going for a bigger car like the audi a4,a5 or the bmw 3 series or the 5 series. Only worry is how high my insurance will jump!

With one years ncb you'll probably be forking out a few quid to insure any of the above. With your annual mileage you would be best of sticking with petrol.

A Golf tsi would be another option, either 1.2 or 1.4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.0 litre turbo Ecoboost Focus is within budget:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.0-TURBO/200714371268769460/

Thanks for the recommendations, Is it best to get the bigger cars such as the a4/ 5 series when I am over the age of 25? Looking at that ford focus ecoboost on the link above it looks lovely and seems very economical!

• Advertisement

You would be looking at a older A4 or 5 Series on your budget. Insurance would probably be more expensive especially with a low NCB Better off getting a few more years NCB under your belt and then move onto something else then.

I've just been looking at a few more cars and surprisingly I'm really liking the volkswagen passat cc!

Had one of those, lovely car but they hold their values well.

AH92 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations, Is it best to get the bigger cars such as the a4/ 5 series when I am over the age of 25? Looking at that ford focus ecoboost on the link above it looks lovely and seems very economical!

Depends, I'm under 25 and have a 1.8 mondeo and insurance is fairly decent for me.

Don't have much if any experience with higher end German cars though. However if insurance wasnt too bad on you, the A4 1.8t 160bhp is another option.

Those Ford ecoboost engines aren't as economical as they are made out to be on paper so that's just something for you to be aware of.

Another suggestion is the 1.6 Valvematic Avensis.

Yea I was fancying one of the Audi's at the start tbf just wasn't sure what engine to go for etc. but at least I have an idea to stick with petrol thanks to recommendations on this thread :) Anyone know if the Volkswagen Scirocco's are any good?

• Advertisement

Mechanically it's the same as a Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Steve320

Tsi are an awesome engine 140hp and good on juice wouldn't go too far wrong with one

Except the chains stretch.

Advertisement